“Used to be a smoking hotel?”

Best Western Plus St. Paul North/Shoreview
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Shoreview
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The hotel room even though it was marked non-smoking had a lingering smell of cigarette smoke. The furnishings were nice in the room. The breakfast had a good selection, but was very crowded as there was a hot-rod convention in town.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
HamptonInnShoreview, Manager at Best Western Plus St. Paul North/Shoreview, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as it assists us on improving our service and quality.

I am sorry you experienced the smoky issue. Our rooms have been fully renovated from the carpet/drapes to the furniture to the paint on the walls and ceiling. However, sometimes people break the rules and smoke where they shouldn't. Our housekeepers work very hard to eliminate these issues when they come up. I hope you found consolation in the apology and refund you received.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed the updated furnishings and our complimentary breakfast. Car show is a great event, but it is very busy. I hope you find an opportunity to visit us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus St. Paul North/Shoreview

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I had to lug four bags up a flight of stairs as this property has no elevator. Unacceptable for a Hilton property. The room rate was high, even for a Hampton, but if I wanted stairs, I could have gotten a Motel 6 for a third the cost. The staff was great, and the room was fine, but at this price, I do not expect to have to pull my bags up the stairs.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
HamptonInnShoreview, Manager at Best Western Plus St. Paul North/Shoreview, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your stay. Our lack of elevator does make it difficult for our guests with lots of luggage. Our location is actually slated to install 2 elevators by early 2015. This should help to alleviate future hassles a second floor room causes..

I hope you were pleased with the refund and apology you received when I contacted you earlier this week. Thank you for your kind remarks on the staff. We have some great people who are dedicated to providing superior service.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Met here two times with my sisters for a weekend. Both times were happy with experience. Location is convenient for both St. Paul and Minneapolis. Having breakfast in hotel adds to positive experience..no running somewhere just to start the day. This time used that area to relax at the end of the day with a cup of tea and play a few games with family. Great way to end the day!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
HamptonInnShoreview, Manager at Best Western Plus St. Paul North/Shoreview, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

We are so happy to hear that you have chosen our location to meet your family when you are in the area. Our breakfast area really is a great place for family and friends to relax and unwind any time of day. Hope to see you next time you're in town.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I selected Hampton Inn in Shoreview, MN for my 'combination' trip at the turn of the month of June. The location of the hotel is excellent, it is not far from the medical facility I had an appointment at and also close to the Rosedale Shopping Center where we spent our family weekend. The hotel atmosphere is excellent and peaceful, with adjacent Green Mill Restaurant providing great value. I hope to return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
HamptonInnShoreview, Manager at Best Western Plus St. Paul North/Shoreview, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

It's great to hear that our location fit your needs so well. Thank you for commenting on your experience. We look forward to the next time you return.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We truly enjoyed our time in Mpls,St.Paul this weekend. The staff was great as usual and we are very happy with the consistent service and comfortable, affordable rooms. Really enjoy the Green Mill Restaurant connected to the property.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
HamptonInnShoreview, Manager at Best Western Plus St. Paul North/Shoreview, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

We are glad you returned and had another great stay with us. I will be sure to share your review with the staff at both the Hampton and the Green Mill. Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here when moving our daughter home from college. The staff was courteous and room was clean which is usually my #1 priority. The location was great right by a Target and Trader joes. The breakfast was ok but fine because it was free. We have stayed at the Hilton garden Inn next door before and thought this was just as nice!

Room Tip: We stayed in a 2nd floor room right by the side entrance which was very handy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for a nice review! I'm glad the staff could make your stay enjoyable. The Hilton Garden Inn is a great property. We are flattered to be compared and measure up to their high standards. We hope to see you again in the fall when school is back in session.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We recently returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel. Normally we wouldn't stay at a hotel without an elevator, but the location was good for us, so we decided to put up with lugging our suitcases up the flight of stairs in order to get the top floor. We did get a quiet room in the back, so we did not hear any road noises. They were completely booked insofar as double Queens, so we got the King with a sofa bed. This was one of the smallest rooms we have ever had in a Hampton Inn. It was cozy and clean. The bathroom was also small, but we appreciated the heat lamp and the large counter top. The bed(s) were very good. But what the heck is going on with their housekeeping department? One day they skipped us entirely! Just never showed up. We were gone all day and when we returned at 5 PM, it was obvious they had never come at all. The front desk person seemed surprised and so, when we went out to dinner a bit later, she did send someone to change towels and empty wastebaskets. I was surprised because we had left a tip the day before. Then, the following day, between 9:00-9:30 AM, we were getting ready to depart for the day, and had put out the "do not disturb" sign. My husband had gone down to the lobby for something and I was in the bathroom. When he returned, we found a note under the door saying that since we had the "do not disturb" sign out, they wouldn't be doing a housekeeping service for us that day. Now, every other hotel that we have ever been in does checkouts first and then daily services later in the day. So I never expected them to get to us that early. In other hotels,if they've been cleaning on our floor when we've had the sign up, they've always come back later to see if the "do not disturb" sign is gone, which ours would have been 20 minutes later! In that case, my husband took our dirty towels and went down the hall and exchanged them for clean, but that's not my point. My point is.. no other hotels have ever done that to my knowledge, so I really have to wonder about their policy concerning housekeeping. Regarding the breakfast: It is certainly adequate. Not exceptional. The problem is - they have meetings right across from the breakfast room and when there are meetings going on in the mornings (which happened several of the days we were there), the breakfast room was a chaotic mess. People attending meetings were wandering in to get coffee and helping themselves to pastries, etc and we could barely move, much less get to the food. So, while this Hampton Inn has some positive aspects, it does not live up to other Hampton Inns we have stayed at and we were disappointed.

Room Tip: Around back by the "woods" is very quiet. Top floor requires climbing steps, but if that i...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HamptonInnShoreview, Manager at Best Western Plus St. Paul North/Shoreview, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. The housekeeping issues you shared are definitely not the norm and something I will be addressing with our staff today. You should be able to expect daily housekeeping and yes the staff should return to your room later in the day to see if you have removed your "do not disturb" sign before they leave you a note. I assure you this will be remedied immediately. It is good to know that other things about your stay were positive. Yes the breakfast and meeting area can be a really busy place some mornings. I'm sorry you had to fight for space. Please be assured that we will be reviewing some options to see what we can do to prevent future issues like this. Thank you for your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shoreview
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis St. Paul-Shoreview
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Shoreview
Homewood Suites Minneapolis - New Brighton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Roseville, MN
Hampton Inn Minneapolis Roseville
Holiday Inn Express Roseville - St Paul

Been to Best Western Plus St. Paul North/Shoreview? Share your experiences!