“First Class Hotel in a Vibrant City” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Saint Paul Hotel
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
GreenLeadersGold level
Colgate, Wisconsin, United States
“First Class Hotel in a Vibrant City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We have stayed at the St. Paul Hotel many times coming back from trips "out west", "up north", or just a 6-hr. drive to St. Paul. The hotel is first class in all the important ways. There is a great restaurant and bar on site as well as many fine restaurantsand a great old-fashioned "dining car" within a few blocks. There are theaters, museums, and the Mississippi River within a short walk. Even when we drive up with a mud-caked car among all the fancy cars, we are treated like royalty with nary a raised eyebrow. We will return again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for making us your home away from home on adventures in our direction! We look forward to hosting you again in the beautiful city of Saint Paul!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a very old hotel, but in a good way. It is up to date, very nice beds, they even added a coffee pod machine in every room, verses the usual bad coffee in the room at other hotels. Plus the staff are first class, especially the head door man working the front. My rate was only 189 bucks, not bad.

Room Tip: Ask for a king bed
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank irbflyfish
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

As this was my first visit to Minnesota, I booked a few days at The Saint Paul Hotel. The hotel looks nice and there is a man at the front door who wears a top hat greeting everyone who walks in. Check in was fast and I was off to my room in no time. The room was ok, nothing exciting. I would describe the decor as dull. I understand.this is a historic hotel, but still very pricy for what you get. I did notice a few things that really bothered me while I was here. First, the bathroom does not have an exhaust fan. If you are like most people, taking a hot shower is pretty normal. You cannot shower with the door closed, the bathroom gets so steamed up its almost hard to breath. I had to take showers with the door open and that still did not help, even with the door open and my room temp set to 70, it was still very steamy. The bathroom mirror would stay steamed up for about 20 minutes after I was finished showering. If you need the mirror to get ready in the morning or you are a woman putting on makeup, forget it! My other complaint is the "free WiFi", the free WiFi takes 15 minutes to log onto if you are lucky. I had a laptop and tablet with me and had trouble with both. If you want to pay for faster WiFi, you can pay 12.99 for 24 hours. If you need WiFi for work, you have to walk down the street to the coffee shop to be able to work. My last concern was with the shuttle service. To go to the Mall of America they charge you $25.00 one way to take you there. I thought a $50 trip per person to the mall was a bit crazy! I took a cab and it was actually cheaper. I'm quite disappointed with my experience and in my opinion, I would not recommend this hotel.

Green Features: I didn't notice any, although there are many recycling cans on the streets, I noticed many plastic bottles in the trash on the maids cart. I'm pretty sure they will go right into the trash.
3 Thank portamedicjenn
Greenbrier, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I spent three nights here for a conference. Location is convenient to restaurants, capital, local historic sites, and beautiful walk along the Mississippi river. Cleanliness and quality of the hotel are the highest, staff are friendly, and bed was very comfortable. Have no complaints and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Plus, the windows open for fresh air in room!

1 Thank 37JoeS
Skokie, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

The St. Paul Hotel prides itself on being the only AAA 4-diamond hotel in the metropolitan area. Accordingly, any review ought to hold this hotel to the highest of standards. On that basis, this hotel excels in many areas, but, there is also room for improvement. What worked: As a restored hotel from another era, this hotel is extremely stylish, evoking a feel for a different era. The architecture, decor, and setting make you feel relaxed, escaping whatever pressures from the day might be gnawing at you. I was here on a business trip and arrived late for a dinner due to a flight delay. Even still, the ambience had a calming effect. The room itself was plenty large for my needs. Maybe some rooms are smaller, but the room did not feel crowded with a large king bed, two nightstands, armoire, desk and chair, and easy chair with ottoman. The desk was adequate for my needs, with room for my laptop and a notepad. I can see where a businessman needing to do serious work might prefer a larger desk. The room was exceptionally clean, with no rough or worn spots that I could see. Energy efficient lights used in the lamps provided extremely good lighting, much better than what one usually finds in a hotel. And, the bed was outstanding--likely the best bed anywhere that I have encountered. Outstandingly firm, but with soft support through a pillow top. There was absolutely no sagging. The hypoallergenic pillows were fantastic! From the doorman in front to the housekeeper on the floor, service was outstanding. Everyone had a smile and a pleasant word. As I said in another review, service is best tested when an issue presents itself that requires resolution. However, during my short, one-night stay, there were no glitches to correct, or problems of any kind. Still, there is room for improvement: 1. in this age of power hungry electronics, one available socket on the desk is not enough. At least four should be available.; 2. facial tissues need an upgrade! Angel Facial Tissues were in the room. While not the worst tissue on the market, even some store brands are better. Kleenex or Puffs with lotion are much more pleasant to use. And, a box for the nightstand as well as the bath would be appreciated. 3. all towels, including the wash cloths were relatively rough. Clearly, these towels need replacement. To be sure, this is nitpicking; but a hotel that boasts its four diamonds invites scrutiny. I cannot assess value as my room was paid by my hosts. However, what is offered seems commensurate with current advertised rates.

3 Thank Abe18
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for such a thorough review. The staff will enjoy reading this valuable feedback. We are in the process of addressing some of the points you bring up, so thank you for the reinforcement!

We hope to see you again on your next visit to the Twin Cities.
Wilmington de
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just spent two nights in the St Paul Hotel n the city's downtown. Lobby is welcoming and has a friendly buzz. The staff are fabulous, and the concierge, Fiona, went out of her away to help me deal with a lost cell phone.
Had brunch in The M Street Cafe. While the buffet was rather pedestrian and the service somewhat slow, the a la carte menu was excellent. We did not eat dinner in the main restaurant, but others spoke highly of it
Rooms had everything one would expect from a 4-5 star hotel including a Keurig coffee maker and a well-stocked mini bar

Room Tip: Lower levels have obstructed views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank horidanway
North Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

From the time we set foot into the hotel to the time we left, we felt the staff went above and beyond expectations. We decided we were having lots of fun at the wedding and wanted to book a room. They were able to still give us the blocked room rate with a beautiful view. The wait staff for the wedding and the coat servers addressed as many patrons as they could by name and remembered their drink they ordered before or what coat was who's. It was one of the fanciest wedding venues I have been to and the room was comfortable and within reason for a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown
#8 of 16 in Saint Paul
Downtown
Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis

Been to The Saint Paul Hotel? Share your experiences!