“Dirty, Unsafe, and Disgusting.”

Motel 6 St Paul I-94
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Ottawa, Canada
“Dirty, Unsafe, and Disgusting.”
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend in July as we were crossing back through the states on our two month trip.

This is by far the worst Super 8 I've ever stayed at. As I walked into the room I could tell it was definitely not properly cleaned. The sink still had dirt and beard hairs all over it, the tub had hair on the walls and the floor of the tub still had dirt in it. The bed seemed like it was just quickly made too. (Not to mention the fact that all we got was a TINY double bed. I wouldn't even really consider it a double).. Who knows, the room may have not even been attempted to be cleaned.

Another thing was the fact that the area seemed quite unfavorable. There were sketchy characters roaming around and the back door remained propped open because it didn't shut properly on it's own. This is highly unsafe and anyone could walk in through the back at any given moment.

The breakfast was a typical super 8 motel breakfast with nothing special but at least they served a free breakfast.

I stayed at 3 super 8's in a row, three consecutive nights, with the same layout, and this was by far the most terrible. The other two were VERY clean in comparison and much more worth the money.

If I hadn't made the bid through priceline, and only paid 37$ with tax included I probably would have been a little bit more frustrated with the hotel. I still HIGHLY, DO NOT RECOMMEND anyone to stay here. Unless you like unsafe, and dirty hotel rooms....

Room Tip: do not get a room at this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Melanie T
DennisStone, General Manager at Motel 6 St Paul I-94, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete a Trip Advisor review. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. I can assure you that any cleanliness issues have been addressed with our housekeeping department. We have just put into place a room inspection report where are General Manager, Assistant General Manager and Head Housekeeper are inspecting at least 5 rooms per day at random. If a room scores 80 or below they housekeeping - room attendant will be repromanded due to cleanliness issues.

It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. If you have any questions please feel free to contact the property directly.

Dennis L. Stone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Well, buyer beware, I guess. I'm not sure how this place received 3.5 circles, though perhaps it is a result of people not blaming the hotel for its clientele.

My son and I were just stopping overnight on our way through Minnesota, so all we needed was a room, not a bunch of amenities, nor a great location.

However, this place was 'home' to some unsavoury characters. The area outside the lobby was populated with people who were sitting, swearing, smoking, and spitting. My son and I had to walk the gauntlet through this crowd to get to the entrance and to check in. In the lobby, a toddler clad in nothing more than a diaper was running around while his mom shouted at him unseen in the breakfast room (which was open, though we arrrived at about 8-9 PM).

At check in, we were told that the room we had booked and prepaid for was not available. We had booked a room with two double beds, but all they had were rooms with one double bed, so they gave us two of those. My son is eleven and I'm not even sure if it's legal to leave him alone in a hotel room (I think the cutoff for leaving a child alone for a short time is 11 or 12); the legality of leaving him alone was a moot point. My son felt unsafe, and I wasn't crazy about the place either, so we bunked together in one of the rooms in a tiny double bed.

The doorknob fell off in the bathroom; one of the two exercise machines in the weight room didn't work, and the other didn't work properly; the air conditioning in the exercise room didn't work, nor was there any air circulation. Also, the free breakfast was decidedly lacking in options, though for the price I paid, I hadn't been expecting much.

If I had gone there alone, I doubt I'd have been quite as concerned about safety or about the guests with the colorful vocabulary that greeted us at the entrance. As it was, this was easily the worst hotel we stayed at on our two week holiday, and one of the worst I've visited in the last five years.

I strongly recommend against families staying here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Arrogant_Worm

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. I can assure you that we have addressed your areas of concerns with guests congregating around the entry area and unsupervised children. We have conducted a front desk meeting where all your issues have been addressed.

Travellers are raving about these Saint Paul hotels

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Recently stayed for a family members wedding and the head mexican - older woman housekeeper stole $700 worth of my jewelry! Spent one hour trying to get the items back! Workers were acting like they didnt speak spanish! The head housekeeper then grabbed a trash bag that was supposedly from the room, and grabbed the items from her pocket and dropped it in trying ot be sneaky! Hotel would not refund cost of hotel room. WILL NEVER stay here again! DO NOT BRING ANY personal belongings to this hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank holly A

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. When dealing with valuables such as jewelry I recommend that guests not place them in what would appear to be garbage. This guest placed her $700.00 worth of jewelry in a coffee cup with a lid on it. Housekeeping ended up finding the jewelry after searching through garbage bag after garbage bag.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I'm not going to knock the hotel management and owner but I've stayed at or near this hotel many times and I have to say that it's a bit "ghetto". Mostly the location, being on the notorious "East Side" of St. Paul with ample quantities of criminals around. The hotel staff tries to keep this riff raft out as best they can but the cops are here all the time with problems.

Chances are, you may not have any trouble here and it's a convenient location but I've seen several rooms being rented out on weekly and monthly basis to homeless people, crack heads and druggies. I think you will find a mix of cheap business travelers, some families, young party kids, and a few drug users. I just wouldn't stay here with my kids and get stuck on the elevator ride with some crack heads and prostitutes. I think there are far better choices around with less trouble. Plus, why would I want to sleep in a bed where some of these dirty grubby people have been sleeping?

