The Saint Paul Hotel
Hotel 340(Saint Paul)
  • Pool
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsrice parkhigh team streetambassador suitehistoric hotelaveda toiletriesthe grilllandmark centervalet parkinglovely old hotellobby barturn down serviceold world charmtwin citiesthe lower levelroom serviceold school
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Spent the night after a concert. No bathroom fan, no pool, couldn't get the heat to stop rising and if it were summer, no AC! But, But, But -- it's a historic hotel, beautiful lobby, nice, old-timey bar, Aveda products in the hotel rooms, well-stocked mini-fridges, bathrobes. Even the ladies room off the lobby was an experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank twinswin1
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for the concert! We appreciate the kind words about the hotel. Just for clarification, we do indeed have air conditioning, but it is not on during the winter. The thermostat in your room should be controlling the temperature, so we'll take a look and see if something might have malfunctioned with your thermostat.

Keep your eyes open for many more concerts coming to Xcel - we'd love to be your home for events in Saint Paul!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I really like St Paul and that was probably because this was the first thing I saw. It's a lovely looking hotel and the lobby is gorgeous.

Situated in the middle of downtown it's an excellent location. Check out the Charlie Brown statues in the surrounding parks. Charles M. Schulz was born here.

I was way too early to check in, but they happily stored my luggage.

When I came back my room was ready and my luggage was inside.

The carpet made me laugh as it's the exact pattern of a crochet tablecloth my mother used to have!

The room is elegant with an excellent bed and pillows. The shower was okay but the towels were luxurious with fab Aveda toiletries.

A coffee machine and a radio with an AUX port for my iPod were the only other amenities in the room.

There is only valet parking or if you are lucky, as I was, free weekend street parking, different sides for different days, which the valet very kindly told me about.

The internet isn't free and there's no breakfast included, but that's what you (don't) get with luxury hotels.

Stay here if you like to pretend you're a princess or a tycoon.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The Saint Paul Hotel is a beautifully maintained hotel that reminds me of a Grande Dame property. Very regal, class-act, luxury. I was on business for an outdoor event in winter and it was very cold. I was dressed in winter garb; felt I wasn't treated as well as if I arrived in non-winter outdoor clothing (I am a journalist). Thus, I was dressed for outdoor journalism gig, but staff did not know that so I felt treated different, more low-class. It is a beautiful hotel, very, very busy. Loud bar. Friendly bartender. My room had no view, top floor facing a big building. Small room. Only King bed accessible left, so I had to take that. Loved the bathroom. Cheaper sheets on bed that were very scratchy and constantly came un-tucked; perhaps not corner bottom sheets. Did not pay the extra fee for wifi. Valet parking. Not much to do around hotel, not many eating places. Nice piano, wonderful lobby. Check in person seemed bored with it all. A "10" for looks; "2" if not wearing upscale clothes and non-comfortable sheets on bed. TV reception terrible. Room telephone did not work at all to call front desk w questions.

Room Tip: Pay extra if you want a view of Rice Park.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank queenmalley
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My company booked a room for me at this hotel and after arriving I was notified that I could not enter my room until after 6 pm (and this was around 10AM). I returned around 4 pm and asked if the room was available but they just told me that even if the room was empty, I could not enter because those were the terms on the rate. My company actually made the reservation directly with them and was not aware of these terms. I even offered to pay whatever difference was needed to cover the extra 2 hours but the lady just said that the hotel had no more rooms. I understand that whoever made the reservation without reading the terms was to blame but the hotel did nothing to help me. I never saw this "after 6 pm only" rate at any other hotel and they acted like it was the norm and my fault. They treated me like I was trying to cheat on them for trying to enter my room prior to the established time. All hotels have a check-in time but since not all costumers leave at check out time, they usually try to accommodate guests as they arrive.
The building itself is nice and the room was great.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank RRodolfo
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The St. Paul Hotel is a nice hotel, in a good location relative to what passes for nightlife in downtown St. Paul. One can't help but think that its reputation is based as much or more on the lack of competition in upscale hotels in the area than it is on the hotel actually being as good as its reputation, though.

It's nice...compared to the other hotels downtown.

The service was good....but not spectacular.

The rooms were appointed nicely...but not remarkably so.

I had no problems with my stay, but then again I shouldn't have for paying that kind of a premium for downtown St. Paul hotels.

In short, nothing wrong with the St. Paul Hotel, but nothing that would land it at the top of the heap if there was any real competition in the area. There are nicer hotels with better service across the river in Minneapolis.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank nmhen
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Well, I guess I can thank you for giving us a try! The Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul will be forever compared to each other, and both have equally appealing attributes. We take pride in the fact that we are the only hotel, across the entire region, to have earned the AAA Four Diamond award for 31 consecutive years. That includes Minneapolis!