“Nice lake resort”

Grand Superior Lodge
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I plan our trips far in advance and got the Early Bird special even though we stayed here in late June. Included in the $89 rate for an upstairs room in a cabin was a $25 credit at the restaurant.The room was woodsy cute and had a huge clean bathroom.The manager came by as we were starting to eat-all was good- to see if everything was OK.You make your own S'mores at a firepit outside every evening-great north woods dessert. We didn't use the pool area which is inside.This is cheaper and much more luxurious than alot of cabins people rent but you can't cook full meals here as there is only a coffee pot ,microwave and refrigerator in the kitchenette.We would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 September 2011

We stayed at Grand Superior Lodge in mid-October ... thinking that we may have missed most of the good fall color that you see along the north shore. However, not only were we pleasantly surprised that some of that color held on, BUT, little did we know how fantastic the stay at Grand Superior would be!
Upon check-in, we got settled into our 1 bedroom suite with a LakeView and then headed back to the Lodge to check out the football game that was on in the bar. The appetizers and drinks were great, even if our team lost!
Dinner at Splashing Rock was fantastic both nights - Exec Chef Dan and his crew go above and beyond to ensure that your meal is fantastic. The wine pairings were great and the pace of the meal was just to our liking...
Spent a chilly & damp day exploring Gooseberry Falls which is only a few minute drive down the road, and then returned to the Lodge o pick out some board games to play in front of their roaring fireplace. It was so cozy and comfortable there... a safe harbor from the cold and damp weather outside!
Overall - the accommodations were comfortable, the food great, and all the people we interacted with on their staff fantastic! Given the chance, we will absolutely be returning again soon!

Room Tip: Some rooms on the property allow pets - call when making your reservation if you are interested in t...
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I was a part of wedding at Grand Superior this past weekend, and the service and rooms were underwhelming. Multiple guests who were staying at the lodge had various complaints. One guest didn't have a.c. (when she inquired about it she was told "Well, we don't advertise that we have a.c., so it's not a guarantee). The phone didn't work in one of the guest rooms "which was going to be looked at "....which never was. The beds are not comfortable. It's hit or miss whether the front desk staff will be friendly or have patience for you, some are nice - some are not. In one suite there was a hide-a-bed, and I don't think they would've had such a crappy mattress in a Motel 6. Not only was it not made, AND the bar was sticking up, the entire thing was at uneven (with the foot of the mattress being inches higher than the head of the bed) - literally making it impossible to sleep on. As a hotel all around, it is not worth the price. It may have been good once, but it just seems like they do the bare minimum to maintain the rooms. It's a gorgeous view of Lake Superior, a great shoreline, and the foods not bad - so maybe check out their restaurant - but don't waste your money staying here, let alone for their two-night minimum.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sewinggirl216
Reviewed 28 August 2011

My boyfriend and I wanted a nice weekend away. I choose the Grand Superior Lodge and I am so happy I did. We got a Lake Side Suite with a queen side bed and hot tub. The view from the room was just amazing. I could not have asked for more. The room was clean. The staff at check in and check out were very nice and helpful. We did not eat at the restaurant thou. We had smores one night at the community camp fire, and then went down long the beach to have one just the two of us.

We also went to Gooseberry Falls, Spilt Rock Light House, and spent a day in Canal Park. We felt the trip was well worth it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We were on a 5 day mission to find a great family place to go to summer and winter along the North Shore. My wife got a "room with a lake view" and it turned out to be a small side window with a view of nothing. We were in room 103 and after a long drive we wanted a nice quiet afternoon nap. Well the door downstaris to the buildings laundry facality had no shock to slow it down and was constantly slamming. It was a loud boom that shook the whole floor. My wife was very upset and called the front desk. The girl was very nice in setting us up in one of the lake homes to get away form the noise. We moved again to a couples suite,but it only sleeps two. We had our two kids 12 and 10. I called the front desk and the ajoining room with a queen and twin was given to us at no charge by Megan the front desk manager at the time. She did the right thing and I was very happy with her understanding and unsurpassed level of customer service. The next day while my wife was in the room and I was swimming with the kids the general manager Andrew stopped by. The room had a down stairs door and the rooms upstairs had there own keys. Since we had the whole top floor we had the doors open to let the cool lake breeze thru since the room had no A/C. The manager I am posative was aware we had both rooms ,but proceded to enter the main door with out knocking and entered the room my wife was in with out presenting himself first. He wanted to see if we liked the significant upgrade we had gotten. My wife got a wierd vib from him about what he really wanted. This was very creepy and uncalled for in my book. I think he could have called or at least knocked before entering. When I confronted him about this he stated that the main door was a "No knock,common entry door". Yea, if the rooms were occupied by two different families I could see that being the case because they would most likley have both upstairs doors closed. But that was not the case. Very unprofessional and uncalled for. He seemed very upset that we got both rooms for a fraction of the cost. He of course smiled and said that is what they do to take care of the guest. I know he wanted to say something different and I wish he would have. A good start was ruined by an idiot looking at his bottom line instead at the big picture. Go to Superior Shores instead. This where we will be going from now on.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank TimeTraveler1219
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The lodge is right on the shore of Lake Superior between Two Harbors and Beaver Bay; and, you just can't beat the view. The lodge is approximately 2 miles from Gooseberry Falls State Park, home of several waterfalls, hiking trails and the Gitchi-Gami bike trail. You can pick up the bike trail here and ride to Split Rock Lighthouse State Park approximately 8 hilly miles one way or on to Beaver Bay if you are really ambitious. We stayed in a lake view king suite and loved it. The suite was very roomy and included a balcony, fireplace, whirlpool tub, fridge and coffeemaker. Our suite was exactly as pictured on the website. The lodge has a northwoods atmosphere, a restaurant overlooking the lake, a great "backyard" with flowers, an official firepit and flat rocks right on the lake for sunning or impromptu fires. If you plan to use the swimming pool, it is indoor and a little small. Bikes and canoes are available for guests' use. The staff here were friendly and helpful. Although the Splashing Rock restaurant has great pizza, they don't advertise it on their menu; so ask about it. They also have a decent selection of wines. The restaurant tends to be a little slow and laid back as are others in this area so don't expect speedy service (but, you are after all on vacation). The only thing I could suggest as an improvement would be a little table on the room balcony between the two chairs to hold my wineglass as I relax looking out on the lake!

Room Tip: Spend the extra $ for lake view; well worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Been here many times, got engaged here and married here! Great place for vacation, recreation, family time, romance, great views, everything. Highly recommended wedding destination, right on the lake!!! We hope to be here yearly at least!
The honeymoon suite is amazing!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Silver Bay
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors

Been to Grand Superior Lodge? Share your experiences!