“Fresh Pasta and Attentive Service make Marx a Winner!”

Marx Wine Bar and Grill
Ranked #3 of 108 Restaurants in Stillwater
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 22 June 2018

Enjoyed lunch on the patio with parents and grandchild this summer and food was exceptional. We ordered two pasta dishes, spaghetti with Italian sausage in red sause and linguini with pork tenderloin in coconut cumin sauce. Both were tasty and I will make the trip back to Stillwater to order the linguini again. Also had a white pizza that had a perfectly charred crust and nice toppings. Our server was friendly and we will stop for dinner next time we are in town. Don't forget to stroll through the quaint shops of Stillwater and walk along the St. Croix River!

Reviewed 7 June 2018

Our first visit to Marx was on a Friday and it was fabulous. We had great wait staff and the food was amazing, And then two weeks past and my husband and I were in Stillwater. We stopped on a Wednesday. We counted at least 6 wait staff working - only four tables and yet we waited to be served at the bar for 15 minutes. Odd. But we chalked it up to an unusual experience. So the next night we decide to have dinner at Marx. Again very few people there and plenty of wait staff. Our waiter seemed a little rough but we chalked it up to inexperience. Unfortunately that is how our whole evening went. Little attention and poor service which is too bad because the food is good. We ordered dessert to go and waited 20 minutes. Our waiter never checked on the status of our dessert even though at this point there were only two tables filled. Then the unforgivable happen - our "to go" boxes had not been clipped shut the bag was a complete mess and the desserts had to be thrown away CARE LESS mistakes!!!!

The food is very good here and I feel bad for the chefs as they must work hard and take care in their work, but with the wait staff that is presently there - the wait staff will be the kiss of death for these talented chefs.

Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

Had the special blackened chicken special. Mashed potatoes were there perfect compliment. Loved the local beers. Best lunch I've had in a while.

Reviewed 6 May 2018

We dined at Marx last Friday night on the recommendation of a local business owner. It was a good experience overall, but we were left feeling a little disappointed.
We arrived at about 7pm and were promptly seated. The service was friendly and prompt and we were impressed at our servers ability to recall all the many components of the several seafood specials.
We enjoyed the walleye dumplings, we were expecting an Asian type of dumpling in a wrapper and these more closely resembled a hush puppy of sorts, but they were very tasty. My husband had the shrimp coconut soup which he thought was a little sweet, I thought it was very good. My endive and beet salad was good and nicely dressed with lots of ingredients.
Our disappointment arose with the specials. I had the surf and turf trio, everything was well prepared, but there were just too many components on the plate! Steak with bordelaise and an onion ring, two kinds of fish plus a tuna garnish, garlic mashed potato, sweet potato purée and a vegetable mix with asparagus, snow peas, zucchini, red peppers and olives. Just a bit much, a little editing would have helped or even using two plates. The price was $45 dollars, a little bit of a shock, but my fault for not asking.
My husband had blackened whitefish with basmati rice and garnished with a crab cake. Again nicely cooked but lacking a touch of heat or acid which really would have helped, and too many and varied random vegetables. At $40 dollars, it seems like a lot, considering that the most expensive item on the regular menus was $28.

Reviewed 2 May 2018

We stopped in on a Sunday evening, seated right away, served quickly, and they have large portions but split one serving for us into two plates..(that way we had room for dessert) Linguini was excellent.