“Amazing Wedding”

Superior Shores Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Reviewed 27 July 2007

My husband and I had our wedding at Superior Shores on July 7, 2007. Everyone at the resort is extremely helpful. Becky is the event coordinator. I, probably, had a total of a million questions through out the planning process of the wedding and she answered everyone kindly and effeciently. One thing I will say if you are planning a wedding at Superior Shores, they tell you you have the Ballroom for the whole weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) but don't assume you will be the only wedding at the resort on that Saturday. They do use the resturant for smaller receptions. We had three ceremonies (including ours) at the resort that day. This was the busiest wedding day in quite some time though. The do frequently have two on the same day though.
As far as the rooms and guest service goes, I didn't hear of any problems. I moved around rooms the three nights we were there and the only thing we came across was that the set of townhomes that my parents were in didn't have air conditioning in them. Be aware of this when you book a townhome. Air Conditioning isn't needed in this area often but if it does get hot some don't have air conditioning.
Just a comment about those complaining of the resort tax and lodging fee. These fees are used state wide in Minnesota. There is a 4% resort tax in any resort in the State as well as a lodging fee that can vary by county or city. They do mention these fees and what percentage they are when you are viewing room descriptions and rates.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank mariesammy7
There are newer reviews for Superior Shores Resort

Reviewed 5 February 2007

We were there in July and we had a great time.Nightly we would go to the shore and have a fire and visit with other guests. We would search for agates on the shore.The service was great.During the day we would make trips into the Duluth area to see the sights.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank Coyoteee
Reviewed 14 December 2006

We went to the lakehomes for our Thanksgiving. We didn't have any hot water for a three days we were there. They offered to move us (quite a distance with a lot of stuff) on the last night, but we were checking out early and it was already 8:00 p.m. They didn't offer any discount or compensation for our inconvenience. I wouldn't go back through the hotel. I might go with the company that has taken over renting most of the lakehomes now. They have a lot more units to select from and the hotel just seems to be focused on the hotel property and the 6 lakehomes they are renting. Unacceptable. No showers, no hot tub, no dishwashing, etc., for Thanksgiving. Happy to be home!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank athena22
Reviewed 9 December 2006

My girlfriend and I put in a bid on a Gales of November package on our local papers online auction website and got the stay for $330. We received a two night stay and $60 in food vouchers. We planned on going November 10th as that's the day they light Split Rock Lighthouses light in honor of the Edmund Fitzgerald but I had just gotten out of the hospital after a four day stay and we called on the 10th to reschedule, we were very surprised that it would be no problem. We went on December 1st and found the room to be excellent, hot tub, a gas fireplace in the bedroom and living room, a fully stocked kitchen, and a patio with a grill and partial view of the lake. We stopped in the bar on Friday to find it all to ourselves for 45 minutes, and there was no one in the restaurant. We were there during the period between fall lovers and Ski season. Breakfast on Saturday morning was good and we ordered dinner on Saturday evening and brought it to the room. Probably would eat in town if we didn't get the vouchers, just average food for the price. We've been up to the area 3 times now and always in winter, keep telling ourselves to do it in summer, but there's so many other things we like to do then. The whole north shore is beautiful and we hope someday to make it up there during the summer.

Stayed: December 2006
Reviewed 14 November 2006

We stayed in a ground floor lodge unit. It was nice, but there was really no view of the lake. It was too low. It is a beautiful resort. We ate in the dining room and had a very nice meal. My wife and I had a very enjoyable time walking the grounds. The units separate from the main lodge have beautiful views of the lake. If you can afford it, I would recommend that you stay in a town home. They are set in the woods and are a long way from the highway. It was a very enjoyable stay. I would recommend it to anyone. I didn't rate it as excellent because the information on the web site didn't tell me that the first floor does not have a view of the lake.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank MauiJim1
Reviewed 17 August 2006

This place was outstanding! My husband took me here for our 4th wedding anniversary and it was great! Our view is what I imagined it to be and more. The small bar upstairs was phenominal and the service was even better!

We'll be returning again for sure.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank babysnowman
Reviewed 11 August 2006

Having stayed at the Lutsen Resort the previous two nights, this place was mostly disappointing. No planned acitivities, just the typical swimming pools. The lakefront could be nice, but they don't even have chairs available on the beach! I'm no genius, but they should've called the place a Holiday Inn Express!!! We stayed in the Burlington condos which were new, clean, and had a nice view of the lake, but that's it. Had I been able to cancel my reservation without sacrificing my deposit I would've. Funny thing is their advertising says the only thing they overlook is the lake. I'd say the only thing they overlook is everything it takes to qualify as a "resort". Bypass this place in favor of other lodging just down the road or in nearby Lutsen or Grand Marais.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors
Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior

Been to Superior Shores Resort? Share your experiences!