“Swell Hotel! Very Grand”

The Saint Paul Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My sister and I stayed here 2nights during the Irish Fair (Harriet Island). We had a wonderful time. Some things to note, the lobby staff was very patient with me as I was prepaying with cash and used my debit card for the incidentals, they do hold a rather large amount (can't remember maybe $100 a day) on your card for incidentals and refund it when you leave if you haven't used that much. The parking in their ramp was $20 a day- I could not find any info about parking on their website, it may be there but I didn't see it. it took us a few drive arounds to find the parking ramp because it's on the opposite side of building from the lobby. We had a nice room with two double beds. Well stocked wet bar, everything was very clean and organized. We used the fitness center and it was pretty decent, a couple of the cardio machines need repair but they had others and free weights (dumbbells). We ordered a room service breakfast which was wonderful. The price on everything in this Hotel is a bit high but that's what we pay for being in such a gorgeous historic hotel. I think it's worth it. We stayed on the 4th floor noise was never a problem and it's an easy walk to Harriet Island if not anywhere in downtown Saint Paul.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 1976Sarah

Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I spent one night at this beautiful hotel to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Our experience was first rate, from the wonderful room overlooking the park to the welcoming note congratulating us on our anniversary. The staff was professional and helpful. With the Ordway Theater across the street and fun restaurants the Saint Paul Hotel is a perfect place to stay. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy C
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed at the St. Paul Hotel for an evening while attending a concert. We stopped in the bar early on, greeted by staff who remembered our prior stay because of the drink(s) we ordered. Great service and great memory from Tina. Room was small, but very clean. Heavy drapes, somewhat dark. The hotel furnishes two complimentary cups of in-room coffee from a Keurig dispenser, but charges $3.00 each for more. As we were checking out we noticed that two cups were used previously and missing from our mini bar area and we mentioned it to the maid as well as the front desk on our check-out. They appeared on our charge card anyway the next day. The one night stay bill, including parking, was $214.30, not exceptional for a very nice, downtown hotel, but on my credit card receipt, the pending transaction, entered twice, was $294.30. Where that come from I don't know. It was explained as a "holdback for parking etc." which didn't make sense as the parking was already posted on the hotel bill. Nice lobby décor, very helpful staff, good location, may try somewhere else next time were are downtown.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank 565Stevem565
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here for what was to be a two night stay and only stayed one night. The room was ok .. but not worth the cost. The Grill is nice .. but could be like the Oceannaire .. but it's not. Prefer Mancinis on W 7th. Why the hype?? Just not that beautiful a place to stay.

Room Tip: Watch out for the locked fridge!! And , if you are a plus size person .. the scratchy robes will not...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shifty3rd
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

We regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do understand that not every hotel is for every guest, but I believe the "hype" is regarding our attempt to provide an enjoyable experience for all. Thank you for giving us a try!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I booked this looking for a nice, top-end hotel to use in the St. Paul area. What I got is good, and nothing to complain about, but was not impressed either. Frankly - lukewarm.

The lobby is impressive, and the staff are very eager to please when presented with an issue (of which, they did resolve the few minor problems that arose). But I've stayed in other top-rated hotels around the world, and they didn't meet that standard. The difference in service is the manner in which they are looking for ways to help. I found myself standing in the lobby on a couple of occasions, needing assistance, and having to hunt around for someone to help. That is a far cry from other "five start" establishments where they can see simply from the look in your eyes that you need help, and are there to help before you've had to ask.

The room was perfectly fine, but also not at the level of a top hotel. Bedding was nice, everything was clean, but layout was very cramped, drapes were too heavy for the room and gave it a dark, cave-like feel, and the furniture was out of place.

Finally, the valet parking is a bit of a joke. They run the cars to the parking garage next door, and on the morning in which I needed the car at a specific time for a business meeting, it did not arrive. When I did inquire, in person, with the valet, they THEN ran to go get it. In the end, I was 30 minutes late. The front desk was very helpful and waived the parking fee, but that isn't the issue. I booked there to avoid those sorts of issues in the first place.

That, simply put, is the difference between the Saint Paul and a proper top-end hotel. Yes, at the Saint Paul, they resolve problems once they arise. At other top hotels, the problems don't surface in the first place. And that is what makes the difference between an enjoyable stay versus another headache of business travel.

In summary, save a few dollars and book at another place in town. Not worth the premium dollars...

Room Tip: Insist on an upgrade. I should have...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank DavidM2013
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed a couple of nights at this beautiful historic hotel in St. Paul. It was fun to stay in St. Paul since we typically stay in Minneapolis on our visits to the Twin Cities! The hotel was beautiful, in a great location, and has a wonderful staff!

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 27 July 2014

we spent the night at The Saint Paul Hotel after we got hitched. We wanted a night away from our guests at a different hotel because we wanted it to be "special." Our room was mediocre (the lobby is GORGEOUS!) and the view from our room overlooked the roof. When I booked the reservation in January (because I KNEW we NEEDED to stay at the STP hotel), the receptionist said that they would do something "special" for our day. We did not receive anything to recognize our wedding. We were offered an upgrade for $200 but for only 9 hours in the room, we decided not to take it. We ordered breakfast in bed which, as a MAJOR breakfast fanatic, was only OK. I am currently a medical student and with a late night sandwich and 2 breakfast entrees, our bill was WAY too expensive. I am so disappointed :( Our only regret of our wedding day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 61laurenc
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would have loved the opportunity to turn things around for you while you were here. If you would like to give us another try, I am confident you will experience the type of service we are known for. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me. dmiller@saintpaulhotel.com