“Dinner out with Friends”
Review of Tanpopo Noodle Shop - CLOSED

Tanpopo Noodle Shop
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We had a great evening out with friends. Tanpopo was a perfect place to have great conversation and good food.

Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

Our table of for had a variety of things including spicy tuna rolls, mushroom soup, chicken noodles, and tempura shrimp. Everything was perfect and arrived quickly. The place was fill of people from all walks of life from families, people dating, and groups of friends. Prices were fair and food was yummy. We all left full and happy. The spicy tuna roll was one of the best I've ever had.

1  Thank Rgrace33
Reviewed 16 July 2012

What a delish dish we all had... if you like udon noodles, delicous broth with delectable things like wild mushrooms, homemade kim chee or something tempura or tonkatsu floating on top... Tanpopo will warm your cockles. It did mine from the first slurp... mmmm.... good! Felt like something your grandma would make and yet oddly like a contemporary asian fusion resturant all at once,l making you smile. Great place to begin your weekend, get a bite after work or just go to get a great bowl of noodles... highly recommended.

1  Thank Flyingypsy
Reviewed 25 February 2012

As the stars indicate, J food in Minnesota does not get any better.
Ventured here with gf recently for a great meal.

I appreciate the vibe in Tanpopo. They didn't decorate it to make 20,30 somethings feel like they are cool and trendy. There's no sushi bar. This is a noodle shop first. They do have sushi, of course and it's adequate. Just as a suggestion though, if you consider yourself a sushi snob, go elsewhere. Sushi isn't their thing here, noodles and other delicious J foods are.
Also, about the only negative I have to report is service is kind of slow. Slow but very friendly, helpful, and make recommendations you can trust.

Heres what we had:
Tonkatsu Teishoku: pork cutlet, breaded. Covered in tonkatsu sauce. This was excellent. It comes as a set, with rice, miso soup, and a salad. I appreciate this restaurant so much, I feel like I'm dining in Japan again. The salad had a delicious sesame dressing on it. The miso was served with the meal the way it is meant and supposed to be...which few Japanese joints seem to understand or care about in this town. I was very happy with this meal. My stomach was very happy too.

We got a couple apps: edamame and agedashi tofu. Both were good. GF really liked the tofu. Me, well tofu just doesn't thrill me like it does her. I gladly donated my share of the tofu to her cause.

Kitsune Udon: Kitsune is deep fried, thin slices of tofu. If you didn't look closely it could be mistaken for meat. My gf reported it had a sweet flavor. I only tried the noodles and broth...tofu...bleh. Udon noodles were great and for udon connoisseurs, the broth has a strong flavor..kanto/tohoku style. Good.

For desert we tried the sweet potato creme brulee. I'm not a huge desert eater but I give this one high marks. It wasn't super sweet like I was expecting and tasted very, very good. I had to use self-control to not eat all of it which saved me from enduring "the look" from my gal.

All in all a great night and a great meal. I highly recommend and I shall return!

Reviewed 27 January 2012

We enjoyed a relaxing dinner at Tanpopo before heading out to a movie later that night. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly, and the meals are quite authentic. Ther were several families with children (very well-behaved!) as well as groups of adults of all ages. Tanpopo is far more enjoyable and authentic than the high-priced shushi places or franchises around town. We felt like we were in someone's home, it was that comfortable and quiet. We had three noodles dishes and the broth, ingredients, and preparation were just right.