“Pet & bike friendly”
Review of IMA Mariner Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Silver Bay
IMA Mariner Motel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Silver Bay
Helsinki, Finland
“Pet & bike friendly”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Most motels in the surroundings were fully booked due to several parallel events at the weekend and then we found this place. We paid 85USD + tax for two adults and three small dogs which was not the cheapest motel we found but it was still acceptable. The room was spacious and clean, the shower worked well, we had a big window front towards the street which we liked. There was coffee available for breakfast and the room had cable TV and free fast Wifi. Plenty of ATV folks around.
Motel would be a good place for day trips into the various parks and heritage sites in the area.
The owner was indeed grumpy and not very small-talk oriented. That was ok for us maybe a bit harder to swallow for North Americans.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sauerkraut-Tofuwurst

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Had a wonderful nights sleep at the Mariner Motel. The proprietor was direct and didn't waste any time, but he was pleasant overall. The price was $65 and change for 2 beds and 2 adults. If I paid cash it would have been cheaper. We slept well, the room was huge, and overall we were very happy with our stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank OnwardAdventure
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just booked our room for our 4th stay here. It is a great location for 4-wheeling, enjoying the North shore, taking part in the Beaver Bay / Silver Bay Day Events and spending time with our families and friends. There is a group of us that stay here every year at least once and always have a great time. The owner can be cantankerous but we have found him to be interesting and have gotten used to the gruff exterior and even get him to smile from time to time. :-) The rooms are spacious, quaint and the kitchenette room we always stay in with the kids works great for all of us. Looking forward to our stay in July!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Beth L
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Many hotels in north shore require two-day reservation (Fri+Sat), and this one doesn't. I booked this motel one day before my trip in early October. The service guy has a heavy accent and loud voice when he spoke, but the service is ok. I got 10~15% discount with AAA membership with ~$60/night for one-bed, which is quite economic at that time. The cabin room was clean. One thing need to mention is that the back windows were open (for air circulation?) and you better close them when you sleep for sound proof and safety. I got there around 7pm, and I have to drive ~6 mins for food, which is ok.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
minneapolis mn
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This is a classic up-north motel. It's a great value. The rooms are spacious, clean and very well cared for. It has a north woods feel with solid pine paneling. The beds are very comfortable, which is my primary concern when staying at a motel.

It is true that the "old man" can be surly, but I also found him to be very helpful. I would also prefer a self-service ice machine, but ice can be obtained at the office. I like getting the discount for paying cash.

I will be staying here on future visits to the North Shore.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Yankton, South Dakota
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband & I were traveling the North Shore Highway on our harley it was that time of the day to start looking for a place to stay---we found this motel the Mariner in Sliver Bay. We were met by an older Gentelman. I asked if he had any rooms available his arm went in the air What you want you want a suite one bed two bed use your brain I know not what you want. I asked to see the room getting more insulst he yet gave me the key to room 22 ( my husband telling him I'm pickey) so knowing we may not find another place to stay I looked nice,clean ,no air conditioner, fan we stayed. Price at 60.00 cash 65.00 with credit card ended being 68.00 with tax 71.42 what,I would have loved to tell him where to go to make business you need to be FRIENDLY . another thought asked do you have ice NO but here you are you need more come see me WHAT???

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marlene B
Plymouth, MN-
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I was surprised to find that the claim I had read on trip advisor, about the old man being very rude was true. When I asked if he had two rooms available, he first asked me to use my brain and let him know how many beds and for how many people I need a room. After he quoted me a price for the room I told him I was continuing on further along the north shore and would see, that I wasn't ready to commit to staying there. His attitude was the reason. He then lectured me on how to properly ask about accomodation. After simply biting my tongue and saying "m" to each of his statements he called me (deleted) and told me to get out. As a reached my car he came out a side door and yelled at me, using profanity and saying "How do you know I won't shoot you or make your tires flat?"

This was all too much to believe, but when I went up the road to the gas station and encountered a local police officer, I told him about my experience with the guy. The police officer wasn't surprised and said that such problems and complaints about the guy are a regular occurance.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Grand Superior Lodge
Grand Superior Lodge
#2 of 6 in Two Harbors
Superior Ridge Resort Motel

Been to IMA Mariner Motel? Share your experiences!