“Morning Coffee”
Review of Kopplin's Coffee

Kopplin's Coffee
Ranked #22 of 65 Coffee & Tea in Saint Paul
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Met a friend for coffee this morning. Although I had been familiar with this cafe at its old location on Hamline in St. Paul, I haven't been to the new place on Marshall Avenue. I will return because it was a wonderful experience. I got coffee served just the way I liked it. When the barista learned that I wanted a decaf latte (plasphemy, I know) because of health reasons she suggested an alternative since they do not have decaf with latte. I ordered the drink with the low decaf content espresso plus bread, butter, and jam. The server selected a wonderful choice of bread for me and knowing that it came from Rustica Bakery, I knew it would be good! And it was. Next time I'll try the terrific looking croissants. The restaurant is clean with knowledgeable and friendly staff. A bit noisy for quiet conversation and the tables are uncomfortably close, yet it was a fine experience. In addition, I ran into some people I know. . .obviously it is a popular neighborhood gathering place.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

I visit about once a month with colleagues when we want to discuss something creative in a setting outside of the office. Nice variety of coffees. No decaf - they don't believe in it. Staff are very committed to an excellent experience for customers. Try the latte. Parking can be troublesome at certain times.

Reviewed 30 January 2013

I love Kopplins so much. They roast their beans in house, have the BEST coffee in the Twin Cities, and are overall the nicest people ever.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

Funky coffee shop along Marshall in St Paul. Service was friendly; I really don't understand the complaints in the other reviews. It seems like a local place for people to bring their Macs to surf or work while they enjoy their coffee. Atmosphere is OK, but the photos on the wall could be larger; they seem lost on the large walls. Would go back again.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

How is it that one establishment within five minutes can sum up everything I dislike about the Midwest?

Kopplin’s on Marshal in St. Paul, MN manages to answer this question with a short and simple series of points. Upon arrival to what is touted as the Twin Cites foremost in coffee culture. I was asked not, greeted by a dreadlocked barista. I soon found that her hair wasn’t the only thing to be dreaded in this cafe. I ordered a simple drink as I often do to sample just what this café had to offer.

My drink a sixteen-ounce vanilla latte, was scoffed at for of course at Kopplin’s this drink is impossible! My barista informed me firstly that Kopplin’s did not offer vanilla syrup, (as if my choice would somehow spoil the splendor of their latte.) This struck me as odd, I have lived in Seattle for many years and no one there has thought of this latte revelation. Not even the bars of espresso tasting on Capitol Hill have thought of this! Maybe the let down wouldn’t have been so terrible if the barista hadn’t been so rude about it. As if I’m the worlds greatest idiot for wanting vanilla.

I corrected this grievous syrup error and just asked for a plain latte but then again this was impossible! Why? I had been foolish enough to order a sixteen-ounce latte. I understand that perhaps too much milk might detract away from some of my latte’s flavor. I believe I can live with actions so may I please have as much milk as I choose?

Soon I am presented with a twelve-ounce plain latte for here. I bring it back to a table in the back of the café. I look eagerly “Well, despite everything if the latte is good then frankly all is forgiven.” I smell the late with the lazy leaf on top looking more phallic then leafy. Horror! My nostrils are filled with rotten espresso.

I know the latte will be bad I don’t even want to taste it. My wife seeing me in distress give’s me a “oh it can’t be all that bad look.” and takes a sip. Her face drops. Then I too out of obligation sip the latte.

The flavor is splittingly bitter. I wanted to go up to the counter and cry “It’s wrong you’ve got it all wrong!” I can honestly say it was the worse latte I’ve had in the Twin Cities and if you’re acquainted with that scene you’ll know just how bad that statement really is. Even Caribou, or the pale imitations of Starbucks out here can do better and even if it was bad they would have given it to me how I wanted.

I sunk it in, the rudest barista, the worse latte then everything else in Koppplins came crashing down. The worn interior, dirty walls, and all the while the moderately hip and affluent patrons sipping happily having no clue what the Puget Sound is or one of the crucial things that makes the place so special, coffee.

I have no doubt in my mind that Kopplin’s shall be a successful venture and patrons will think my judgment unfair. I still intend to give this café a second chance. However, if you are from the west coast and know better I implore you not to come here. Grab your need be pick-me-up from the airport and carry along your way. If I want a rudely acquired and poor tasting drink I’d just get snag any old cup of coffee in New York.

1  Thank Logan W