“Worst hotel we've stayed at in a long time - very long time”

Motel 6 St Paul I-94
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I wish I read the above reviews before coming here. To say dingy and run-down is being kind. The St. Paul policeman in the lobby should have been our first warning. The women with the pierced nose at the desk wasn't overly friendly.

The elevator is still not working so we had to walk up to the third floor. The room has cigarette burns on the bed covers. The hair dryer is missing - there is a spot for it on the wall but no dryer. There is no fridge either. My wife opened the information binder and it was empty.

Unbelievable for $100 a night and its booked for the night. We would leave now but it's only for one night. Curious how breakfast will turn out in the morning.

Stayed: August 2014
Steven V, General Manager at Motel 6 St Paul I-94, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems and conditions you found during your stay. The hotel will be going through some major changes and improvements in the coming months. This is not an excuse for the issues you encountered, we are only excited about many positive changes coming very soon. Again, my deepest apologies for the environment and conditions you found unsatisfactory.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Had the misfortune to stay here during the annual BMW motorcycle owners rally. Had I known better I would have camped. The motel is dingy, run down and has a get-me-outta-here feel. The elevator did not work, and the carpeting in the stairs looked covered in caked-in grease. Frequent visits by city police to the premises suggested ongoing of trouble. On a positive note, the WiFi worked and the room was reasonably comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2014
Steven V, General Manager at Motel 6 St Paul I-94, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for your comments on your stay with us. Comments such as yours can only help us improve our service and hotel condition. My sincere apologies for the condition and the environment you felt were not to your standards. We are striving to improve the hotel in the coming month.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I had to book a room in St Paul en route so didn't look at reviews before booking, which turned out to be a mistake. I had stayed in a fabulous Super 8 in Asheville NC and when the receptionist said the St Paul location was 'newly renovated' I took that as a good sign.

There are families living in this hotel. It feels something like a cross between a welfare hotel and a public psychiatric hospital. When I arrived there were people congregating near the front door as if it was a park bench. There are two old cars for sale in the parking lot, with stuff wedged behind the tires, and a third of the rest of the cars had broken windows covered with duct tape and plastic wrap. The self-locking back door is often propped open with rocks.

In a non-smoking room the bed covers were stained and peppered with cigarette burns. The whole hotel smells of stale cigarette smoke. Nothing works. There is banging and shouting at all hours of the night. I only stayed the night because I had been driving for eight hours and it was after 10pm when I arrived but during the night I wondered if I'd make it out alive.

The staff are pleasant and know what a terrible place they work in and I felt bad for them as they dealt as well as they could with their awful work environment. The receptionist had clearly answered the same questions ('Why is my bedding covered with cigarette burns?' and 'Why does my room smell so bad?') over and over again. Given what they have to work with, I thought the cleaners were doing an okay job. To get this place really clean you'd need a hazmat kit.

Whatever the management say here about how welcome the feedback is, they 'will take action' to remedy what is wrong etc, it's just so much hot air. By the looks of the reviews absolutely nothing has changed in years. I can only surmise that it is more reliably profitable to have families living here in terrible conditions than it would be to clean it up and have to attract a new clientele who are looking for a few nights' stay in a nice, reasonably-priced hotel. (Not that this hotel is cheap even now; I think it was $100 per night for a room which should have cost $40 at best.)

I cannot believe Super 8 has not severed its ties with this franchisee. Because of this experience I will never book a Super 8 again. Really vile.

Room Tip: 1) Get in your car and drive as far from here as possible. 2) Book any other hotel in the area.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HANH47

Thank you for your comments. I have reviewed your concerns with our staff in efforts to correct many of the problems you identified during your stay. We are striving as a team to solve many of the issues you had during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you had with your stay with us.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

4 mi away
Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge
Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Paul - Downtown
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Paul East

Been to Motel 6 St Paul I-94? Share your experiences!