“A good time made better!”

Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Somerville, MA
“A good time made better!”
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I was at this hotel for the 2011 Frozen Four hockey tournament. By the time I booked a hotel, most properties close to the arena were sold out and I was left with few options. I booked this hotel mainly due to the unique layout of the property. It is a converted railroad foundry depot and is a registered historical site with many of the original details still intact - including the rails and a genuine railroad engine car out front. It is such a neat looking place! Many of the original wooden beams and other features of the original depot are part of the look and feel of the hotel. My room was rather average (but that is what I expected for the very reasonable price) save for a few nice touches that remind the guest of the history of the site. The room was very clean and I slept very soundly for the entire 4 night stay. They served a very nice continental breakfast with plenty of hot and cold options. Finally, I MUST commend the staff - particularly at the front desk - for their exemplary attitude. I arrived to a friendly smile from Krista. When I questioned Krista about the length and cost of my taxi ride, she thought that it seemed unusually high. I called the taxi company and the owner agreed and had the driver return with a refund. Then I discovered that I had made a gaffe during the booking and accidentally booked a smoking room. Krista found me a non-smoking room and moved me with no delay. I must also commend the always pleasant Nick (at the front desk). Because of the hockey tournament, the hotel was full and the guests kept the front desk very busy. His smile never wavered and he always had a friendly greeting for myself and other guests when we came in the door. Kudos, too for Rudy who drove the shuttle and was also friendly and polite. There are other staff whose names that I did not get, but they all deserve credit for their courteous, friendly attitudes. I would gladly return to the Best Western Banana Square.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
United States
Reviewed 23 March 2011

We stayed here while visiting St Paul/Minneapolis. It was a difficult to find because it's in the industrial area. They didn't have a lot of parking available but we got there pretty late.

The room and the facilities aren't new and it wasn't the cleanest either but it was still decent. We were there during Christmas time and there was a lot of Christmas gatherings going on around the pool. I'm talking foldable table with food against the wall right outside the gated pool, they even had crockpots! I didn't mind, it was great to see family gathering and why not stay at a hotel where you don't need to clean up afterwards. I think they also offer free popcorn but we got there too late to avail it. The pool was open late enough that my son got to swim for a little bit. We were on the main floor and it was easy to go back and forth from the pool area and the room.

They also had free wifi and breakfast. The breakfast was okay, the usual waffles, bagels and they didn't have fresh oatmeal (only in packets).

What was cool about this hotel is that it used to be a train repair shop so it had train tracks inside and the kids thought it was cool.

Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Anoini2
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We were a bit leary after reading the reviews online for this Best Western, but decided to stick with our reservations because of cost and the added train theme, which my son loves.
We had such a wonderful experience from beginning to end. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were very nice, some of the people I stayed with mentioned too hot and too cold problems with their rooms, but the poolside room we were in was great. We were able to all sit together by the pool area and visit and swim. Later in the evening the hotel clerks were very conscientious abou the noise level in the pool area since there are many rooms poolside.
I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 February 2011

I stayed at this hotel while I was visiting the University of Minnesota St Paul campus. The staff were extremely friendly, they helped drop me off and pick me up from the campus everyday i was there (sometimes multiple times a day). The staff always smiled and were very approachable and lovely. I was departing early before they served breakfast but the receptionist offered to bring me a light snack and coffee. Breakfast was fantastic, the lady who was in charge of organising breakfast (unfortunately i dont remember her name!) noticed I was a bit sniffly and bought over some lemon tea and a satchel of honey! Tina (I think she was the assistant manager) who worked at the front desk was amazing! She made my stay very comfortable and was so unbelievably helpful! I highly recommend this hotel. It is so close to the St paul campus, and if you need to get to the main campus there is a free shuttle on campus that can take you there! I have stayed a number of hotels (5 star to cheap inns) and this has by far been one of the best experiences I've had!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 February 2011

We arrived late in the evening on a busy night with 2 young kids and a dog. The desk clerk, Emily, remained calm and unflappable while dealing with a computer repairman, a group setting up a party and several people registering. She dealt with everything and then took the time to show us 2 rooms that would meet our needs, letting us pick the one we wanted. The kids noticed a popcorn machine (empty) and Emily said she would make popcorn for them when she had a chance...and she did! After things calmed down at the desk, she stopped by the room to tell us that the kids would enjoy the train museum next door if we had time the next day. We'd ordered food to be delivered and after it arrived, Emily brought us plates and napkins, having noticed that none had come with the food. She was very helpful and upbeat the whole time we were there--really makes a difference when the staff seems to enjoy their job.
The interior of the hotel still has the railroad tracks (it's an old train station) running thru it; something the kids found interesting. The breakfast area is pleasant and the friendly staff person kept hopping to keep things supplied and clean. Very efficiently run.
Check out was handled by an amiable and accomodating Nick--another sign that staff is happy.
The kids had a blast in the pool...it's nice that it's open until 10pm for kids. Our room was a pool-side room with sliding doors opening to the pool area and a table and chairs right outside the door where we could watch the kids swim and eat without getting the room all wet! Our little dog sat out there with us and enjoyed being part of the group. There was easy access to the outside for her walks too.
All in all, a great experience.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 February 2011

The hotel is only a mile from my house but I needed quiet, isolation, a comfortable working space and options for short breaks, a pool, spa, etc. The staff and facility at the Best Western Bandana Square offered all of that. When I phoned in my reserveration they took the initiative to lower their on-line price. When I said I needed to concentrate on work they gave me a quiet room with free wireless. I needed work breaks? the pool, spa, sauna and work room were handy; and the room had microwave and fridge. I had a few questions at different hours of the day or night. The staff worked with me cheerfully. And a good-sized free breakfast was included.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Located very near Como Park, Hamline University, and the Minnesota State Fairgrounds this property is convenient to everything on the northern part of metro St. Paul. Staff was simply great, especially the lady who coordinates the generous free breakfast. Wonderful selection, clean, neat and fresh. Free parking. Compact fitness center. Free internet computer. Room are of good size. Indoor pool and jacuzzi. Decent restaurant and bar - Gabes- within 2 blocks. This hotel was a very pleasant find.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo