“Very nice effort, let down by details”
Review of Lowell Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stillwater
Lowell Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Stillwater
Colbert, Washington
“Very nice effort, let down by details”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I spent four nights at the Lowell Inn while attending a classic car meet in Stilwater.
The lobby was fine, staff courteous though through a mix-up I had to wait for my room well into the late afternoon.
I used the stairs to get to the 3rd floor, I'm sure there is an elevator but I never bothered to use it as the stairways are wide and gradual.

The room itself was fine, very ornate in the French style. The bed was great. Wide and comfortable.

My room had a shower stall bath just off the main room. The stall was modern and functional, though it might be too small those of wide girth. The sink was styled on a clamshell mounted on a pedestal with gold platted faucets. Very ornate. I told a friend it looked like a place a French "lady of the evening" would have lived circa 1914. Now, that comment was made in jest, but you get the idea. It was better suited to a honeymoon couple than a solo guy in town to look at old cars.

Being an old building, AC was accomplished via a window mounted unit. Though small, it proved to be up to the job and was quiet enough. The hotel does have a newer addition which I'd assume has built in AC, so if you might want to ask for that if you're fussy.

I had trouble with getting hot water into the sink for shaving, I had to let the water run for an extended period.

My main complaint about the place has to do with something simple...the quality of the towels.
They were Old and thin. The quality reminded me of those I used in college or the military. Not only were they thin, they had seen better days. Really, the ones I use to dry my cars are nicer. In fact, a few days later I stayed at a Best Western in Wyoming with nicer, fluffier towels.
For a hotel trying hard to give a premium experience, it was a glaring letdown.

The rom was very clean and service seemed to be fine. The flat screen TV was also excellent.

I didn't have a large meal in the restaurant, but it seemed to be popular with locals. You can dine either in the main room or outside. It's on a quiet street, so traffic isn't a problem.
Also, another plus is the hotel is adjacent to the new city-built parking garage, so guest parking isn't a problem. Guests get a special code so they can enter the hotel from the structure. Parking is included with your room. The garage is well patrolled by city police.

It's conveniently located, two (very) short blocks from the downtown area. If you don't have to be within sight of the river, it's a perfect location since you're away from crowds and traffic.

Room Tip: I like my east facing room. Though street-facing, it was still very quiet. Stillwater isn't exac...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank John B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

An experience to remember. We stayed in the honeymoon suite and the lights kept turning off and on. I got freaked out, so we turned on the tv to ground ourselves. Shortly after the closed caption popped on by itself. I turned it off about 5 times before we deemed it haunted by a deaf ghost. Creepy, but I love a good ghost story.

Stayed September 2013
6 Thank Tanya W
Minnesota Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was a little hesitant to book a room at this hotel, but we wanted to be close to downtown Stillwater. I was not disappointed. The staff was friendly, even overly friendly some mornings. The rooms were decent, nothing exceptional. This is not a modern hotel, so don't feel like it should be. It was great walking around Stillwater and having the hotel so close. If you are going to spend hours in your hotel room-don't go here. This hotel is a great starting place to explore all of what Stillwater has to offer. We enjoyed our stay and will go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nate831
Waconia, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 August 2014

At a wedding reception in my sons recovered alcoholic of two years. He is the groom. They refused to allow us to bring nonalcohol beer in for him. He insisted on charging a $12 corkage fee per bottle. Clearly they do not support recovered alcoholics here. Is the worst customer service I've ever seen in my entire life. There is no way I would ever come back to this establishment. They brought up the fact that it's in the contract. However you would think that they would at least serve nonalcohol beer. However they choose to ignore the fact that people are alcoholics. It failed make any concession whatsoever for these people

• Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Orvildog

Travellers are raving about these Stillwater hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I was absolutly appalled. NEVER have I been to an establishment where the staff treated their guests so poorly. It was as if the staff was far superior from their customer.

