“It's not a nice place.”
Review of Lowell Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stillwater
Lowell Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Stillwater
Atlanta, Georgia
“It's not a nice place.”
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I was in Stillwater for a business meeting. The place is filled with tired and dusty "Victorian" styles/finishing. The lobby smells and sometimes that smell is like a horse barn. There is never anyone attending the bar. Breakfast doesn't start until 8am, if at all. The staff is accommodating at best, definitely not pleasant or welcoming. I paid over $200 for a group rate? I can stay at a 4 star for that in the cities. There are 2 "wings". One looks to be new construction and is decorated/finished the complete opposite of ancient "wing". The common portion: a KEY! Yes, a true key to get in all rooms. Ok, I can get past that, but on to my room: I was given a double bed room, even though I requested one bed. Every metal color you can imagine is in the room: gold, chrome, nickel, and bronze. The is gloss black lacquer trimmed in feaux lizard/alligator trim. I had a flat screen TV. Yay, right? No. It only has local channels (think TV rabbit ears). No cable. The alternative seating is cheap brown vinyl. Not comfortable for working on the computer at the "desk". My room looked out on the roof of the first floor, an air conditioning unit, and the public parking garage. The beds are mattresses only, they are so soft, they are not comfortable. I didnt rate it terrible, as I felt my room was clean.
Now other things that bothered me. The hall to the new "wing" feels like something out of "The Shining". The entrance from the lobby to the stairs is so low, I have to duck (I'm 6'0"). The wallpaper is visibly peeling in some places. The carpet is loose in places. I would repeat some of the comments from my co-workers, but that is only hearsay. I will summarize by saying, we all travel extensively and are not happy here.
I suggest trying another, more modern location in Stillwater.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank yardhippie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed at the Lowell Inn this past weekend for my Birthday. Upon check-in we were informed that the room we had reserved was no longer available. We needed a room with two beds and had reserved a deluxe room with a murphy bed. There were no rooms left so we ended up having to put two roll-away beds together to make a suitable bed for two adults. We were very misinformed about the rooms and hotel as a whole. Basically everything we were told was an exaggeration.I would never stay there again. Not worth the money!! Also the breakfast was not very good. You would be better off going to a Perkins!! Very disappointed!!

Room Tip: I guess double check that you are getting the room you reserved.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Katie P

Travellers are raving about these Stillwater hotels

Two Harbors, MN
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I stayed at the Lowell for one night for business. I was in a room on the third floor in the "contemporary" wing - wow, was it comfortable! King size bed (with a matress and bedding that reminded me of Ikea) that was heaven, the decor was very contemporary, clean, lots of light and space, large bathroom, and a little balcony. My co-worker was in a historic room - and she wasn't raving about the comfort (or her pink bathroom) - so I would recommend asking for the contemporary wing! The hotel's location was very convenient to downtown's shopping and restaurants, and I'd also recommend the little trolly bus tour of Stillwater - it was surprisingly enjoyable!

Room Tip: Ask for a contemporary room
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank C&CCav
Midwest
Reviewed 4 August 2011

In booking a room for a friend's wedding, I found the last available room at the Lowell Inn. A bit pricier than I was hoping, I snatched it up and was ever so glad I did. Stepping into this hotel is stepping into a time warp. Don't let the musty smell in the entrance scare you off, my room was void of any such smell. In checking in at the front counter I was told that rose pedals clogged the pipes running from the jacuzzi the night before (they cleared it out that morning) and that I was to avoid doing the same. I jokingly said "no Mr. Bubbles then, eh" but they were serious in responding with a no. What? really? Did I take a mark off from my rating for this insane answer to my question? Yes. Did I still bring out Mr. Bubbles later that night? Yes. Did I clog up the pipes? Of course not.

An aside: I ran into an extremely nice lady employed to clean the rooms. She told me a bit of the history of the place and also mentioned the room next to mine was visited by Liberace back in the day. The victorian frills of this place would have matched him well.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank K2500
Andover, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Rented room for Sunday night of Lumberjack Days celebration. Parking available in city ramp which is attached to building. Was told that the $10 parking fee would be waived with the hotel validation, which I got, but was not accepted by machine when I left. Went back into hotel & was told that they would request reimbursement for me from the city. We'll see. Third floor room, but hotel doesn't have an elevator. Can enter parking ramp & take elevator to floor, but elevator doesn't work. Room decor was "masculine", meaning brown (various shades of brown). Nothing like the hotel lobby area which gives you the impression that you're in for a treat once you get to your room. Not quite. Not sure what they were trying to say with the oversize shower (no tub) that was done in a large "rock" motiff. Brown tile on floor, beige utilitarian shower curtain, and a wide mirror that was set way too high above the sink for a 5'3" woman. Bathroom lights were set in 9 foot ceiling which allows navigating but inadequate for trying to put on makeup. TV remote didn't work but channel choices were limited so didn't bother watching any tv. Could not get internet access for laptop. All in all, not sure what makes this room worth the fee. Also, hotel requires 5 days notice of a cancellation or entire hotel charge is forfeited. With 6 days notice you only lose $30. Most people don't even make reservations with that much notice. Would never venture back to this hotel or Lumberjack Days for that matter. Every vendor in town jacks up their prices for this festival. You would be much better off heading into Wisconsin & checking out the many small town celebrations that pretty much run non-stop all summer.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank JPHoltz
Reviewed 20 July 2011

There is little I can comment on regarding the state of the hotel, as I never actually made it that far! I called the service desk to make a reservation for my wedding night and was met with a snappy woman who immediately put me on hold. Except, she didn't. She must have missed the hold button and I spent about five minutes holding the phone from my hear as I heard her talk with someone on another line. My call was then answered. Except, it wasn't. I was immediately put on hold again for several minutes. Finally, my call was actually answered and I was able to say an entire sentence before being put on hold. I casually mentioned that I did not know if I was speaking to the same woman anymore and was told in a nasty tone that "it happens" and that I would just have to "deal with it.:" There were a couple silent and awkward moments of silence while I tried to digest this, before I ended the call. I'm actually pretty darn disappointed as I had really looked forward to staying here! Hopefully this was just an isolated incident by an overworked employee, but reading other reviews has me unsure. The customer service at this hotel definitely influenced my decision to spend my money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Klang011
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Lowell Inn after our wedding in Minneapolis for two nights. We loved the location, character and charm of the place. We stayed in the honeymoon suite, which included a Jacuzzi tub in room. As mentioned in the title, the only negative was the musty smell, which you were able to get used to after a few minutes. If they would do something regarding the smell, I'd up to 4/5. We ate fondue in the restaurant the first night, which we both loved. We also had the breakfast, which was good, traditional breakfast. Parking was validated in the public parking ramp next door. They all have a new addition which would be worth checking out if you aren't looking to spend as much, as the rooms are cheaper, have a balcony and certainly don't have the smell of the older rooms.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eazydp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stillwater
Water Street Inn
Downtown
W Minneapolis - The Foshay
W Minneapolis - The Foshay
#11 of 49 in Minneapolis

Been to Lowell Inn? Share your experiences!