“Best weekend ever...”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Tofte
Burnsville, Minnesota
“Best weekend ever...”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I have been staying at the Bluefin family resorts for a number of years now. I stayed the at Surfside for the first time last year I believe it was and was impressed. I had always stayed at Bluefin before.

So when I wanted to plan a special trip with my boyfriend I knew right where we should go. We stayed in a lakeside master suite with a jacuzzi and a fireplace that also had a microwave and a refrigerator and dishes. It was so wonderful to wake up and look out and see the lake. We brought my tiny dog and it was perfect to let her out the patio door too.

We both agreed that it was the most perfect romantic weekend ever. It was cold and rainy outside but it didn't matter - it was cozy inside. This was our first trip together and it will be one of our best memories. We've decided it is "our" place now and will definitely be back. Hopefully next time will be in the summer and we can stay longer. :-) ♥

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank april b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Minnesota
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I have been to Surfside many times but this time in the winter. The beautiful lake looks totally different at this time of year with awesome ice chunks and deer in our yard in the morning. The massage and facial were spectacular and so relaxing. The food and people were so friendly and helpful. Wish I could take the beds with me so I could sleep that well at home too. Can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank NatureLoverMinnesota
Waseca, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in December in a two bedroom with the family. Typically have stayed closer to two harbors but stumbled upon this property online. View from 15 was amazing. We took the free shuttle to Lutsen mountains and also checked out free snowshoes from the lodge. We really enjoyed it and can't wait to come back again.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank northshorejm
New Brighton, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We arrived late on a Thursday night and the check in to our unit 14A/B was flawless. The lady who helped us get settled was very nice. The layout of the place is unique with an open loft on the second floor. This is a pet friendly unit. I have reviewed many properties and am always straight forward with my comments. The only thing we had issues with is the overly soft bed. We stayed three nights and ate in for breakfast and lunch. A full kitchen allows for that. We had supper delivered both from Coho Cafe and Bluefin Grill. The delivery person didn't mind bringing us food on a cold night. We were happy with the food from each place. Some of the family took advantage of the free snowshoes and cross country skis. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cindy6074
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Was just a wonderful place and experience. Will definently be back. We stayed in a master suite at Surfside. Unvelieveble view and service. The room with fireplace and hot tub and was wonderful. Could not of asked for a better weekend.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank bskortint
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My wife had wanted to stay at Surfside or Bluefin Bay for quite some time and we found it convenient in September to do so. It's a strange affair, as you book through Bluefin but check in at Surfiside. When we arrived mistakenly at Bluefin, the young lady at the counter asked us "May I help you", without making eye contact and in a tone that inferred "Did you need directions, because you certainly couldn't be staying here". The young lady at Surfside was much friendlier. We had a downstairs/walkout room, which I strongly recommend against. The room was decent, and the view was nice, but you are DEFINITELY on display if you have the blinds open to view the lake. Honestly, why wouldn't you have the blinds open with the lake right there. Lots of traffic walking within a few feet. The room itself is decent with a nice kitchenette. The whirlpool tub faces the lake, but it's in front of the wall of windows where people walk right by, and frankly neither of us felt comfortable getting in their for fear we would be mistaken of the level of privacy we had. There are 3 floors, lower/walkout to lake, main/1 floor up balcony, and top floor. I would recommend the upper 2 floors and steer clear of the lowest level. They have nice little kitchens and decent bathrooms. I will probably stay somewhere else next time, but mostly because I like variety.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Montyd72
BluefinGM, General Manager at Surfside on Lake Superior, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you for your input. Based on yours and one other comment, we have decided to change the landscaping in front of the lower level suites at Surfside to solve the privacy problem. We will slope the grade down and away from the lakeside windows by several feed so that the lawn area where other guests can walk is far enough below and away from the windows so they will not be able to look inside. We have scheduled this work for late April. In the mean time there is so much snow all around the buildings so no one can walk in front of them anywhere close to the whirlpool windows. We appreciate your constructive input and hope to have you as our guests again.
Crystal, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 28 October 2013

this was our second stay at Surfside, I absolutly love the rooms and views, and being able to bring my little yorkie was the pinicle of my expierience, our first visit, in 2011 I would give a 5 star rating, but this visit, although we all did have a good time there were several flaws in our stay, fist thing we noriced was when we came in the sink was just filthy, the kitchen sink and the downstairs bathroom faucet dripped, the vacume job on the floor left alot to be desired, my sister who has cat alergies spent a good part of her time vacuming to relieve her symptoms, more disapointing was the pool amenities, we all enjoyed the pool and hot tub so much on our last visit, it was quiet and relaxing and beautiful, this year the pool water was so cold it was impossible to swim in, and the hot tub was so hot none of us could stay in it more then 30 mins, we felt like boiled chickens, so I called the next day and they said they would have matienence look into it, but that night, it was still to cold in the pool and 2 hot in the hot tub, so again i called, and the next morning a person from maitenince came to our door and told us they checked the temps and they were acording to MN health codes..........well I say shame on them.....lies!
I was tempted to go to the local grocer and get a food themomator and test that pool myself!
on the whole I really do love it there, but they really need to shape up on thier cleaning and maitenince crews

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tofte
Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Tofte - Lake Superior
Best Western Plus Superior Inn & Suites
East Bay Suites
East Bay Suites
#3 of 10 in Grand Marais
Caribou Highlands Lodge
The Cliff Dweller on Lake Superior

Been to Surfside on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!