We planned a wedding reception for my family members from out of state. We thought historic Lowell Inn would be a perfect venue and, not mention, is in beautiful Stillwater, MN. Side note: We are from the metro area and have dined at many local high end establishments for various occasions; so I am not speaking from inexperience. In fact, the hospitality of a higher end establishment tends to be excellent with their concern for their well paying customer. We'll lets just say it was pretty vacant for a Saturday afternoon in July. Now I know why.

We reserved the private garden room for this event and had the four course fondue. Aside from the lack of attentiveness from our servers, which I can sometimes sympathize with since I have some years of experience working as a server, it was disgusting how rude EVERY employee was. When I asked about changing my baby (since the bathrooms don't have changing tables) she sent me to their storage room with no lights; that was interesting. This was the front desk staff whom also got impatient with me borrowing their pencil for 10 min (needed to write the infants schedule for grandma since she would be taking her for the evening). And yes there was a whole cup of pencils where that one came from. Might I remind you they are dead so she has nothing better to do but monitor her pencil borrower and nag if I was almost done.

I feel I must add one more small story from the many we have to remember for the rest of our lives. (Seriously this place will go down in he books of worst experience ever!). This one just made us all laugh...
So the server storms over to snap about our fondue fork being too close to the unlit oil pot which really had a good foot in space between the two. Funniest part was the lit candle cheese/chocolate pots that were paced right next the unlit oil pot were not a threat. But oh we'll we politely apologize and avoided the smart comment that we're itching to come out.

We basically finished our four course meal as fast as possible so we could leave the spirit dampening staff and enjoy the rest of our celebration elsewhere.

I would definitely agree the interior needed an uplift too. Muted pink 1x1 in the bathroom screams 80s not historic not quite renaissance period the hotel evokes. There's one place to start but the rooms also I heard need the help. The newly weds ended up bunking back at our uncles house.

Also
Not the cheapest place and the food did not compliment the prices. It was basic and average.

I suppose it is hard to make updates to the place when you don't have customers. You need to make some serious changes starting with the hospitality department. It disgraces Minnesota.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else; a red roof inn might even exceed them
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Lindsey P
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had our annual family get-together at the Lowell Inn July 18-20, 2014, booking 6 rooms for 12 women. Most of the rooms were in the original section and were really charming, quirky and fun rooms. I stayed in room 204 in the newly annexed section and while entirely acceptable, it was a disappointment as the décor was so non descript and generic. It completely lacked the charm and warmth of the rooms in the original section. The mini blinds on the windows fail to block out the morning light and the transom windows at the top are completely uncovered. Don't expect to sleep in as this room faces east and was filled with light as soon as the sun came up! Another design flaw was the bathroom. The shower head is placed so high on the wall, I couldn't reach it. I had to stand on tip-toes to put the soap back on the lowest shelf of the wire rack in the shower! Additionally, the AC is very noisy in that room.

Breakfast service in the hotel restaurant begins at 8:00 AM, which is rather late. An hour earlier would be more reasonable.

Again, the rooms in the original section are each uniquely decorated, spacious and have a quirky character. We enjoyed hanging out in those and, if I were to visit the Lowell Inn in the future, I'd stay in one of those rooms and avoid the modern ones.

Room Tip: Rooms in the newly annexed section are generic rooms. You're paying for historic charm and gett...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Inver Grove Heights
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We have stayed here a number of times and we enjoy this hotel. Yes it is on the older side, but they do have some modern rooms, I would rather say it has character. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are quiet. The last one had a curtained bathroom, but that was ok, it did not bother us. The best thing about the hotel is the location, it is within walking distance of downtown and you can leave you car in the ramp next door. We have had breakfast there before and it was very good, we will stay here again.

Room Tip: We like the rooms that face ut the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kevin T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stillwater
Water Street Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Hudson
Royal Inn - Hudson
Royal Inn - Hudson
#3 of 8 in Hudson

Been to Lowell Inn? Share your experiences!