“Avoid rooms near elevators”

The Saint Paul Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
GreenLeadersGold level
“Avoid rooms near elevators”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The hotel has a great location in the heart of St. Paul, and is on the quality end of the spectrum which is reflected in the pricing. This was a business trip, so I was pretty disappointed to be put in a room close to the elevator - as was another of my colleagues. This was not such an issue on the arrival night as it was the weekend, but every other morning I was awoken by the sound of the elevator which was pretty constant. Admittedly I didn't ask to change rooms, as by the time I realised how noisy the elevator was I'd already unpacked and didn't want the hassle of repacking and changing rooms. The room was also - by my experience of US hotels - very small. It's part of the charm of the hotel, but the rooms are very old fashioned.
The lobby in the hotel is lovely, very pleasant to spend time in, and the M Street Cafe for breakfast was also very good - excellent food and good value.
The bed was extremely comfortable, and without the sound of the elevator I think I would have had a good night's sleep. The bedroom and bathroom were both clean.
All in all a nice hotel, but given the issues with the elevator noise it's not somewhere I would choose to return to.

Room Tip: avoid a room ending in 09 - near the elevator
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. You are correct in that a few of our rooms are near the elevator, and those in particular are smaller than the rest. Please reach out on your next visit, and we will assure you a larger room. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the other components of your stay!

David Miller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Peoria, Illinois, USA
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We only stayed here for one night but could not have been more pleased with the accommodations. Our king room was spacious, comfortable, and very well-appointed. We stayed on a seemingly very busy Saturday night. After leaving once and returning to the hotel, the adjacent parking deck was full. We were disappointed but did the valet parking on recommendation from the front desk staff and were pleased with the service.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife enjoy and find the best bar in town here at the St. Paul hotel with Joanne Funk and her jazz piano. This past Saturday night we also were treated to her fiance who sang a Rossini opera song that was fantastic. If you want a great place for a drink, fire side chair and great atmosphere - we find the St. Paul Hotel the place to be in St. Paul.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel is absolutely beautiful. The staff very welcoming. It was our anniversary and they welcomed us with a card. Room was very well appointed. Nice view of the city. Bed was so comfortable we didn't want to get up. Great location near events. Highly recommend.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you so much! Having lived and worked in Atlanta, I know that is high praise considering the beautiful hotels you have in your city. We can't wait to host you again on your next trip up north!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Ugh...I am conflicted about the proper number of stars to offer, but the facilities are really stunning. The fitness center is phenomenal, and rooms are lovely. I'd say if I had to, I'd officially give it a 2.50.

My concern: the service was lacking in many areas. Staff ignored us, or were downright rude on a number of occasions. The desk clerk at check-in seemed to be bothered by having to help us when we arrived on Friday mid-morning (with no other guests checking in at the time), and that 'meh' attitude seemed to permeate the entire weekend at the St. Paul Hotel.

We were in town this past weekend for the Twin Cities Marathon, and the hotel offered a special 'marathon rate', which seemed to imply that they were ready to cater to runners. Instead, Saturday night, when we were trying to get our car from valet, we were told twice that they didn't have time to call for the car, we would just have to go outside and stand (in the rain), waiting for the valet to have time to help us. You see, the St. Paul Hotel was hosting three major weddings this Saturday night, and thus could not work with their marathon guests and wedding guests.

The downstairs 'pop-up' bar had no posted hours, so it was a crap shoot as to whether they would be open for coffee in the morning or drinks at night. Yes, there are two restaurants on site, but one had terrible reviews and we were nervous about trying it out, and the other was a little too swanky for people dressed in running clothes all weekend.

Had I not been there for the race, I would have probably been happier with the place, but it seems to me that if you align yourself with a race of some sort, you should be prepared to cater to those guests. Choose your weddings or the runners, either one, that's fine, but don't charge almost $200 dollars a night for very little in return.

As others have said, it appears that they really cater to special events (read: weddings) - if that's why you are there, you should have a grand time. For any other reason, find somewhere else to be.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank NMVegrunner
Thank you for your reviews on both Yelp and TripAdvisor. It is important for us to receive feedback on both good and bad experiences. I am truly sorry we didn't make you feel valued as a marathon guest here at the hotel. We have had great success working with marathon runners each year, by either changing our hours of operation for the morning coffee service to accommodate the early risers, or offering high-carb menu items in room service the night before, but it sounds like we could do a better job at communicating those services to the guests. I hope that you had a successful run, and if you would consider giving us another chance next year please reach out directly to me.

David Miller
Northfield, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here September 28th to the 29th. The front desk lady greeted me with a smile and was real friendly. The lobby was gorgeous, it was beautiful. The rooms were nice. The king bed in my room was comfy. The hotel is near many restaurants and attractions. The breakfast the M cafe was very good.

• Stayed September 2013
Bigfork, Montana
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Very clean historical hotel. Please note that if you get a bargain, you will most likely be placed in a small room next to the elevator. Some "swooshing" elevator noise in these rooms, but tolerable. The staff is helpful and friendly, but you probably won't get an early check-in and a room change is challenging. No coffee in room, but available in lobby for a charge in the morning. Valet parking is reasonable and prompt, but it can get congested. Sunday brunch is excellent, if somewhat pricey. Nice central location in St. Paul.

This is a popular hotel for weddings and receptions. It's always fun to see the happy and dressed-up young people ready for a celebration.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple