“Affordable accomodations”

Days Inn ST. Paul-Minneapolis-Midway
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Although the price is right, and the hotel has a big swimming pool and new jacuzzi, we won't stay here again. It has a smell like an old hotel where there was lots of smoking, even tho it is non-smoking now. The manager was warm and friendly, and thanked us for staying there. They are trying, but it's just not up to par and we'll pay more next time for another place. Windows on restaurant doors were smudged, bed covers were dated and old, some of restaurant clientelle was questionable . However, room and hotel was clean, and for many people on a budget this would be acceptable.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the street.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank revgmb4689

Reviewed 5 May 2012

When I first arrived I wasn't sure I made a good choice. I ignored the lightrail construction going on as I love public transit, and it has to be built, but the parking lot seemed in need of repaving, and the collection of cars that first night seemed a bit worn. My concern continued when I went in to the desk and was cooly met by the empoloyee working. Nothing wrong with her, just not very interested in the customer. And then, I walked up to my room to find...

...that my room was great. I asked for a room away from traffic and received an upper floor room at the back of the hotel, which made it a bit of a hike to and from the car, but the room was in great condition, very clean, and bright. Ice and vending were just down the stairs by the nice indoor pool, hot tub, and sauna. I only saw coffee for breakfast, but there is a restaurant/bar onsite (it seemed a hit with regulars). The only odd feeling I had was walking down the clean hallways. They reminded me of a YMCA I once stayed at in Rome - a bit dated and plainly functional.

The traffic and construction was easy to navagate once you got around it once. I liked that the hotel was in fact midway. I visited downtown St. Paul one day, and then downtown Minneapolis the next, both easy to get on University Avenue. And starting in 2014, the lightrail will be great for getting around.

Other places to eat were a bit of a walk, but included most of the fast food kings, and there are two groceries a mile or so east (Rainbow and Cubs). I bought my hot dinners on the way home from the city visits at the Rainbow and was very happy. Breakfast of oatmeal at McD's, and a Veggie sandwich at Jimmy Johns completed my dining experiences. Nothing special, but economical and enjoyable.

So, once I got past the parking lot, I was OK here. It will be nicer once the lightrail is completed.

Room Tip: I really liked my room on the second floor at the rear of the property. A hike from parking, and th...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank SenseIntoDollars
Reviewed 29 April 2012

The hotel was clean and handily positioned for Amtrak although its quite a distance from the centre of town we managed to use the bus services.
The added bonus for us was the free pool and whirlpool which were very clean and just the right temperature.
The management could have been a little more "on the ball / helpful" but they didn't detract too much from the overall experience.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank brycephillips
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I spent only one night in this hotel, but even then I had the feeling of beeing very welcomed! The rooms were clean, the service was excellent, people were very friendly and helpful. You can have a breakfast at the restaurant next door, so it was very easy for the start. It was my very first night in the USA and I had a very good first impression. Thank you!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patricia S
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This place is what it is and isn't what it isn't. What it is: a convenient, clean, no-nosense, 80s era Day's Inn that can provide a comfortable night's stay at a reasonable price right in town and close to colleges and train depot. What it is not: honeymoon material, breakfast waffle makers, room service. Warehouse and industrial traffic, but safe and sensible. Can get to either downtown or U of M pretty fast. Also close to private colleges: Hamline, Macalester, St. Thomas, St. Kate's, Concordia U. Catching a train or getting in late? A few blocks away from the AmTrak depot.

Room Tip: Interior entrance and end of hallway are good bets.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 February 2012

The Days Inn hotel in St. Paul, Minnesota was a great place to stay in during the cold month of January. The Intelligent Systems Club from the University of Michigan-Dearborn was treated as kings for our week-long stay. The food, cleanliness, hospitality, and accommodations were worth 5 stars each. The manager of the hotel went above normal to provide us with a testing ground for our robotic snowplow to compete at the 2012 Autonomous Snowplow competition. The testing ground was very helpful to us in achieving good results in the competition. The Days Inn will definitely be our next stop for the 2013 Autonomous Snowplow competition.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ISCUM-Dearborn
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I stayed at the Days Inn Midway from Oct. 15-20, 2011. I was referred to the Days Inn Midway by the Days Inn University which was booked for the football weekend, Both Inns are located on University Ave. with Midway located on the St. Paul end of University Ave. After traveling from overseas I arrived at the Inn early and before normal check-in time. I was directed to the restaurant where I had breakfast and read the newspaper while waiting for my room to be cleaned. The desk clerk was very polite and alerted the housekeeping department of my early arrival. Although the building is older looking, I was pleasantly surprised to find the room to be fitted with clean modern furniture and fixtures. The same was true of the bathroom. The room was spacious and located on the 1st floor, not far from the indoor swiming pool. I was impressed by the friendliness of the staff from the manager on down. They greeted me every day and truly made me feel at home and not just a source of revenue. A newspaper was left at my door each day and coffee was available in the lobby 24/7. The lobby is small but cozy and allows for a comfortable one on one intereaction with the front desk staff. There is a restaurant and lounge in the building, so you don't have to travel outside to dine. The menu prices were very reasonable and the staff was very accommodating. The time I spent in the lounge, in the evening, was relaxing and offered 2 widescreen televisions along with a juke-box for music. There was also a limited menu available from the kitchen for late night snacks. The lounge staff was very attentive and performed in a professional and friendly manner. There was plenty of parking available with ample lighting. There was construction in the area for a light rail system between St. Paul and Minneapolis but I did not find getting around it to be a problem. My career has been in the hospitality field in both food and lodging. I have a tendancy to be over observant when visiting facilities and my expectations are high. I can honestly say that my stay at the Midway Inn was free of any issues and that the entire staff exceeded my expectations. My stay reminds me of the old saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover". You will be pleasantly surprised.when you stay at this Inn.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a refrigerator. If you want one then ask for a room that has one.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
University / Dinkytown
Ramada Plaza Minneapolis
Ramada Plaza Minneapolis
#20 of 50 in Minneapolis

Been to Days Inn ST. Paul-Minneapolis-Midway? Share your experiences!