Hampton Inn Minneapolis/Shakopee
US$101
US$96
US$93
US$81
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsgreat hoteleasy accesswould stay here againmystic lake casinobreakfast areathe hotel staffright next doorrooms were very cleanbed was very comfortableking roomexcellent stayamusement parkbreakfast was excellentcomplimentary breakfastthe staff was greatshuttle servicebusiness trip
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights on business in April 2012. The property was great! I was in a king sized room which was spacious and clean. I loved that the bed faced the window so I could sit in bed and watch the cars roll by. Speaking of sitting in bed, the lap desk provided is a great touch! I use one at home so I love having one while on the road. The bed was very cozy and had lots of pillows. I found the heating / air conditioning unit a bit loud at night so I just turned it off before bed. No worries.

The bathroom was very nice. I loved the sink/counter. One thing I wasn’t super pleased with was the fact that I only had a shower, no bath. I inquired and apparently only the 2 Queen rooms have tubs, not the King rooms. I’m going back in a month and may request a 2 Queen room so I can have a tub. When a busy mom is away from home, she likes to soak and relax!!!!

The property is only two years old so it’s shiny and new. Apparently there is a hot water issue on the property but I didn’t have a problem. I showered 3 times during my stay, all at night. It sounds like perhaps the hot water issue is more of a morning thing, while the system is taxed. The engineer (handyman) said they have had this issue since opening and he seemed frustrated. Perhaps it’s time for head office to invest some time/money in this issue and get it fixed once and for all! At any rate, it was no issue for me.

The free breakfasts were great! They had a few hot items each day. One day it was eggs, sausages and pancakes, another day it was mini cheese omelets, bacon and hash browns. YUM! I ate breakfast 5 mornings and they were all a bit different. They also had a DIY waffle station, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, toast/bagels w/ a toaster, cut fruit, baked goods, juice, coffee, plus more! I had the hot items most days and they were great! On my last day I went down about an hour and a half later and had a less pleasurable experience. The pancakes were dry around the edges and the ham was too hard to cut with my plastic knife. I guess 7:30am is a better time to get fresh food! As for the coffee, it was great and plentiful! I loved that I didn’t have to make that gross room coffee. They had several selections in the lobby and even had cream and international delight to put in it. I like that!

I watched the tv a few times but found it a bit frustrating that there was no tv guide. I tried looking up the guide online, but the channel numbers never seemed to line up with those used in the hotel. Not a deal breaker or anything as I’m not a big tv watcher.

The free internet was great! I used it a lot and was able to successfully skype with my family back home. They have wired and wireless internet there. One thing I didn’t much like was how the internet kept logging me out and I’d have to log back in. It probably only happened once a day, but with 3 devices connecting to it, it was annoying. It would be nice if your login stayed connected for the whole duration of your stay.

The room didn’t have a fridge or microwave in it but I inquired at the front desk and they put a mini fridge in for me free of charge! Great service.

The hotel is a bit out in the middle of nowhere. I didn’t have a car and was pretty much trapped out there. Not fun. Cab ride from the airport was $62!!!!! Next time I go I’m putting my $124 towards a rental car instead!

Although there is no restaurant on site, there are 3 restaurants nearby: Subway, Qdoba Mexican and Ruby Tuesdays. I ate at Ruby Tuesdays three times and I was happy with it. They have a great salad bar and free wifi. For those of us roaming from Canada, free wifi is important for those smart phones!

All in all a great stay. Relaxing and comfortable!

Room Tip: If you want a bath tub, get a 2 Queen Room! Get your hot breakfast early if you want it to be fresh.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Recently stayed at this fine property for a wedding at the nearby Wilds Golf Course.
What a clean and beautiful hotel. My room was so comfortable. Service was top
notch. Good coffee in the lobby area is always a nice plus. The breakfast area is
appreciated as a late night gathering place as well, eliminating the need for a
"hospitality room" where other guests might be sleeping. The breakfast was very good
as well. I would highly recommend this new hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I have a long-term consulting engagement in the nearby Eden Prairie area and relocated to this property after multiple issues over a long period of time at the Hampton Inn in Eden Prairie (see my review here on TA about that property) finally caused me to seek other Hilton-brand accommodations, given my longtime high Hilton Honors status and brand loyalty. The front desk staff and management of the Hampton Shakopee made an excellent first impression, as did the cleanliness and newness of the property, and so I switched my repeat business here for 7 or 8 weeklong stays over a 3-4 month period. Given those positives, plus the shortcomings of my previous choice of accommodations, I REALLY wanted to love this property.

While my consulting engagement has continued as of this review, I'm afraid the same cannot be said for my staying at the Hampton Shakopee at this point. After those multiple stays and after staying in a different room each stay in different parts of the property, I can confirm that the plumbing issue that reviewer "CathyAT" posted here on Sept. 12, 2011 is still in place many months later, and it's not isolated to particular rooms: For a majority of the time and in every room in which I stayed, the faucets and showers flow with only hot to scalding-hot water, and on the cold side it flows either hot, or at best, lukewarm...and never cold. (In fairness, I did experience that sometimes it DOES intermittently work right, but not often.) Like "CathyAT", I resorted to the third-world solution of using bottled water to brush my teeth, and I had to take fast and "nimble" showers each morning to prevent being burned when it flowed scalding hot, as opposed to just "hot".

I was in constant contact with the staff and general manager of the property during every weeklong stay, and while the earnestness of the staff and management is what saves a 2-star review instead of a 1 or 0 star rating (because everything else about this property and its staff is excellent), the fact is that there is a chronic property-wide plumbing/infrastructure problem here that management/ownership and/or the construction/plumbing contractors need to finally solve NOW. High season (ValleyFair/Canterbury) for this otherwise-excellent property will be starting soon, and guests WILL compare notes with each other while enjoying the excellent complimentary breakfast in the morning ("Hey stranger, my shower water was scalding hot this morning and I brushed my teeth with disgusting warm water...how was the water in YOUR room?"). This (plus inevitable other similar reviews here on TA) is not the sort of word of mouth the management can afford to sustain. Remember, not every guest brings issues to the attention of management...many/most will just check out and not come back, and will simply tell others not to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DaveR19
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Thank you for the very candid and honest review of the property. We appreciate that you rated us a 5/5 stars on Cleanliness and Service. We work very hard to ensure that our guests get the best possible treatment when they are here.

We have identified the source of the problem relating to the water temperature issue. A combination of under perfoming cartridges from the manufacturer and a mixing valve issue that was rebuilt by the plumbing contractor. As this hotel is only 2 years old, these problems should have never arised so quickly, but the good news is that we have identiifed and resolved this issue with our contractors.

Our guests are now enjoying perfectly working facilities and the same 5 star service and cleanliness.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

This Hampton never fails to amaze me. This is my 2nd time staying and I received the same great service, room cleanliness, and breakfast...Oh yeah, and the coffee is amazing. The management obviously know what they are doing with this property!! Keep up the good work and I hope to be back soon!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank curban17
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Would definitely stay there again. The gym is great!

• Stayed: September 2011