“Family friendly and a good place to stay”

Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Paul - Downtown
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Rochester, Minnesota
“Family friendly and a good place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

My family and I have stayed at many hotels and chains when we travel and even though St Paul is only an hour from our home, we still spend a few weekends a year at the Embassy Suites in St Paul. With the large rooms, happy hour, free cook to order breakfast, helpful staff, and a decent price place to eat inside of the hotel (seem much worse. Corks is very reasonable), this is a great hotel to visit for work or for fun.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

MRDOSM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Paul - Downtown, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for the excellent review given to our hotel on July 29th. We certainly appreciate hearing about what made your stay with us special, and really enjoy hearing that you continue to return when in Saint Paul. We share all of our reviews with all of our team members in an effort to continue the improvement of our overall guest experience at the hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again

Embassy Suites Saint Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Duluth, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

My son and I were in St Paul for his college registration and orientation. I booked 2 rooms and after a busy day of tours we checked in around 7:30 PM. I initially was pleased to see rooms were nicely appointed with updated furnishings but it didn't take long to see that this hotel was not being taken care of. The drapery in my room was actually shredded in areas and filthy. The bed was sloppily made and carpet looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. Drops of water still standing in bathtub. My son's room had 8 spiders crawling around the bedroom window and ceiling so they switched him to another room which was also so filthy that someone had drawn a happy face in the filth on the window. His 2nd room also had standing water in the clogged bathtub. We checked out of this hotel by 9:00 PM to have a great nights stay at the Crown Plaza. The GM at this location apologized for our experience and offered Hilton Honor points but I will never consider staying at this location again. If only one room was neglected, you could consider it an oversight but to have all three rooms dirty...that is indigative of poor management. I have also stayed at the Minneapolis airport location within the past year and had an unclean room and was given a free nights stay offer but will never use it. Wondering if both locations are under the same GM?

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere if your standards are to sleep in a clean, well maintained hotel.
1 Thank T K
We have been in contact with this guest regarding the condition they found there rooms in. The rooms that the guest checked into were not up to the standard that we have set for ourselves and more importantly the standard that the guests of our hotel have. We have investigated the situation and identified where the laps took place between cleaning the rooms and the inspection process and have taken action to correct this.

The two Embassy properties mentioned are not affiliated in any way with each other. We share all reviews with our associates to ensure we continue to improve the quality of our hotel and the guest experience.

We truly do apologize for this situation and sincerely hope that we can arrange for a opportunity to earn your trust and business back.

Johnston, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had to wait about an hour for our suite. They gave us drink tickets for their bar. We ordered appetizers and drinks. Hotel ended up coming our appetizers as well. Food was Fabulous.
We had a large luxurious suite. Only downsize - tiny bathroom. But with the mirrors in the bedrooms as well as wet bar in living room, make up and hair wasn't an issue.
Hotel hosts a huge happy hour nightly and an even larger made to order breakfast by real live chefs.
Top notch meal.
Also a huge family hotel large pool area and entertainment for children. The hotel is large enough that children have room to play.
Hotel also has lobby with a stream, ponds and ducks!
Price . . . Incredible value.
Thank you embassy suites!

Room Tip: Corner suite. We saw some bad reviews for this property that were a few years old. We took a gambl...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
MRDOSM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Paul - Downtown, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for the review given to our hotel on July 27th. We certainly appreciate you sharing what made your stay special as well as those things we could improve on. We are continually working with our associates to provide an exceptional experience for all of our guests.

Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I travel all over the US and stay in hotels approximately 250+ nights a year. This was one of the most disappointing hotel stays I've had in 6 years. I spent 7 weeks here (Monday-Friday) from June 11-Aug 1 for a business related trip. I was working in downtown Minneapolis but due to the All Star game festivities and it being summertime, I was unable to secure a hotel in Minneapolis for a decent rate. So, I opted to stay in St. Paul and drove into Minneapolis each day. I checked in every Sunday and out every Friday as I flew home to FL on the weekends. EVERY Sunday when I checked in I had an issue. There was never a week where the room was properly stocked. I was either missing a luggage rack, towels, wash cloths, a bath mat, toilet tissue, etc. One week, neither of the two phones in my room worked. It took maintenance 3 days to even come to my room and address the problem. I had to use my cell phone to call the hotel restaurant to order some dinner. Another week, NONE of the electrical outlets in my room worked. It again took maintenance days to correct this. I had to pray that my cell phone would keep a charge long enough through the night so that my alarm would go off in the morning as I had no way to plug it in to charge it - and this went on for three days! The rooms are fine as far as size goes and the TV lineup is pretty good. The bathrooms in the non-handicapped rooms however are tiny and the bathroom door opens into the shower which is extremely awkward. The lighting in the bathrooms is also extremely poor. The elevators are also painfully slow as the hotel is fairly old and not very well maintained. The most disappointing part of my stay was that after 7 weeks....they still could not get things right. Even the last Sunday I checked in ... my room phones again did not work and I had one towel and no wash cloths, bath mat or even a roll of toilet tissue. The only thing that is somewhat decent about the hotel is the restaurant. The waiters and bartenders at Cork's Irish pub are terrific. The food is ok, it's no better or worse than any other hotel pub. However, the service staff at Cork's is great. They were the one positive thing about my stay. All in all, I would stay somewhere else if you are looking for reliable housekeeping and reliable basic room functionality. The desk staff tried but it's clear that they are dealing with a substandard housekeeping and maintenance staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor (8th) to avoid having people above you. Also ask to be away from th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for the reveiw given to our hotel on July 24th. I am very sorry that your stays with us did not meet up to your expectations, and from the sound of it they did not meet my expectations that we have set for the hotel either. We knew exactly what it would take to make sure you had a great experience and time after time we dropped the ball. I cannot apologize enough for that. We will be working with this guest in order to make this situation right.

We share all of our reviews with all of our staff in order to continue improving both the guest service as well as the overall experience in the hotel.

North Dakota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We need a handicap accessible room with a wheel chair and the rooms are very spacious and the bathroom was one of the best setups we have experienced in all of our travels. The breakfasts were awesome

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

MRDOSM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Paul - Downtown, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you very much for the review given tou our hotel on July 23rd. We certainly appreciate all of your feedback. We are certainly blessed with a great locations as well as staff to deliver exceptional guest service.

We look forwardto seeing you again
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Pros: Comfortable bed, clean room, updated furniture, restaurant close (inside of hotel), small balcony, friendly staff.

Cons: Internet access not included, have to pay per three hours or per day, elevators very slow, would be nice if they had stairs also, not enough parking spaces on weekends, house keeping doesn't clean the room, they just empty trash cans, they removed towels that I had left hanging in bathroom, almost crushed my finger trying to let the old ironing board down.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for the review given to our hotel on July 23rd. We appreciate you sharing what you enjoyed about the hotel as well as what we could do to make your next stay more enjoyable. I am excited to let you know that all of our elevators are in the process of being renovated and when completed will be faster and more efficient for our guests to use.

We share all of our guest responses with all of our staff in an effort to continue improving both our service as well as the overall gyuest experience.

Louisville, KY, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I travel throughout the country and almost always stay at a Hilton related hotel. This one is not in the best location, but it worked very nicely for my meeting downtown St. Paul. They were able to let me into my room about 11:00 am and gave me breakfast to go before regular hours. Very positive experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

MRDOSM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Paul - Downtown, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for the excellent review given to our hotel on July 18th We are certainly happy to hear we were able to accomodate all of your needs while staying wityh us and we certainly look forward to your returning again soon.