“Our favorite B & B!”

Ranked #5 of 10 Stillwater B&B and Inns
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Our favorite B & B!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Our kids gave us a nite here for our 40th anniversary and it was the perfect gift. We loved being welcomed to the lovely Jane Austen room by NPR's classical music. The three-course breakfast was fabulous with a delicious fruit/fiber muffin (including gluten-free for me), a maple-custard baked oatmeal and a healthy and tasty veggie/egg/sausage hash. It was best breakfast we've ever had at a B & B and we've stayed at several throughout the US and abroad. We also had a wonderful dinner at Domincin Wine Bar, just a few blocks away in historic Stillwater.

Room Tip: If you prefer a shower, be sure to request a room with one as many, including the Jane Austen room...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Park Rapids, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed in the Agatha Christie suite which was amazingly decorated with a huge whirlpool and separate bathroom with huge shower. The evening snacks and wine were delicious and breakfast was a gourmet feast. The staff is friendly. A lot of attention went into every aspect--the home, grounds, food. Great place to stay!

Room Tip: If you get a chance stay in the Agatha Christie suite. It's often booked and expensive but wonde...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Appleton, Minnesota
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Wilde suite during our stay for one night. The suite is gorgeous and even has a steam shower. Skylight above the large whirlpool tub. Two fireplaces. Interesting corner bed. Very cozy.
But the breakfast.....oh man....the breakfast I need to google some better words for 'amazing, delicious, beautiful' it was hands down the absolute best breakfast I've ever had. I've had breakfast in Italy and other amazing places but this place is #1 in my book. The menu changes daily. Strawberry ginger juice and fresh orange. I can't remember all of the courses but the bran muffin made with local organic ingredients I would have paid $10 for. Did I mention I don't like bran muffins? This was out of this universe. I will include pictures of the pear poached in blush wine and the strata on asparagus and another sauce I can't remember. Lick my plate amazing. The chef comes out and tells about each course. I understand he also teaches cooking classes as well. If he had a restaurant I would eat there every day.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Svoxland
Rice Lake, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We did a last minute stay here and it was a great surprise. Walking distance from downtown Stillwater, the house is BEAUTIFUL, I mean amazing. You don't have to love architecture to appreciate the hard work that went into Rivertown Inn. The staff is great and the Chef was outstanding! My hubby has a food allergy that I noted before we checked in, they took care of him at breakfast without so much as a whisper. We'll stay here again in a heartbeat.

Do not skip breakfast, the best I've had at any B&B!

Room Tip: Heads up if you like your shower in the morning- take note of the room you book, not all have shower...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
New Prague, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I have been here three times now, each time a wonderful experience. Our goal is to stay in each room. Make sure to take advantage of the nightly social hour, good wine and great appetizers in a relaxed atmosphere for everyone that stays there. Breakfast is served each morning by a professional chef who gives great detail into the preparation and ingredients of each course. In a word, the food is fantastic. And staying in the city of Stillwater only adds to the experience.

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to try any room regardless of size, they are each very unique.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Saint Croix Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 March 2014

First visit to the Rivertown Inn!! I would highly encourage a stay here! The Longfellow Suite was comfortable, romantic and very elegant. The details were everywhere, music playing, very comfortable bedding, home was user friendly, decor was exquisite. This home is filled with antiques and breathtaking stained glass, but yet it makes you feel so welcomed and cozy. Larry our host checked us in and was wonderful! The social hour is above and beyond anything I have ever experienced at a B&B!! Wine and scrumptious Chef Ray treats. Whatever else you do, do not miss the social hour. The breakfast.....WOW, AMAZING, SPECTACULAR! Chef Ray did an outstanding job. The presentation, food introductions and then taste....HEAVEN!!! I will be taking one of his cooking classes in the near future!! I can not wait to return this summer. I want to experience morning coffee on the porch and strolling through the gardens. I found absolutely nothing negative about staying here. I prefer B&B's and have stayed at quite a few over the years and the Rivertown Inn is now on the top of that list! Thank you for such a relaxing time!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sleepy Hollow, NY
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed in the wonderful Browning suite on our most recent visit. I am looking forward to staying in ALL of these wonderful author themed rooms. This elegant, romantic and very special Inn is a real gem. The bed is incredibly comfortable and the room details are fun, thoughtful and encourage curling up with a great book - which are conveniently in the shelves. The room radio is set to NPR classical which we enjoyed so much we kept it on most of the time. There is a large Jacuzzi bath which was a rare treat and wonderful bath gels and such. Larry was an excellent and welcoming host and extremely helpful with thoughtful restaurant recommendations and fascinating details about the house and the marvelous antiques within. There is a nice social hour with good wines and outstanding nibbles. Breakfast is amazing - gourmet chef Ray is wonderful and his incredible courses breakfast is one of the reasons we returned. My husband is gluten free and another guest is vegan and accommodations were made. The presentation is spectacular but the real prize is the delicious and mostly local food. We lingered on the porch rocking chairs after breakfast before check out. The first day over 30 degrees in many months. We very much look forward to returning in better weather because the gazebo and gardens look like a great place to enjoy this fabulous Inn- but there isn't a better place to be cozy indoors. It's not far from home but feels very far away indeed. We very much look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EllySleepyHollow_NY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stillwater
Water Street Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Hudson
Royal Inn - Hudson
Royal Inn - Hudson
#3 of 8 in Hudson

Been to Rivertown Inn? Share your experiences!