“Awful Experience” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
White Bear Lake
“Awful Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

The whole experience from beginning to end was a nightmare. I wanted to treat my partner to a special celebration for his 72nd birthday. His dream is to spend at least one night at the Hotel St. Paul. I had difficulty making any arrangements at all and eventually called to complain. They were all apologies and even promised me an upgrade which they did deliver. I taken great pains to let you know that this was a special celebration and the dream of my partner. We purchased a bed and breakfast package. When we arrived, were barely welcomed. the service was awful and essentially unwelcoming. The room was lovely. I had to call for a coffee pot which they promised me would be there upon arrival. We went downstairs the following morning for breakfast at, "M." The service was worse than I could've ever imagined. We had two friends join us for breakfast. We waited and waited for service and that was at a buffet! My partner was never acknowledged in any way. Finally, I wrote the manager and expressed my concern. He never responded. I sent the letter again. Again, he never responded. I will never go back.

Room Tip: I would strongly suggest that if you want to stay here second-guess yourself. there are many good pl...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Allan B
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
I am so very sorry that we did not live up to your expectations last December. Please know that we will use this feedback as an important part of our continuous improvement process. The experience you had was inexcusable, as was the lack of follow up. I am happy to discuss further if you wish to contact me. dmiller@saintpaulhotel.com or 651.228.3801

Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

From check in, to departure six days later, the customer service at the hotel was seriously lacking. Our room wasn't cleaned until nearly 4:30 pm on two successive days, which required locating housekeeping. The staff, from the front desk to the female bartender, acted as if they were doing you a favor and the customers were an inconvenience. The business center - .50 to print boarding passes - Really? While convenient to downtown, it appears the hotel caters only to special events and perhaps corporate travel. After all of the hype, this hotel experience was a disappointment.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jack F
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
I am so sorry we fell short of your expectations. On weekends, we do shift the hours to clean rooms a bit later in the day to allow our guests a relaxing morning without anyone knocking on their door, but we could've certainly adjusted those hours for you. I also apologize for the lack of personalized service...it is something we generally pride ourselves on, but it sounds like a few of us did not live up to our own expectations. Thank you for the feedback.
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

An historic location within easy walk of downtown sightseeing and business. The restaurant is quite good with excellent service. A bit on the noisy side nearer the bar and quieter towards the back. The casual restaurant for breakfast is in the basement so has no view out. Both a buffet and menu items are available. The steel cut oatmeal with berries is excellent. River overview is within a short walk are a number of very good local restaurants. Easy access for historic St. Paul as well as Minneapolis.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are a little extra but provide nice views out as well as a very nice space. Be pre...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. Sounds like you enjoyed quite a bit of what we have to offer. We look forward to hosting you again on a return visit.
SD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

You step into the hotel's elevator and you are listening to a baroque string quartet. Fiona, with a love Irish accent, checks you in expeditiously and provides all the information you need to select an excellent restaurant to walk to for dinner. Staff greats you in the halls with a Sir of Madam. Have I landed in Madrid, where the hotels are elegant and staff unfailingly courteous? Seriously, this is a pleasant European style hotel with helpful and courteous staff. Our room was comfortable and spacious enough, it was an executive king. Bed was comfortable but the antiquated air conditioner was either too cold or not cool enough and you had to sleep in a breeze, my only real complaint. Bathroom amenities were upscale but only three towels in a double room. My breakfast, the Northwoods omelet and hash browns, was exceptionally good and coffee was excellent. All of this charm does come with a price tag but it is a nice splurge.

Room Tip: As you would expect, rooms on higher floors will have less traffic noise but traffic pretty much goe...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Austin, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

This was the second time I have stayed at this hotel. Both times were for a conference that was being held elsewhere. The staff are great and very attentive. However, I think the hotel is beginning to show its age. I was there during a very hot spell and despite my asking to get my room cooler, nothing was accomplished. The thermostat was set as low as it could go, but the room just was not as cold as I would have liked it. I also asked for the Mpls Star Trib and was assure that one would be at my room each morning, but I only got one, on my last morning I was there.
Breakfast at the hotel was a delight and so was the waitress that took care of me both mornings. Ask for Valerie - she is a joy and what a breakfast waitress should be - cheery, knowledgeable, prompt, and attentive, but not overbearing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Rice Park.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you so much for the repeat visit! My apologies for the uncomfortable temperature in your room. The extreme heat (for Minnesota!) did cause some difficulties with our system, but all is good now. There is no excuse for the missed paper delivery. I can commit that we will make it up to you on your next visit, so please feel free to reach out to me.

Thank you!
pittsford ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was very pleased with the overall service from the bellman, front dask and coincerge very classy hotel nice room, on an upper floor with a great view as I had requested.The staff couldn't be more helpful especially with their shuttle .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Willowbrook
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Second time staying at the St. Paul Hotel. Loved the beautiful garden at the entrance. Service is great and the rooms very comfortable. Enjoyed our breakfasts at the M St. Café where the waitresses are very attentive. All the staff here seems to be friendly and eager to please. They all greet you with a smile even the maids in the hallways look up and say good morning. It's a good location downtown near restaurants and museums. We walked to the Minn. History Museum and found it very interesting.

Room Tip: The Executive and Ambassador Suites are very nice with the separate sitting room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Paul
Hotel 340
#4 of 16 in Saint Paul
Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown
#8 of 16 in Saint Paul
Downtown
Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis

Been to The Saint Paul Hotel? Share your experiences!