The Saint Paul Hotel
Hotel 340(Saint Paul)
  • Pool
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsrice parkhigh team streetambassador suitehistoric hotelaveda toiletriesthe grilllandmark centervalet parkinglovely old hotellobby barturn down serviceold world charmtwin citiesthe lower levelroom serviceold school
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed here the Saturday before Christmas while in town for a show. Arrived about 12:30 for a matinee, left the car with the valet. We couldn't check in early so left bag with the coat check. That was all fine but then we tried to find a quick bite to eat before the show. The downstairs cafe "closed at noon" and, understandably, the St Paul Grille was full. (Truthfully, we weren't looking for a fancy lunch.) The Landmark Center was closed. We decided then to just sit in the hotel lobby, but we couldn't do that because it was set for high tea, to be served at 2. Given that the hotel is located in a downtown location with no eateries nearby for lunch, we really didn't have anywhere to go. Finally found a Dunn Bros over a couple of blocks, and it felt like a true oasis.

We're early risers and Sunday morning at 5:15 requested coffee via room service, but learned that there is no room service before 6AM. The cafe doesn't open until 9 on Sunday.

The room was exceptionally nice, as we've found consistently on our stays here before. . . . But they have other issues to work on.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bookerRochesterMN
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I was in St. Paul for a day and got to stay at this iconic hotel. Beautiful location, great architecture, well appointed room, etc. It's right across right park and the lights this time of year are just beautiful. Check in process was quick and easy but then the problems started. I wanted to get a drink at the lobby bar but it was closed... at 7.30pm. So I go up to the room and was pretty impressed by the view, room amenities, etc. Then I order room service... after an hour... still no food. I call room service back to follow up and heard "where did I put that ticket" from the person on the other end. At least they made up for it and got my order in the door within 15 minutes. Then I turn the TV on... the welcome screen comes on and never leaves... TV just freezes. Engineering had to come up and reboot TV service. The room has the single serve Keurig coffee makers and you can have two free cups per day. Perfect for me because I had 7.30 meeting next morning and wanted to have an early cup of coffee. I get up at 6, fire up the coffee maker... it doesn't work. I would probably still come back because of location and quality of room and beddings... but I hope they get these nuisance issues resolved.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Rice Park
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank jun_r
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

It is clear we had a perfect storm of issues surrounding your stay. My apologies for all of the inconveniences you encountered. Please trust that we are continually improving our guest experience. On your next visit, do not hesitate to contact me so that I may ensure a more "typical" experience with The Saint Paul Hotel.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Will not be returning ever again. Rude and unprofessional valet service especially. Would never recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in the area. Just ruined our whole stay/trip with how everyone was there... Not happy.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Nicolenels
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

I am so sorry to hear you of your dissatisfaction. Please do not hesitate to contact me so that I have an opportunity to correct any issue.

David Miller
651-228-3801
dmiller@saintpaulhotel.com

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Right from the start they treat you like a king. No hassle parking, room upgrade to a luxurious suite (no, not free but affordable), and a informed person to show you the ropes...Very quite, very comfortable, and clean. We ate at their restaurant and had a very good dinner with excellent service. I asked for two uncooked eggs, so I could cook breakfast from my leftovers in the room the next morning, and it was no problem. We never left the property and lacked for nothing. I'll be back - Thanks

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Geoff D

Thank you so much! I hope you have recovered from all that snow in your area. Looking forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed 8 December 2013

I was in St. Paul for the Wild hockey game. The hotel was 1 block away and I was able to get to/from the Xcel Energy Center via the indoor walkway, so I didn't have to go outside to get to/from the game. It was -3 degrees in St. Paul so this was fantastic. A day after I checked out, I realized I left some items in the hotel room. I called the hotel at 10PM at night and was told by the staff that they found my items and would ship them to me for free.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business