I would recommend the Holiday Inn at I-94 / McKnight. It might cost a bit more but it's 10 times better.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank mytravels234

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. We do have weekly and monthly specials that we offer year round. We do call the police anytime their assistance is needed.

Sauk Centre, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 March 2011

I got this hotel room through Hotwire for $29 + tax (which wound up being about $39 after that was factored in.)

This hotel was simple, fairly clean, and decently comfortable for a one-night stay. The room was somewhat small, though more spacious because there was only one double bed (as I got a single room). The bed was clean, though the comforter did have a couple of grease-looking stains on it, along with some pin-size holes. Nothing chronic, however, and not enough to mark it down considerably.

The room itself was clean, with basic amenities. The sink was outside the bathroom, and the bathroom itself felt very small at first, though I got used to it. The pad of paper looked worn and only had a couple of sheets left on it.

The hallway was somewhat musty, and the elevator smelled of smoke. Not overbearingly so, but enough that people with sensitive lungs may have trouble with it.

There was a basic (rolls, cereal, bread, juice, milk, and coffee) breakfast served in the morning. Some people in the hotel seem to take the tray to the breakfast area, fill it with food, and go back to their room and eat. It also appeared that there are some people that live in the hotel. However, the people that I encountered at the breakfast bar were friendly, so they don't seem to be those that would cause a disturbance.

The staff was amazing. They were always friendly and more than willing to help. I never had an issue with them at all, and recommend them highly.

The neighborhood that the hotel is located in is shadier than a downtown hotel would be. I would not recommend walking outside after dark alone (except to a vehicle in the parking lot. The parking lot is well lit; however, the sidewalk to the bus station is not well lit between the hotel and the neighboring gas station.) As an anecdote, the staff has trouble keeping one of the side doors locked, as people put a rock in the doorframe to prop the door open. (I went to SuperAmerica to grab a few things and kicked the rock out on my way out, and it was propped back open already by the time I came back from SuperAmerica; about 10-15 minutes away, at most.)

There is a SuperAmerica next to the property, which has basic roller grill items and other gas station fare, including numerous cold and microwavable sandwiches and a wide variety of fountain pop. Located here is also a Metro Transit bus route (63, if I remember correctly.) Although I never took the bus on this trip, I have used Metro Transit before, and it is an okay option for getting from place to place. There is also a Walgreen's kiddy corner from the gas station, a Subway on that same corner, and another gas station located there also. A church is also located next to the hotel, if you're there on Sunday morning.

Ultimately, for $29 this hotel was a great value, and would recommend it if you're able to get a deal on it. I believe the standard rate is $69, and although at that rate it's not a great deal, it's not horrible. Although I have not stayed at it, there is a La Quinta about a tenth of a mile away with a pool (the Super 8 does not have one) that is either $79 or $89 a night, if I remember correctly. And if they ever charge the rates that are stated on the door in your room ($199 one person and $100 for each additional person), I'd look elsewhere. ;)

There are three pictures below (the TripAdvisor limit), but I took a few more. They're available online at https://picasaweb.google.com/104215874659031045387/Super8StPaul?feat=directlink if you want to look at them.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank jebr1337
DennisStone, General Manager at Motel 6 St Paul I-94, responded to this review, 7 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to complete this tripadvisor review. I am glad that we were able to accommodate you. We look forward to having you back again in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly for any future reservations you might need.

Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 March 2011

Stayed in this motel two weeks. No problems with cleanliness and service. This could be a nice hotel, but for the clientele: pity the poor children of divorce who may be staying there, but their progenitors are another matter . . .
There were people often hanging around the front door and in the lobby who were not of a welcoming disposition, to understate it.
The walls are thin, and I was awakened several times with noise from other rooms, but not every night.
I often saw what appeared to be a pitbull on a leash in the lobby; it neither growled nor lunged at me, but these dogs and their owners make me very, very nervous. I might stay at this motel again, but it will be a resort of last resort.

Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Aliennative
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to complete this tripadvisor review. I am glad that we were able to accommodate you during your stay in St. Paul, MN. We look forward to having you back again in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly for any future reservations you might need.

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 January 2011

Stayed here with my girlfriend after a long day at the Mall of America. The drive there from Mall of America seemed to take us through a bit of a ghetto area. The hotel was not in a very nice area either. The night we stayed there, some sort of domestic violence went down in the parking lot. I went to the front desk to ask if I could get a comb for my girlfriend, but no one was there. Next thing I know, a kid comes running in and said "he's [the front desk guy] dealing with a bad situation. There's a lady getting choked in the parking lot." I preceded to go back to my room, and dead bolt the door. I watched out the window a bit and saw a few police cars come a figure the situation out. After all of this, I kind of expected to go out the next morning and find my car up on blocks.

The hotel however was everything it needed to be. It had been recently renovated and was cozy and clean. There was the usual super 8 breakfast. Nothing too fancy. If only the girl with the ghetto mom did throw up everywhere in the breakfast room, I would have enjoyed it!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ferdusing

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. I can assure you that any cleanliness issues you encountered are definitely an isolated incident for this property.