“July 12, 2013 Review” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Savage
Greenville, South Carolina
“July 12, 2013 Review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

My family spent one night at this hotel. There is no elevator and you have to walk down several stairs to the first floor rooms. Our room did not have a refrigerator even though we had reserved a room with one. One was brought to our room by hotel staff. In addition, the air conditioner was not working properly. It was replaced while we were out. We felt that maintenance was not up to par as a previous guest would most likely have noticed the problem with the unit. Breakfast was okay but not noteworthy. Overall, not as clean and well-maintained as it should be for a Choice Hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Kenosha, Wisconsin, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I think we were lucky. Our room was not as ghetto as some of the other rooms described in the reviews. We must have had a renovated room. We did not experience the smells that other reviews have complained about (thank god!). I would've walked out if it smelled like any kind of urine. Our room was...ok. I did see a cigarette burn on one of the comforters. The sheets were clean. The faucet for the tub/shower was tricky and difficult to turn on. In fact, my boyfriend asked the front desk about it. Obviously, they know about this problem and don't care to fix it. The front desk explained the trick to turning it on. What a pain. Also, the water in the shower changes temperatures drastically! Almost got my butt burned a few times and others it would get ice cold for a bit. Beware of that! The bathroom was very small. The wallpaper is bubbling, peeling off the walls. There was no mold that I could see, and there was a working fan in there in the bathroom. A small one, so I'm not sure how well it does the job. Our room was in the back, third floor. The traffic noise from the front bounces off the buildings in the back so I'm not sure that it is much better to be in the back. There is a train very close by, and yes this disturbed my sleep. That isn't the hotel's fault. The pool looked alright, I didn't swim in it. The hot tub was clean. The staff was nice...we didn't experience any rudeness. It did bother me that they had a candle burning at the front desk. I've never seen a hotel/motel that does this. Fire hazard??...I think so. The breakfast was meh. Don't bother with the biscuits & gravy. Hard biscuits and blah gravy. My boyfriend works for a Choice Hotel, so we had a good rate on the room. I'm surprised that this hotel is still part of Choice because of how poorly maintained it is. I would not recommend staying at this place.

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside are quieter, but your still going to hear the traffic & train.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer K
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

This is a lil hotel in lil town south of Minneapolis. great for the renaissance festival, Canterbury park, and only about 15 min from mall of America. Its not perfect parking can be tight but the staff is excellent and always goes tge extra mile to take care of their guests.

• Stayed September 2013
Swea City, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed there on Friday Sept. 20 - Saturday Sept 21. We were looking, last minute, for a place to stay as we were going to the Darius Rucker concert at Mystic Lake. When we arrived the lobby was small but very clean and welcoming. We were checked in with no problems or delays. Once we got to the room it was very clean and the bed was super comfortable. I would stay there again, hopefully when i make the trip to see the MN Vikings play. The only negative that i have to say is that when we got back from the concert the parking lot was Full, very hard to find a spot to park. All in all a great experience. Tonja M. Cook Swea City Iowa

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stayed here for two nights. Overall, we had a great experience. It's not easy finding dog friendly hotels that are clean but we found one here. Although the location was further from main attractions like Target Field and Mall of America, the price and easy access to the highway made it worthwhile. The room was nicely updated--pretty décor, fresh paint, new carpet. As a previous reviewer said, the A/C is adequate but the humidity level was pretty high in the room itself. The parking lot is oddly laid out so our Expedition was more difficult to maneuver but overall it's a nice, clean hotel and the staff was great too. There's a mini-mart across the street, the neighborhood (we walked our dogs around) was peaceful, and there's a Culvers next door.

Room Tip: There are no elevators so be prepared.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Despite all the bad reviews for this place, I feel the need to share my experience in case there are people thinking this is a great deal. It's not, it's not worth the $80 for the room if you can afford more. I was out in the area for a wedding and, due to drinking, wanted to stay in the area. I was planning on a room at the nearby casino but I didn't reserve quick enough to get a good rate. After my experience, I should have just spent the $200 for a room at mystic. The hotel wreaks of cigarette smoke, the halls, the pool, the front office, it was all so smokey. That was the first thing my boyfriend said when we walked in. The room was fine for the most part, the sheets were clean, the room was generally clean, and thankfully there wasn't a lingering smoke smell either. However, the comforter had a cigarette burn in it, and the decor of the room was just generally outdated and stale. It was a 95 degree day and, although the AC worked, it worked poorly; the room was very humid and stuffy for our entire one-night stay. I took a shower in the evening and very suddenly the water went from warm to extremely hot in a matter of seconds. Thankfully I didn't get burned badly. I informed the front office boy about it and he didn't seem to care or offer me any kind of compensation for the issue. I was not impressed. In the morning during checkout, the process was excessively slow. The cops also showed up to deal with some domestic issue going on, which was a little scary. Also, the people staying there were very sketchy. One gal carried some other couples child (because he was wandering the halls alone) and the parents berated her for taking their child to the front desk. Several residents were obviously on drugs. It's just trashy, ghetto, and unpolished. While I realize that there are people out there who will have to stay in places like this due to the price, please try and keep your kids away from this hotel and get something better and safer. I couldn't help but worry that some poor child might burn him or herself in the death trap of a shower.

Room Tip: Get a room on the far edge of the hotel to avoid excess noise and the other residents.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank K R
Dallas, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

This hotel is in a questionable area and is questionable itself. It smells a bit funky, the rooms are small and feel dirty. They have NO ELEVATOR as well, which would have been nice to know before having to lug 50lbs of luggage up 3 flights of stairs.

THe staff was great but the hotel needs more than good staff to make it worth a stay. Avoid this hotel and this area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Savage
LivINN Hotel Minneapolis South / Burnsville
Mystic Lake Casino Hotel
Mystic Lake Casino Hotel
#1 of 1 in Prior Lake
Hampton Inn Minneapolis/Burnsville
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Shakopee - Canterbury Park
Hampton Inn Minneapolis Bloomington West
GrandStay Hotel & Conference Apple Valley

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!