“Good Value and nice renovation”

Motel 6 St Paul I-94
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Denver
“Good Value and nice renovation”
Reviewed 13 February 2009

I stayed at this hotel for work during the week and was delighted with my stay. In the past I have stayed at Hampton Inns and other hotels and found this hotel to exceed the quality of my other stays. I will stay here on my next trip to the area and look forward to the stay.

• Liked — Fresh new look and very clean
  • Disliked — No eggs
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
DennisStone, General Manager at Motel 6 St Paul I-94, responded to this review, 11 May 2010
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to participate in the tripadvisor review. I am so glad that your experience with our newly renovated property was better then expected. Since your stay the hotel has finished up all the renovation from the previous year. We also have new management and front desk associates. We have really been focusing on customer service and cleanliness over the past 7-8 months. My hope is that each and every guest has the experience that you had during their stay with us. For future reservations feel free to call 651-771-5566 and ask for me directly.

Thanks and have a great day!

Dennis L. Stone / General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
scarletfires
Reviewed 9 September 2008

I stayed in this hotel for two nights, realized it was a disaster, and then switched to a hotel on the other side of town (my new hotel was still right on I-94...Days Inn Midway). The Days Inn was half the price (Super 8 had ridiculously inflated rates because a big convention was in town, Days Inn kept rates reasonable and had a pool and hot tub!).

The manager at this hotel was extremely nice and helpful, other employees were not. My room had bottom of the barrel furniture, very simplistic, would have been okay for $35-$40/night. The security door to the outside was broken, mgmt has told me this will be fixed in the future. Security failure allows people to enter from the back parking lot into the hotel and enter the second floor without passing the front desk. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that people live in this hotel and I witnessed what looked to be a meth-head blow in by this door. I did see one bug in my bed, but I think it must have come from outside. I lifted the mattress and looked for signs of infection, but found none.

There are limited choices for eating near the hotel, especially if you plan to walk. There is a Subway and Walgreens across the street. Also, there appears to be Thai restaurant next to the hotel, but it did not open the entire time I was there. It might be abandoned. The hotel does offer a continental breakfast, bagels, cereal, coffee, juice, milk. I attempted to refill one of the coffee carafes and saw how dirty it was. The coffee is also terribly weak (but what do you expect?)

While I was staying here I learned from one employee that people LIVE in this hotel. Live-in hotels seem to attract or cater to activities that made me, as single women staying alone, feel uncomfortable. I didn't have a car (I'm a graduate student and was trying to say on costs), so I was dependent on the bus to get to downtown St. Paul. The bus comes every 30 min (not very often) and it is difficult to figure out where to get off on the return trip (it takes a different route).

The Super 8 is close to the highway- this is its main (only) good quality. But, the Days Inn is just as close for a lower price and MUCH better amenities. The Days Inn has a pool, hot tub, full service restaurant (serving all meals), and the rooms are renovated with microwave and fridge (good for a grad student!). Also there are buses that run every 10 min to downtown!

In the Super 8 lobby there is a sign that claims the Super 8 will be remodeled soon. You may want to see if it is remodeled before you go. Due to the security issues at the hotel that plagued my stay, I was compensated for part of my room, once again reflecting the professional manner of the mgmt against all odds. I would also call to confirm that the security door is fixed if you want to feel safe.

• Disliked — security, price
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank scarletfires
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete a trip advisor review. We have recently gained new vibrant employees and Management. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Contact me directly at 651-771-5566 for future reservations in the Madison area I will be glad to discount your next stay. Sincerely, Dennis L. Stone General Manager Super 8 Saint Paul, MN

Travellers are raving about these Saint Paul hotels

BIllings
Reviewed 20 November 2007

One of the only hotels I could find that would let me bring "Fitzy" my Basset Hound to the show. I was told I'd have to stay in a smoking room with my pet, but once I insisted that I was in town for the show, they allowed me to have a non smoking room. I skipped the breakfast spread because doughnuts are too sugary for me, but they had a Perkins nearby so I was able to get some hashbrowns.

My room was nice, and very clean. A desk, a card table, and a full bathroom and I still felt I had room to set my things. The desk clerk was polite and I was able to get an extra pillow in the middle of the night. I'll stay there again next year, it's too hard to find a friendly affordable pet friendly place anymore.

• Liked — Quality, Price, Very nice people, location
  • Disliked — no HBO
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
I am so glad that you and fitzy had a great stay during your time in Saint Paul, MN. Our staff continues to go above and beyond with each and every guest thats comes through Saint Paul, MN. We look forward to your next stay with us where you can experience the newly renovated Super 8 of Saint Paul, MN and all the new amentities. For future reservations call 651-771-5566. Sincerely, Dennis L. Stone General Manager Super 8 Saint Paul, MN
st.paul
Reviewed 7 February 2007

Well to start off I normally stay at 4 or 5 star hotels and this hotel i stayed at 5 times and once i had the jacuzzi room for 149.00 it was clean all over the other 4 times everything was clean also, customer service has always been good and friendly, in the morning theres a continental breakfast with juice, coffee, pasteries, bagels and cereal. I always had a great time at this hotel its better then red roof inn and motel 6 in terms of space and you get a breakfast to.

