“Disappointing”

Prinknash Bird And Deer Park
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Cranham
More attraction details
Owner description: The Bird Park is a small park set in a natural Cotswold Valley so there are "hills" as detailed on our web page. There is a stunning new visitor centre where you can buy light refreshments, toys, gifts and wonderful views of the park from extensive balconies. Courses, lectures and events are held here. The park's ideal for families with toddlers as it's not too large and the birds are "free", they are friendly and will come up to you if you are afraid of birds then this is not the place for you as, the birds are free inquisitive and feed from your hand as do the fallow deer and pygmy goats and the miniature donkeys are there in the summer months. There's a huge collection of peafowl, pheasant and a comprehensive collection of waterfowl from around the world, these are not your common or garden ducks. There are follies for the children to play in especially the Wendy House where you will always find toys inside for the children to play with. Bird Food can be purchased on arrival, which is great fun. Again fi you are afraid of birds then perhaps this is not the park for you. In the summer the Kookaburras are flown at noon, subject to weather. This is a casual and very natural park where you can get close to the birds and animals, with lakes, walking and a true outside feel to it so if your looking for an Alton Towers or a Lego Land attraction then again we are not for you. Yes the birds are free, yes there are hills, yes there are gates and yes it is natural. If you want to get out and be with nature then we will look forward to seeing you and you will love the park.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Visited whilst staying in the area , was disappointed with what we did see but restoration was taking place when we visited.
The garden was very small and we wrongly thought we may have been able to visit the monastry.
There is a large car park and a nice cafe area.
Did not visit the Bird area so cannot comment.

1  Thank Bert J
togohoudini, Owner at Prinknash Bird And Deer Park, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

You have posted your review on The Bird Park page. You clearly state that you did not visit The Bird Park - please can you remove your review. As we have a stunning park and is anything but disappointing but I do understand why you would think that the monastic garden was. Thanks.

All reviews
in 73 reviews
"tame"
in 44 reviews

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

First and foremost thanks you so much to the staff and owner of this Park, it is beautiful, well kept, surrounding and views amazing, animals and birds so friendly, it was a pleasure to be up close with them. The actual park is spotless as are all the animals and birds habitats. All the staff and owner were polite, and there to answer any questions or to have a friendly chat. The Wendy house is lovely, I'm 60 and went in it. Perfect for children. Can't say how much I loved the place and will be back soon. Fab day out. We got there when it opened and left when it closed.
Please DO NOT take any notice of any bad reviews as they are a load if vindictive RUBBISH. Please take your children here in the holidays they will love it. Good luck for the future and new cafe etc. thanks Melanie Meigh for the best day.

2  Thank ronniespencer634
togohoudini, Owner at Prinknash Bird And Deer Park, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Many many thanks for taking the effort to post your review, it makes a massive difference to us all that visitors love what we do and our approach to wildlife. We are totally passionate about our birds being free, engaged and interested in their visitors and the pleasure for us is seeing the pleasure it gives you. We have suffered from malicious reviews in the past but understanding the local area explains that and the new visitor centre has, regardless to local opposition been built and it will be super for "our" visitors to enjoy. So we will look forward to seeing you there later in the year and hope that a following review will be as good. Thanks again M

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I had a most enjoyable first visit to the park yesterday afternoon.

There was ample free parking (donation invited) followed by a short 2 minute walk down a gentle slope to the ticket cabin where the staff were friendly and welcoming.

The park is larger than I imagined with very many bird species to see, most of whom are roaming freely. I was accosted by a tapping beak as soon as I entered and a rather stunning peacock strutted by insisting on showing me his proud display. It's clear they are very used to visitors and approach visitors freely, probably hoping for some of the food sold from dispensers around the park. I didn't feed them and eventually they wandered off in search of a more generous soul.

It was a joy to see and mingle amongst the deer while the reindeer were a real treat and the highlight of my visit, especially after a very disappointing visit to the Cairngorm reindeer centre last month. Here, the reindeer family group with delightful young twins, were energetically bounding around their enclosure but also stopped for a photo shoot.

I wasn't sure about the design or appropriateness of the follies although I'm sure young children will enjoy the charm of the Wendy house which I squeezed myself into and found a variety of soft toys inside - a thoughtful little house for little people.

The park is not and does not pretend to be Disneyland, thankfully. Signing is more 'home-made' complete with a few spelling errors, giving the impression of small-scale family business which is informal, friendly and welcoming. Throughout the park there were maintenance workers giving some indication of the effort and investment needed to run such a venture, and one that is probably under-marketed, under-promoted and I feel it under-sells itself. This is something of an undiscovered gem and with the new impressive-looking Visitor Centre due to open in August, I think it's going to get even better and I'm keenly looking forward to returning when it's complete, particularly as it overlooks the reindeer!

For anyone looking for an informal and unhurried outing amongst lots of birds and some wildlife then this offers good value for money in a very uncommercialised setting rarely found today. My visit was for just a few hours but could have easily stayed longer making it good value for money - and even the drinks and ice creams weren't over-priced, a rare find amongst visitor attractions!

3  Thank kangooroo-campervan
togohoudini, Owner at Prinknash Bird And Deer Park, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Many thanks for coming to our Teddy Bears Picnic and that Kate on the gate remembered that it was a Birthday treat for your daughter with her friends and were thrilled that they enjoyed their day so much. They were totally delightful and we enjoyed having them, they looked lovely with their frocks on and their painted faces. They collected peacock feathers, entered into the spirit of the park and in turn had a great day. We have been hosting these events for many years now and we really enjoy seeing families having such a lovely time. It's a very special place to have a party. Thanks for coming.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Very disappointed with this - expensive to get in for what is there and the place is in dire need of a facelift - the reindeers looked ill the male had a cough and the other has lost nearly all its fur - sure they must shed but it looked tired and listless - did not seem to be much shade and for an animal that it says can run 45 miles per hour - well it has little room to run 2 miles an hour - I know it is supposed to be under construction but in the meantime the water is stagnent and it does say they like to swim - the duck ponds were dirty and smelly and there seems to be no water fountains to breathe any life into them - the grounds were covered in bird droppings and i just felt sorry for them - these animals need attention and even if there is not much money regular cleaning would really improve the place - would not recomend to anyone maybe not conected but the Abbey gardens are a disgrace - they need to pay someone not rely on community prisoners

5  Thank Julie G
togohoudini, Owner at Prinknash Bird And Deer Park, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

The Reindeer enclosure has a "clear" notification on it stating that it is under refurbishment and there have been contractors working in this area since the start of June so it is evident that works are underway and your comments are inaccurate. The Reindeer do loose their fur in the summer months. They are sprayed daily as is their housing but like horses they do get bothered by horseflies when it's hot and we have had a hot spell but they are monitored by our vet. We are a Bird & Deer Park the birds are free the park is spotless, paths are blown daily, there is an army of cleaners and if you have questions about the park there are plenty of staff around who you could speak to to explain any questions that you may like to ask. The Reindeer enclosure should re-open within the next 5 - 6 weeks and we are pleased with the new layout The New Visitor Centre will be opening in 6 - 8 weeks. I can not comment on the Monastic Garden as this is nothing to do with The Bird Park.