“Brand New and Close to Valleyfair”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Minneapolis SW - Shakopee
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Shakopee
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My teenage son and I spent a couple of nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Shakopee during our mid-July road trip to Chicago. The Twin Cities are about the halfway point on the way home and I selected this hotel because of its proximity to Valleyfair, about a 5-10 minute drive (at most).

As most of the other reviewers have noted, this hotel is brand-spanking new...only a few months old at the time we were there. As a result, everything is still super-clean, in good condition, and right up-to-date. Our room was a good size with two queen beds, as well as a sitting area complete with couch and coffee table. Amenities such as the small fridge & microwave were useful...although it also would've been nice to have had an in-room safe (for our passports, etc).

The pool area wasn't the greatest...quite small with a low ceiling...built on the main floor underneath the second floor rooms (as opposed to being built as an extension off the main floor as with many other hotels). Because of that, the pool area was quite loud, especially given the number of kids that were there...although we did manage a relatively quiet swim in the late afternoon prior to the evening rush.

On the other hand, the breakfast at the hotel was very good...at the top end of the Holiday Inn Express scale. They had a very ample selection of all sorts of breakfast standards, including a fair number of cooked dishes (eg. biscuits & gravy, eggs, bacon or sausage, etc). The breakfast eating area was also quite spacious...they could easily add a few extra tables to reduce the frustrations of guests having to stand around waiting for a table to open up.

Overall, we were happy with our choice of hotel...probably one of the better mid-range places in the area near Valleyfair (and Canterbury Park horse race track).

1  Thank TheFamilyPLAR
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Minneapolis SW - Shakopee

Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, brand new, clean pool with a comfortable swimming temperature. Slept like a baby. From our room we could see the fireworks from Valley Fair. Breakfast was standard holiday inn breakfast. Kids loved the make your own pancake machine. Would stay here next time we visit.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Frostyh
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed here overnight after a day of fun at Valleyfair. We are a family of 5 so I had booked the suite with two queen beds and a hide-a-bed. The room itself was very spacious and included a dorm size refrigerator with a freezer large enough to hold the two ice packs from our cooler, microwave and single serve coffee maker. In a cupboard we found a glass Pyrex type casserole dish so we could have made mac & cheese or some other box dish in the microwave. Beds and linens were super comfy and pillows are labeled soft/firm. Plenty of seating area with the hide-a-bed, table w/2 chairs, a desk w/chair and a club chair w/ottoman. Washer/dryer, ice machine and vending are located on every floor - I love that! Pool area is nice and includes a 5 person Jacuzzi, tables & chairs and towels. The information in the room said the pool was open until midnight, but the front desk had told us 11 pm so I'm not sure which it is exactly. The fitness center has two treadmills, bike, elliptical and free weights to 50#'s. Oh, and water & towels! To access the fitness center & pool area you'll need your room key-card. Breakfast in the morning was good and the woman running the show ran her tail off keeping up with all the people from 6-10 am. Hot items included biscuits & gravy, scrambled eggs, sausage and a pancake maker! Most were fascinated by this pancake maker..."What'll they think of next!" "I'm going to have to get one of these!" All of the staff were polite and friendly. Tips: Less than two miles from Valleyfair, Walmart & Sam's Club are side-by-side and about a ten minute drive, there are also some restaurants in this area (White Castle, Chipotle) Canterbury Park is about a mile or less, Culver's is less than a half mile west on 12th Ave E (on the left) and a Super America gas station is on the right. We had a great stay and would definitely stay here again when we're in the area!

2  Thank msnctydawn
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Superb front desk customer service. Polite, friendly, and well informed. Clean and modern looking. Quiet. Convenient location. Easy to find. Oh soooo comfortable beds/bedding. Almost better than home. Nice pool area. Great value.

I would stay over and over again. I can't think of enough positive things to say, especially after a horrible experience at the Best Western Plus in Shakopee.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank C H
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This location opened in May 2013! The hotel is very clean! Everything you would expect from a Holiday Inn. Good breakfast in the morning and friendly staff.

Excellent location if you are going to Valleyfair.

The only negative thing I would say is the staff need a little more customer service training, especially the evening front desk staff. I asked the girl at the front desk staff about a restaurant, the clerks response was "I am not sure, I am not from around here!" I was given a sheet of paper with an address of some restaurants and told I could enter in the address into my GPS!

I asked another front desk staff member if he could help me make a reservation at the next holiday in on my route... I was told a flat out NO! I made the reservation online myself but when I got to my next holiday inn located in Rapid City (Plaza) the desk clerk was more then happy to help me make my next reservation for me in Custer, SD. To me... This is customer service, being told NO should never come from a front desk clerk. They should always be willing to help!

Everything else about this hotel was great. I would stay here again... By then the front desk staff should be trained by then.

Room Tip: Very close to Valleyfair...
2  Thank Gordtgr
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Title pretty much says it all. We stayed here overnight on a recent trip to Valleyfair. We didn't check in until almost 10 and were very tired and hungry. Pizza guy was making a delivery and got rave reviews from the nice desk lady. I don't remember what the name was but really good pizza. After belly's were full we all crashed hard. Soft beds, quiet rooms and blocked out the light in the morning. The next day after checking out, we had a dead battery and needed to call for assistance. The desk manager gave us cards so I could take the kids to the pool while we waited for a jump. like I said Clean, Comfy, Friendly. About 2 miles from the park with very easy access.

1  Thank Mark M
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Huge rooms and brand new. Great place to stay if you are looking for a day at Valleyfair or Canterbury. It was further off the "main" road than I expected, but its location is perfect. Has the Holiday Inn breakfast available in the morning, with a great selection. There were plenty of children around (because of the summer visit in close proximity of Valleyfair), but the place was very quiet. Microwave and fridge was an added bonus!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shakopee
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Shakopee - Canterbury Park
#1 of 1 in Prior Lake
AmericInn Chanhassen
AmericInn Chanhassen
#2 of 4 in Chanhassen

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Minneapolis SW - Shakopee? Share your experiences!