“Excellent - I Intend to Be Back Again”
Review of Palmer House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sauk Centre
Palmer House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Sauk Centre
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
“Excellent - I Intend to Be Back Again”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Had a wonderful night here. I only wish I could have stayed a second night, but they were completely booked. There are only about 10-some rooms in the hotel - not even enough for our group. If you are thinking about staying here, I'd book early and get the room you want.

We came up with a paranormal group, and did an investigation at the hotel. Compared to the hotel that we stayed at the second night - this place was a dream. I will say that if you stay on the second floor you will hear the people walking around above you, and you may here the people talking in the rooms next to you, but it wasn't that bad. It's an old building - and it wasn't any worse than the 100 year old apartment I live in, so I was used to it. Bring earplugs if you think it will bother you. The AC drowns a lot of it out.

There are some repairs needed in the hotel - it seems as if the roof leaked at some point, and there is a sign at the desk explaining that they were advised not to fix anything until the insurance claim is settled. The room I was in, room 11, seemed to be well kept.

The staff was extremely attentive, and even served us food well after they should have been closed, because our investigation ran until 2AM. Occasionally, you have to track someone down if you need something, because they do not sit at the desk - they keep very busy.

I got to see the inside of one of the rooms that had 2 queen beds. The room was unusual, because as you enter their is one room with one bed, and then you go through a doorway where the other bed is, and there is a hall that leads to the bathroom - but you would have to walk through the second bedroom to get to the bathroom.

I did have an experience in the hotel. I saw a woman (ghost) leaning over our bed at about 4 AM, but it disappeared as soon as I saw it. I was so tired, I just went to sleep after it happened.

I only have a couple cons about the hotel:
If you are sensitive to scents, this might not be the place for you. They use heavy air fresheners here, because there is a fertilizer plant down the street. If the wind hits just right, your room might smell like poo - so that's why there are air freshener plug ins and stick ups everywhere.

The drapes on the bathroom are a little strange. I can understand some of the tight spaces, it might be better to use a drape instead of a door, but in our room, the drape for our bathroom only covered about 3/4 of the doorway. If you are staying with people that you are a little shy about doing your business around, than this might be a problem, luckily I was staying with my boyfriend - and we simply gave each other space when one of us was using the bathroom.

Room Tip: Room 11 was great, because it was a corner room - far from the two streets. However if there is an...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tigereye79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Johannesburg, Michigan
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I was in the area for business and chose the Palmer House for its history (only stayed one night). I wasn't seeking a paranormal experience but found it interesting (and heard nothing out of the ordinary all night!). I was a little apprehensive because there are some bad reviews to be found. It was winter (so an off season for tourists) and I found the service to be quite fine. It was exactly as other reviewers had stated - the cook checked me into my room - the waitress got me a blow dryer (none in rooms) - etc.. but they all did it quickly and efficiently. They all do their part to get you what you need. I had a big fat burger (the House Burger) and home made fries that I loved. Wifi worked for me. The building was beautiful and the history was cool. Very clean room with neat little points of history for you to read. There are souvenirs and a log book about guests paranormal experiences. My ONLY complaint would be, the windows are old and you are on a main street. With the trucks and traffic going through town throughout the night - I didn't sleep well. And there is no elevator to take your stuff up to your room (I was on the third floor). With all of that, I would stay here again with my family though!

Room Tip: Park on the side (or alley) of the building. It is closer than parking out on the street - which i...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank april s
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 February 2014

After reading previous reviews, I was concerned about the customer service at the hotel, but thought perhaps some people were expecting more. Well, expect nothing.

First, I will say our stay wasn't horrible. It is a very OLD building, but our room was very clean as well as other areas of the hotel. The walls are paper thin so you will hear everything, which is also to be expected with the age of the hotel. The only thing that made our stay worthwhile was the food.

The staff seemed to be non-existent. I would guess that they have an entire staff of five, with everyone doing each others' job duties. Nobody was ever at the front desk. So if you needed something, you had to try and find someone.

