“PRETTY GOOD!”
Review of Happy Gnome

Happy Gnome
Reserve with OpenTable
Happy Gnome is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 908 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Selby and MacKubin
Transit: The 21 drops off right in front.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I recently ate at the Happy Gnome. Pretty good menu variety which we greatly appreciated. I had a veggie "juicy lucy" which was outstanding. The fries that came with the selection were great,too.
Good help from waitstaff as this was our first visit but not our last!

1  Thank jameslouie

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We recently moved to Saint Paul, and we've had a few out-of-town guests. The first thing we do is take them to The Happy Gnome for lunch, and then head down the street for a tour of the Cathedral and/or the Hill House. Despite the magnificence of the church and the impressive nature of Hill House, everyone always comes back to "My god, that was a great lunch!"

The tap line here is amazing - so many good beers, so little time. Unless you keep coming back, so maybe that's just a marketing ploy. ;) But this is a gastropub, and the "gastro" is equal - if not better - to the "pub."

They have a beautiful steak tartare - one of my favorites in the Cities. The charcuterie plate is more than enough for two people, or you can spread it to three if you get a salad or two. I have a friend who is a professional chef in NorCal, and she thought it was the best charcuterie she had ever had, and couldn't believe it was an affordable $20. The soups and salads are reliably good - a cup is more than enough if you're getting an entree. The PEI mussels with creme fraiche and chorizo are always amazing, and they have a nice burger as well. Basically, it's hard to go wrong here - there is definitely an attention to detail paid to the food that makes this a wonderful place to eat.

The atmosphere is nice. We frequently eat in the bar - it's nice people watching on Selby. We haven't been able to get onto the patio, so it must be a good one. :) And there are gnomes everywhere you look, so it's always fun to look for them. The service is also good, and we've found the waitstaff to be knowledgeable about both the beers and the food.

This is one of our favorite places to eat in the Cities, hands down.

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I didn't eat at the Happy Gnome although the food I observed looked really, really good. I came for the craft beer and was not disappointed. Great craft beer selection with emphasis on local crafts. The bar has a warm feel and the bartenders were friendly and very beer savvy. Definitely looking forward to coming back in the future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Lucky enough to catch a beautiful summer day, we ate out on the patio where it was just delightful. Hubby had the half chicken with risotto which was delectable and I had a cup of their wonderful tomato with blue cheese soup (pledged we would try to copy it at home) and their mussels. Mussels dish was too many to eat - first time I've ever left uneaten mussels in the bowl! Great, memorable meal in a wonderful setting.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Been here several times and have never been disappointed! My wife has enjoyed the Duck Burger, and the Poutine is also great. I especially like the Wild Boar entree. The huge selection of drafts are listed according to style and taste, helping you to navigate to your choice. The staff are very helpful and quite familiar with all the menu items. You will love this gastropub!