“Hiker beware....” 4 of 5 bubbles

Minneapolis, M
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Hiker beware....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I have written about Murphy Hanrahan hiking in the past but felt compelled to write again after running into several people over the past few weeks who have gotten lost in the park. Yes, the park is stunning, particularly this time of year (fall). Yes, you will have hills to hike that have some loose rocks in places --- all worth it in my opinion...
Let me just say that the trails in the park are VERY POORLY marked. I am a very good map reader but the trails are not marked properly. In the past two weeks we have been hiking in the park and we have run into 4 groups of people who have been lost and felt very disoriented. Not only are the trails poorly marked, but the numbering conventions must have been created by someone who didn't know what they were doing.
It's scary to get lost in that park. I was there many years ago when we eventually saw the road and broke through the foliage to get onto the road. We plan to write to the 3 parks district so they can hopefully improve the labeling of trails.
It truly is a stunning park and one that should be discovered by more people... but beware for now. Make sure you take a cell phone with you.
I was happy to see the parking lot empty last night when we came out of the woods. Hopefully all hikers made their way out last night.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank mnfun2bme2

Minneapolis, M
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A beautiful discovery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

I had lived 10 years in the area before I discovered this park. That's the real shame here. The other shame is the number of woodticks on the trails that keep us out of the park in early spring. I have only used the park for hiking but to my understanding, it is fabulous for biking and cross crounty skiing.

This park is a HUGE step out of the cities into beautiful, hilly terrain. It is absolutely stunning in the fall with the mixture of oak and maple trees. Birdwatching is fabulous! The combination of lakes/hills/and hills make it great for hikes of all lengths.

I am a map reader but only the shorter trails near the entrance of the park are marked well. (and "well" is stretching it). You can grab a map on your way into the trails and work your way through but make sure you're paying close attention. The trails are not straight and it's easy lose your sense of direction because the trails wind this way and that. The first year we ended up missing a turn and found ourselves way on the east end of the park and we walked North until we broke out onto Burnsville Pkwy.

Have fun, enjoy the beauty.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank mnfun2bme2
Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Not for the faint of heart, or breath”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

Any bike rider can tell you that Dakota County is unlike anywhere in the Twin Cities. Many sharp hills, all up and down. Murphy Hanrahan concentrates this, and adds snow. It is the most challenging area to cross country ski in the Cities.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank MnVan
Cloquet
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Perfect birding park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

There a few gems for bird watchers in this park. Got an excellent shot at a black-throated green warbler. Not overly crowded and the bike riders are very respectful.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank birdwatcher1221
Minneapolis, Minnesota
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“A barely-discovered treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

Within two minutes of walking or biking here, you will feel like you're in the country. The single-track bike trail is one of the twin cities' best. Living a mile from this park is a huge plus for me.

Visited October 2012