Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel
Midwest Hotel(Saint Paul)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsbandana squaretrain stationrepair shopold railwayrailroad tracksunique hotelstate fairinteresting buildingpool sidethe breakfast areahot tubminnesota statetwin citiesfree breakfasteasy accessbeds were comfortablefree shuttle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My wife took me to St. Paul and Chicago for my birthday this last weekend. The Best Western Bandana Square was convenient to the train station and the historical train motif was great. The rooms...we had two...were clean and the breakfast, though not a hot breakfast, was pleasing. Negatively, it was a bit pricey and Spartan when compared to the five star hotel we visited in Chicago the same weekend (same price) ...especially since I used Best Western's reservation service directly. I would have expected about 20% less or more on a weekend.

Room Tip: It's worth a visit, especially if you like historical stuff. The St. Paul Model Railroad society has their display just next door on weekends. There is no dinner restaurant but a good one named Gabes is a short walk.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed here for a business trip. On a Thursday night, the hotel was relatively low-key, but having a room on the pool is an absolute nightmare if you need to sleep early (I need to wake at 3 am for a flight, but the pool is open until 11 pm and people are not very conscious of the guests in the hotel rooms a stone's throw away.

The hotel itself is gorgeous and has lots of charm as a renovated train center. Unfortunately, what I hoped as some standard courtesies and amenities are not available.

As a business traveler who packs only a carry-on and has limited liquids space, I anticipated shampoo and conditioner - but only shampoo was provided. There are ants crawling on my bed and there are no other rooms. The water pressure was non-existent and it's lucky that I'm staying alone in my room because the hot water ran out very, very quickly when showering.

The service was friendly, but this hotel is not friendly to the go to bed early traveler.

Room Tip: I'm guessing that rooms not on the pool are quieter. Children running upstairs are very loud, so I would also recommend an upper floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BizTravels12
GMBandana, General Manager at Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.

I will address your concerns with our staff in order to make sure this type of experience does not happen again

I do hope you will give us another chancel come back and see us again soon.

Regards,

James Gray

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I was a little hesitant to stay here since it's not in a cute neighborhood or in a bustling shopping/restaurant area, but decided to take a chance since it looked so charming! And it did have lots of character, which I loved. The old train buildings were in tip top shape, and were really lovely. The train motif existed throughout the hotel lobby, with the continental breakfast held in the old ticket counter area. The lobby, pool area, and rooms were all very clean.

The downside is that the breakfast was really, really poor. It was so crowded in the little ticket area where the buffet line was, you could barely move. But the worst part is that though they say they serve breakfast until 9:30, that doesn't mean they have food until 9:30. When they run out of food, they run out of food. Two mornings in a row, we were there by 9:00, and the oatmeal, fruit, and eggs were gone (which was the bulk of what they offered). All that was left were some soft apples, cold cereal, and cheap bread for toasting. By 9:25, they were putting everything away. The buffet area was clearly still packed with people, still waiting in line trying to get food, and the food staff was quickly putting everything away in front of our eyes. Customers were trying to grab the pitcher of juice off of the cart (where the staff was putting food to take it away) to quickly pour themselves a glass of juice. At 9:27 as she was putting away the loaf of bread, and I asked her if she could please at least leave me one piece of bread to eat. It was really quite strange!

(I should add though that they did have a waffle area.)

The equipment in the fitness room was in poor condition and much of it didn't work, and the hot tub was warm, not hot.

We will not stay here again, unfortunately, even though I wanted to like it! I do want to mention that the counter staff (where you first check in) was very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sailawaynow

Thank you for review! First let me say that I am sorry for the experience that you had at our hotel. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. At Best Western we strive every day to provide a superior customer experience. I am sorry we weren’t able to do that for you. We will use the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we provide a better experience in the future.

I have taken your response and have personally talked to each department head and staff member and let them know that we let you down. We have since made changes in order to address your concerns.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked and problems that you had during your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.

We hope you give us anotther chance

James Gray

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Nikki and Tina at the front desk were very helpful. I booked my stay through Expedia and the hotel hadn't received my information when I arrived to check in. I also had to shorten my stay by a day, but that wasn't a problem. The hotel was comfortable and had character. The pool was just the right size for my family, although they were out of towels on the first night that we swam. The continental breaksfast is standard - donuts, waffles, fruit.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed here for a business conference, and was surprised by how great the customer service was. The room was very comfortable and the hotel itself is just lovely.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business