“Historical charm”

GreenLeadersGold level
Washington, DC
“Historical charm”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The hotel is very well located in the center of St. Paul. The valet parking is $20 and works pretty well. The restaurant onsite is very good and food at a reasonable price. The front desk is helpful and help can be obtained in the room quickly with mechanical or plumbing problems. The gym is small but adequate. The one problem we saw in the hotel was the internet which is slow, a bit unreliable, and is on an unprotected network.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This is, indeed, a grand hotel and the staff is very helpful. BUT, be prepared to be nickeled and dimmed at every opportunity. For example, one wifi device may be used with very sub"standard" wifi speed. Want to use both your lap top and phone, add $12 per day. Want faster service, add more $$. There is in room coffee, but don't drink more than two cups, otherwise pay $3 a cup, and there is none in the lobby. The hotel seems to be a businessman's Mecca, so I guess they don't care, they're not paying. The hotel lobby is often used for "events" so forget a quiet place to sit and read, and the bar is tiny and expensive. I've stayed in many historic hotels in major metro areas, and while this is one of the physically nicest, I will NOT be back; prefer not to be nickeled and dimed!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mainer_Coasters
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My sister and I stayed here 2nights during the Irish Fair (Harriet Island). We had a wonderful time. Some things to note, the lobby staff was very patient with me as I was prepaying with cash and used my debit card for the incidentals, they do hold a rather large amount (can't remember maybe $100 a day) on your card for incidentals and refund it when you leave if you haven't used that much. The parking in their ramp was $20 a day- I could not find any info about parking on their website, it may be there but I didn't see it. it took us a few drive arounds to find the parking ramp because it's on the opposite side of building from the lobby. We had a nice room with two double beds. Well stocked wet bar, everything was very clean and organized. We used the fitness center and it was pretty decent, a couple of the cardio machines need repair but they had others and free weights (dumbbells). We ordered a room service breakfast which was wonderful. The price on everything in this Hotel is a bit high but that's what we pay for being in such a gorgeous historic hotel. I think it's worth it. We stayed on the 4th floor noise was never a problem and it's an easy walk to Harriet Island if not anywhere in downtown Saint Paul.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 1976Sarah
Northfield, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I spent one night at this beautiful hotel to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Our experience was first rate, from the wonderful room overlooking the park to the welcoming note congratulating us on our anniversary. The staff was professional and helpful. With the Ordway Theater across the street and fun restaurants the Saint Paul Hotel is a perfect place to stay. We will definitely return!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy C
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed at the St. Paul Hotel for an evening while attending a concert. We stopped in the bar early on, greeted by staff who remembered our prior stay because of the drink(s) we ordered. Great service and great memory from Tina. Room was small, but very clean. Heavy drapes, somewhat dark. The hotel furnishes two complimentary cups of in-room coffee from a Keurig dispenser, but charges $3.00 each for more. As we were checking out we noticed that two cups were used previously and missing from our mini bar area and we mentioned it to the maid as well as the front desk on our check-out. They appeared on our charge card anyway the next day. The one night stay bill, including parking, was $214.30, not exceptional for a very nice, downtown hotel, but on my credit card receipt, the pending transaction, entered twice, was $294.30. Where that come from I don't know. It was explained as a "holdback for parking etc." which didn't make sense as the parking was already posted on the hotel bill. Nice lobby décor, very helpful staff, good location, may try somewhere else next time were are downtown.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Steve H
Lakeland
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here for what was to be a two night stay and only stayed one night. The room was ok .. but not worth the cost. The Grill is nice .. but could be like the Oceannaire .. but it's not. Prefer Mancinis on W 7th. Why the hype?? Just not that beautiful a place to stay.

Room Tip: Watch out for the locked fridge!! And , if you are a plus size person .. the scratchy robes will not...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shifty3rd
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
We regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do understand that not every hotel is for every guest, but I believe the "hype" is regarding our attempt to provide an enjoyable experience for all. Thank you for giving us a try!
Concord, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I booked this looking for a nice, top-end hotel to use in the St. Paul area. What I got is good, and nothing to complain about, but was not impressed either. Frankly - lukewarm.

The lobby is impressive, and the staff are very eager to please when presented with an issue (of which, they did resolve the few minor problems that arose). But I've stayed in other top-rated hotels around the world, and they didn't meet that standard. The difference in service is the manner in which they are looking for ways to help. I found myself standing in the lobby on a couple of occasions, needing assistance, and having to hunt around for someone to help. That is a far cry from other "five start" establishments where they can see simply from the look in your eyes that you need help, and are there to help before you've had to ask.

The room was perfectly fine, but also not at the level of a top hotel. Bedding was nice, everything was clean, but layout was very cramped, drapes were too heavy for the room and gave it a dark, cave-like feel, and the furniture was out of place.

Finally, the valet parking is a bit of a joke. They run the cars to the parking garage next door, and on the morning in which I needed the car at a specific time for a business meeting, it did not arrive. When I did inquire, in person, with the valet, they THEN ran to go get it. In the end, I was 30 minutes late. The front desk was very helpful and waived the parking fee, but that isn't the issue. I booked there to avoid those sorts of issues in the first place.

That, simply put, is the difference between the Saint Paul and a proper top-end hotel. Yes, at the Saint Paul, they resolve problems once they arise. At other top hotels, the problems don't surface in the first place. And that is what makes the difference between an enjoyable stay versus another headache of business travel.

In summary, save a few dollars and book at another place in town. Not worth the premium dollars...

Room Tip: Insist on an upgrade. I should have...
Green Features: Didn't notice any environmental-friendly practices...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business