We stayed for two nights, a Friday and Saturday. Our first night was fine. We got in late, checked in, went into the pub for dinner, then spent some time in the lobby and took pictures and went to bed.

On our second night, during the afternoon a group of about six or seven very loud and obnoxious people checked in. For the rest of our stay, we heard them yelling, screaming, slamming doors, running in the hall, etc. They obviously had zero respect for others. By 7pm one of the females in this group was passed out cold and three men were trying to get her up the steps to put her in her room while staff just watched for about 20 minutes. Around midnight, the rest of the group went to their rooms, highly intoxicated and in the room directly above ours, an all out screaming verbal domestic took place for at least a half hour, then they were quiet for a bit and started arguing again off and on until about 3am. Why the bartender let that one girl get so incredibly drunk, I've no idea, and why the owner or management allowed them to carry on all through the night is completely beyond me.

I know we had no control over who stayed when we were there, however, management should have taken some action but they obviously care more about making a buck than how other guests are affected by such behavior.

We didn't experience any paranormal activity (probably because the obnoxious guests scared the spirits into submission) but we made the best out of the weekend.

I wouldn't be able to recommend this hotel to anyone. At least, not anyone I like.

Upon checkout, this was the first hotel I have ever stayed at where I wasn't asked how my stay was.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mspackfan
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My daughter and I went for a night at the Palmer House for a haunted experience and we got one. Stayed in room #17 with Lucy. She made herself known by sitting on the bed next to me; then kicking the bed to be sure I was aware she was truly there. My daughter voiced her disapproval at the lack of action from Lucy about 1 hour into our stay and just after she voiced her disapproval, the TV turned off. Later that evening, my daughter experienced the feeling of someone sitting on the bed right behind her. When we looked, of course there was nothing there. I took many pictures in room #17. I have about a dozen pictures of a light anomolie floating above and around Lucy's chair. Could not see it with the naked eye, but on my camera there is a light that looks like you could hold it in your hand. It has substance on film and floats around and above her chair. Very cool. I will post them as soon as my granddaughter shows her old grandmother how to do it...... Stay tuned.
We can't wait to get back to the Palmer House for another exciting visit; this time in room #11.

Room Tip: I had never before experienced anything paranormal before in my life. Room #17 is Lucy's room a...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Dionione
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Some friends and I decided to go to the hotel to experience hauntings. We met some really nice people and truly got the scare of our lives. This hotel is really haunted. We also got some really good EVP's and photos of apparitions. If you are looking for a scare-go there-you won't be disappointed. I stayed in room 22, I'm not sure if I ever go again due to I'm still reliving the haunts that scared me today. But it's a possibility.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a haunt ask for the haunted rooms. But the hallways are haunted with childre...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Kim W
Minnesota
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The Palmer House is a great experience. It is reputed to be haunted and has been featured on several paranormal programs. The hotel itself is historic. The rooms are basic rooms one would expect in an historic hotel, whirlpool suites available. It is pet-friendly which is a great feature in this type of hotel experience.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mew57
Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My best friend and I stayed here as a sort of "last hoorah" before she gets married in a couple of weeks. We were expecting some fun paranormal moments and a spooky time, but what we got was so much more than that. The amount of respect that the employees and the owner has for this building is incredible, and the atmosphere reflects that warmth and love. Sure, it is an older building, but I would encourage you to see what some may deem "flaws" as adding to it's character. I have no complaints whatsoever about the state of the building like some on here seem to. It's all part of the experience. The room was very clean, the hotel itself was all decorated for Halloween which added to its charm, and the staff was wonderful. Even the basement investigation was a great time! I can't wait to go back. If it weren't such a trek, I'd love to go more often just for the investigations. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: 11 and 17 are famous, but you have to book in advance! ;)
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Americas Best Value Inn Sauk Centre
Baymont Inn & Suites Albany
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Glenwood
Hampton Inn and Suites Alexandria

Been to Palmer House Hotel? Share your experiences!