“Just A hotel In an Historic Building”

Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Saint Paul
“Just A hotel In an Historic Building”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Had to book this hotel at the last minute, due to an unexpected pipe burst in my apartment. I had a lot of work to do before hand, and thought Id eat at the hotel, because they had a bar menu. All they had was Overpriced bad food. I was served 3 dry sliders,, no ketchup or mustard. all served up by a buy a bartender who seemed he could care less about being there anyway The front desk staff were friendly, once they put down the phone and dealt with the customer standing in front of them. They always kept me waiting when the phone rang, and dealt with the caller first. This happened 3 times in my first interaction. I then needed to change rooms, and get something with a double bed, because my roommate was joining me for a night, so I headed to the desk, to make the change, and of course the phone kept ringing, so that transaction took 20 minutes. Rooms were small and overpriced for the amenities on hand. Only thing they had was a pool. Bar opened from 4-9pm and I skipped the breakfast. I have paid a hundred bucks a night at many a hotel, with much more to offer. No guest laundry. Why? The closest Laundromat was miles away. Put in a guest laundry for gods sake. Beds were comfortable and the room was clean. Microwave and refrigerator were a selling point Bad point was that I could hear the kids at the pool having a good time, through the vent in my room. and they were on the other side of the hotel. There is really nothing around as far as food, other than a little dive bar restaurant on the corner, otherwise, you can stop in at the corner gas station and get your self a microwave burrito. I would recommend this hotel if they are just a place for you to get some sleep for the night and then move on. Extended stays are not recommended. This hotel should be charging 59.99 a night for what it is. But hey you get to sleep in an abandoned train station. isn't that exciting.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Watertown, United States
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We have stayed here several times since our daughter has been at Macalester. The staff is friendly and courteous, always helpful. When we have had issues, which have been infrequent, the staff has responded quickly to our needs. Our dog can travel with us. We leave him in the room, crated, with his favorite show on and off we go. The breakfast is yummy!

St. Charles, United States
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I have made Best Western Bandana Square my home away from home when traveling to the Twin Cities. It is conveniently located in a safe part of town, has free covered parking (really nice in the winter) and a wonderful staff of long-time employees. Ruth's breakfast bar is great and she is a joy to wake up to in the morning.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Ojibwa, Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This hotel has awesome customer service. The wonderful historical yet modern hotel (pool and all that) is able to meet all of my needs and is handy to shopping. They have a lovely breakfast. But in truth the best part of this hotel is the staff. They greet you with a friendly smile and try to make you as comfortable as you can be. I've been staying here on and off for years, and in all that time, have only had one less than helpful clerk.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank Dawn A
South Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Very interesting hotel. Loved the creative way the old railroad building was preserved and incorporated into the design. Great pool area, maintained well. No negative issues observed! The staff is very welcoming and helpful. No cold drafts even though it's the coldest place on the planet today! The hot tubs were wonderful! My sister and I greatly enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are convenient and quiet and have inviting patio areas by rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Austin, United States
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I chose this hotel due to its closeness to the Amtrak station and because of the Best Western name. Cleanliness if very important to me. The room smelled like a former smoking room. There was significant filth behind the tv console in my room. The linings of the curtains were stained.The paint was pealing around the deck of the swimming pool. My son was afraid to swim in the pool in the evening because the area was so poorly lit. The only plus was the free breakfast and the courteous desk staff at check in.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

welovetrips, General Manager at Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. At Best Western we strive every day to provide a superior customer experience. I am sorry we weren’t able to do that for you. We will use the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we provide a better experience in the future.

I take what you have to say serious and I do thank you for all of your feedback. Please know that we are in the process of adding better light to the pool area, fixing the pool coping, and getting all new drapes for every room.
Please consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with superior service.

Travellers are raving about these Saint Paul hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I would definitely not recommend to any one or stay there next time. Most of amenity and breakfast are below expectations and very far away from any Minnesota's amusements and shopping mall. Without help of GPS most of people would have hard time to finding the hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We appreciate all our reviews good and bad and welcome each review. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and do hope that you will try us again in the future. In regard to your review I would like to point out a few things for you to consider the next time you’re in the area. The first one is proximity to the malls and Minnesota’s amusements. We are only 3 miles from Rosedale shopping mall Minnesota’s 2nd most visited mall behind the Mall of America. Como Zoo, Conservatory, Children’s Museum, and History Museum are all with in 5 miles or less from the hotel.

Also as I am sure you are aware we are going through renovations at this time. Once we complete the renovations we will also be adding a warm items and upgrading our breakfast!

I do hope that you will give us a chance again in the future.

Regards,