“Disappointed”

Price range: US$7 - US$45
Cuisines: American
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Flavors as big and bold as the view! Experience the Bluefin Grille's sophisticated yet casual atmosphere while savoring the most breathtaking views available on the North Shore. Along with scenery, you'll enjoy spectacular regionally inspired cuisine.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My son and I visited this restaurant last week for dinner after a long day of outdoor exploring. By the time we arrived it was 8:30 pm and we were concerned we would not have time to eat before closing. Upon entering I asked the hostess if we had time to eat still, she obviously heard me, and she just grabbed two menus and started walking to a table. She didn't even speak to us. Our waitress was okay, but not great. We each ordered the walleye dinner, subbed mashed potatoes for the rice, and it came with a vegetable. I will just say that the walleye, which was AVERAGE at best (little or no seasoning, but cooked fine) was the only decent part of the meal. The potatoes were like flavorless paste, there was supposed to be a caper/dill relish with the fish, which was just a sweet/tangy green glob. I actually did not recognize a vegetable. They were Brussels sprouts, but they must have been BOILED, because they looked darn near white, and I honestly thought they were cloves of garlic. They tasted weirdly tangy, mustardy, I don't really know. All I do know is that all the waitress was talking about was their P.O.S. system was down. She was telling everyone in the room that if they wanted to pay with a card, they would have to wait a LOOOONNNNG time and that they could charge the meal to their room for convenience. (We were not staying at the hotel.) So, we had to pay cash because we just wanted to get the heck out of there. Subsequently, we paid $60 for two walleye dinners and two waters that we needed to beg for refills. To be honest, we should have just went to the Holiday gas station and spent $10 on snacks and skipped dinner. I am not one for writing disparaging reviews, but I have never felt so ripped off for a meal. I feel honesty is the best policy, so I hope that other people who have high food standards see this, because I would sure avoid eating here. We pretty much flushed $60 down the toilet.

BluefinGM, Manager at Bluefin Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Carol,
I am so sorry to hear about your experience last weekend. I would like to apologize and let you know that you unfortunately joined us on a night that we had some technical difficulties that rather stressed our systems. This in no way excuses the poor service and food your received though.
We strive to serve excellent food and place a strong emphasis on service so it is very disappointing that we were not able to provide that for you. We will be reviewing our procedures that we have in place during challenging times so that guests will not be affected in the future.
Although receiving negative feedback is never fun we appreciate you letting us know how we can improve. I would like to encourage you to return again and give us a chance to show you how we usually operate. Please feel free to contact me directly through the resort if you would like to discuss this in more detail.

James Taylor - Food and Beverage Director

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The food is unique and wonderful. The view of the Lake while you eat is also stunning. If you haven't yet had fresh Lake Trout and Whitefish, this is the place to order it, too. The desserts are complementary and a perfect end to a perfect meal. And, oh yes, the servers are terrific.

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

We were staying a mile away at Surfside on Lake Superior and, since it was during April, many places were closed. We opted to have dinner here twice and found the service and food to be excellent. The cheese plate is a really lovely starter that is big enough to be a whole light meal with a good glass of wine. The views of the lake are gorgeous.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Four of us had different fish dinners that ranged from a salad with shrimp, shrimp dinner, Canadian Walleye sandwich and a salmon dinner. All four meals were excellent. We also shared a wonderful cheese plate along with a wine specifically blended for the restaurant.

After dinner one couple ordered a homemade chocolate chip cookie cooked in a cast iron skillet topped with ice cream and sauce. They had it before but were less impressed this time as the cookie wasn’t cooked through.

Reviewed 21 February 2018

There are only a few places to eat in the Tofte/Lutsen area, the Bluefin Grill is good and I do recommend the restaurant. The service as good, food was good, view from the restaurant is awesome; all in all it was a great place to eat after a day skiing.

Been to Bluefin Grille? Share your experiences!