Stayed October 2005
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to complete the tripadvisor review. I am so glad that you had a great experience during your 4-5 stays with our property. If you haven't been to the property recently we just went through a 1/2 million dollar renovation at the property which includes new linens, exercise room, breakfast area, business center etc. We have recently gained new vibrant employees and Management at the property. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. For future reservations call the property directly at 651-771-5566 and ask for me and I will take care of your reservation.

Sincerely, Dennis L. Stone General Manager Super 8 Saint Paul, MN
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 May 2006

I have stayed at several Exel Inns and ST. Paul's is the PITS !!! The bottom of the worm can. It is within blocks of family and was a likely place to stay. We tried this Inn 3 times and each time...unbelievably, it got worse !! I'm 55 and often travel with my parents ages, 78 & 74. We call ahead and book a NON..smoking room and out of three stays, twice we were assigned to rooms that were smelly and smokey. We asked at the counter and were assured that we were in a non-smoking room. We bought Fabreeze and opened the window. HOWEVER... the main problem we had was COPIES being made of our DRIVERS LISCENSES and CREDIT CARD used to book the room.!! Do you want me to say that again ? Yes...The first time, they copied my mother's driver's Liscense and her credit card. We questioned this and questioned it again. We got the run around and bull. It was 11:30 pm and everything in town was booked. My parents were tired and were told, to our faces, that the copies would be shreaded when we left. I went back to the desk later after a shift change, and asked about the copies and why they were needed. I was told It was a Minnesota State Law and that they keep the copies for 3 WEEKS, then shread them. Next morning as my parents were packing, I went to the desk and Met...the VERY PROUD ... New Manager of the Inn. He told me it is STANDARD, and a Minnesota State Law, and they keep them on file for THREE YEARS.!! At this point, I took a deep breath and asked for a copy of the MN State Law. I was told he had seen it once, but they don't have a copy but that it was true. I was beyond help at that point. I told him he is full of bull and had no clue what was going on and that I wanted the copies back right now. We are not leaving until the copies were given to us NOW. He told me he was very sorry...and could not do that. He said he had to see if our credit card cleared. Good grief. What rock did he crawl out from under?? Credit Cards clear in Moments..! We carry photo ID's and passports !! We recieved the copies as he realized I was not leaving. If I had to call family members and the police I was going to have them and not give him time to make other copies. He kept telling me it is MN state law to make copies of Liscenses of all in the room. Yes...they made copies of all three driver's liscense on our third stay, and stated they would not allow us to stay there without the copies. My parents and I were so angry by the time we left that we didn't speak of it for months. We just quietly said we would tell others; this is no place to stay. Hey...I've stayed in places in Chicago that were better..!!! What a lie'n snake pit..!!! We have traveled all over the world and have never had anyone treat us this way and Never, Never had to hand over our driver liscenses for copies. I have never experienced so many lies climbing over one counter. DO NOT STAY IN THIS INN. !! Sleeping in a dumpster would be better..!!!
I am hoping that the President of Exel Inns hears of this and does some cleaning up in this Inn. We do not want our money back and will probably stay in other Exel Inns in the country, but Never, Never again in the one in St. Paul. A bad experience happens, but out of three it got worse each time. Happy dreams to all of you..... Find a different place to stay.

• Stayed February 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete a trip advisor review. We have recently gained new vibrant employees and Management. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Contact me directly at 651-771-5566 for future reservations in the Saint Paul area I will be glad to discount your next stay. Sincerely, Dennis L. Stone General Manager Super 8 Saint Paul, MN
wausau, wi
Reviewed 3 October 2005

I was scared after reading the other reveiws, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I found it to be better than a cheap motel but not as good as a name brand chain place. The rooms where comfortable with a friendly/helpfull staff. With new carpet and TV's (or so I was told by the front desk) this may be a cheap find for that concert at the Excel center.

Stayed October 2005
6 Thank wackoworks
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete the tripadvisor review. We appreciate any information that is provided by each guest that gives us feedback. Since your stay we have completed a 1/2 million dollar renovation project that was completed in July 2009. My hope is that you will use our property again and find that some of the things that weren't to your liking have been resolved. Contact me directly at 651-771-5566 for future servations in the Saint Paul area. Sincerely, Dennis L. Stone General Manager Super 8 Saint Paul, MN
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 June 2005

This should be in the inner city of Chicago. Trashy hotel, old, screens popped out, pennies jammed in the outer doors, so I guess other people can walk in. The walls are so thin, you can hear everything, the elevator is so rickety, take the stairs. It's just a really, bad hotel.

• Stayed January 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete a trip advisor review. We have recently gained new vibrant employees and Management. Our emphasis since I took over in June 2009 is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Contact me directly at 651-771-5566 for future reservations in the Saint Paul area I will be glad to discount your next stay. Sincerely, Dennis L. Stone General Manager Super 8 Saint Paul, MN