“Atmosphere”

W.A. Frost & Company
Reserve with OpenTable
W.A. Frost & Company is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 889 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Western Ave.
State College, PA
“Atmosphere”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My husband and I had dinner here for our anniversary this weekend. The atmosphere of both the bar and the restaurant area is fabulous. Very old world, classic decor. They were fully booked that evening so the service was a little slower than it might be on an average night but, it was not a problem by any means. We got a small cheese plate and shrimp for starters- both were very good. My husband's duck was great but my halibut was a bit dry. I've had better food at Saint Paul restaurants that are less expensive (e.g., Happy Gnome) but the decor and feeling can't be matched. Overall, this is a perfect restaurant for special occasions and we plan to come back for drinks at the bar throughout the year.

1 Thank katums1985

Chaska, Minnesota
“Pleasant patio”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

It was a weekday lunch. They weren't busy and I felt as though when we checked in that since we didn't have a reservation that we were not exactly welcome. Even though the patio was open they crowed us into this one tiny section! I asked to sit on the outer rim and was told those were reserved even though no one ever showed to sit there, and we closed the patio down. The bees outside were terrible and by the time most people received there food they opted to go inside. We tried to take advantage of the 1/2 price bottle of wine but found that they were out of most of the ones listed on the menu. It left me feeling like it was a ploy to get you to order a more expensive bottle of wine. for the caliber of restaurant I was under impressed by how the waitress was dressed. I realize it was colder out. but the disgusting sweatshirt jacket was dirty and just a turn off. The food was not that much to rave about. They have a lovely outside patio, a real zen area.

1 Thank lori730
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Who knew-there ARE great restaurants outside of Minneapolis”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

People may rave about "eat street" and other restaurant areas in Minneapolis, but if you want a nice night out in a slightly more quiet neighborhood, head East to Cathedral Hill in St. Paul. W.A. Frost has won awards for their patio, but their menus (food AND wine) are hard to beat! The food is semi-seasonal, and even their late Fall menu is awesome (I am recalling a pumpkin spiced soup that was to die for). Their wine list could be the most extensive in the cities. I almost could fault them for this if there weren't so many world class wines in their cellar. If you don't have much of an idea, their staff is very well trained on wine selection and can make excellent recommendations! If you just want to come in for drinks, the bar side has some seating options upstairs, but the real gem is their renovated "catacombs" in the basement. It is so cool and intimate to be able to have drinks with your friends in one of the alcoves in the basement. Be warned, you may be waiting a while for one of these choice spots!

• Visited May 2013
Farmington, Minnesota
“Great for a relaxing anniversary dinner!”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

My husband and I had dinner here on our 16th wedding anniversary (9/6). Because of the special occasion, we elected to choose the tasting menu ($65 per person) and I went for the wine pairing as well (making my meal $100 per person). The food was delicious.

The service was a bit slow, but I think that is just how they roll... they want you to savor your food. Once we learned to relax a bit, we really enjoyed our meal.

The waitress served our desserts with candles to help commemorate our event.

Note: Our particular tasting menu recommended a beer to go with the cheese plate portion of the meal. I told them I didn't care for beer, and they were happy to accomodate me. So don't be afraid to recommend alternatives should you wish to try the wine pairing.

Chicago
“Felt like a trip back in time”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Decided to go here for some after dinner drinks and dessert with some local family that have been talking about it for years. We decided to have drinks in the lower level with its private alcoves appointed with antique furniture and vintage charm. We knew all the attention was focused on the outdoor patio so we went up to the bar to grab our drinks and head back down to the wonderful private 4 person room were we have complete privacy away from the other bottom bar goers. Their Tea selection was fabulous and the "Kit Kat Bar" was to die for with maldon sea salt caramel, hazelnut praline, house made Chai ice cream that hit the spot. I can;t wait to go back sometime soon and check out the outdoor patio!