Taste of Thailand
Ranked #588 of 910 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I enjoy solo dining. And this used to be one of my favorite places for it. I have no problems with the food but at the same time I don´t find the restaurant especially clean and fear for it´s kitchen. Every time I visit Saint Paul however I go here just to have their spicy lemongrass soup and often order an extra portion with me. Have also tried other items on the menu, and is rarely really disappointed, but the service can be really slow.

Plus for WIFI and good prices on the wine.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Whenever I am in St Paul I make it a point to stop at the Taste of Thailand. My last visit was 12/2/2013 for Dinner. I ordered the Shrimp Pad Thai and fresh Spring Rolls. Both were good. Only one other table was occupied at 7:00 pm. Yes the decor isn't much. However the service was fine and my food arrived quickly. The prices are reasonable for the St Paul area. I have also been there for lunch on many occasions. The buffet food is good for a buffet. Especially the Thai salads. This place is always worth a stop to me.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Drab decor, kind wait staff, food this time not so great. I have ordered delicious Pad Thai on many an occasion over the years and found it to be as yummy and authentic as that which I ordered in Bangkok. This time I ordered the "Laab" and found it to be as drab as the decor, I am sorry to say. The bed of lettuce and the cilantro were wilted, the mint was minimal and the "veggies" consisted of 4 slices of cucumber (which were crisp and fresh). The soup was a broth consisting of one peapod, one decorative slice of carrot, a few bits of scallion, scant sprig of parsley and almost no flavor. I have enjoyed wonderful Laab dishes at other Thai restaurants in St. Paul - this particular meal was disappointing. I really wish I could give a better report.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

My wife and I recently visited this place in our neighborhood on a late evening after just moving to St Paul. We had to have something that was open late as it was 9pm as we needed asian food in a bad way! We found the restaurant and were only 1 of 2 couples in the place. A handful of people stopped for last minute take out.

The atmosphere....they need some updating. It is delightfully run down. Carpet a little sticky.

The food and service, however, more than made up for it. The staff was extremely accommodating and polite in helping as with some food allergies we have. Our waiter was very diligent with the allergies, coming back to our table 3 times to offer alternatives and confirmations.

For appetizers we had the fresh spring rolls which were very good and a little different in that they were very tightly wrapped with a super sweet clear peanut sauce. Departure from my usual Vietnamese fresh spring rolls which tend to be looser with a brown savory nut sauce.

For entrees, we had the Duck Curry and the Phad Thai with tofu. Both were excellent and plentiful. The curry sauce was great.

The bad. I asked for some extra rice for my duck curry as the sauce was thin, but flavorful. I was charged TWO DOLLARS on the bill for 1 cup of rice. This struck me as nickel and diming.

The beer prices are quite high. $4.75 for domestics and $5.75 for imports, including the Lao and Thai beers. 2 beers equaled the price of an entree!

We will be back. The food was very tasty.

Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

We constantly order from here, living close by in the neighborhood. We have stuck through we these guys for a while, even though they do need some major adjustments. Even if you order your food ahead to take out, you will most likely wait another 10-20 minutes for them to finish the order. This can even occur when there are few people in the eat in part of the restaurant. The food is authentic and very tasty, and the people who work there are very nice, but also have very thick accents. The price is a little much for some items, but overall not too bad.