“FOUR WONDERFUL NIGHTS!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Roseau
“FOUR WONDERFUL NIGHTS!”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Although we had dined at the Splashing Rock two times before, and did so again this trip, this was a first time experiencing a room We had a Lakeview room with two double beds on the second floor. The elevator made it easy going in and out.
Staff was polite and helpful. Room was clean, quiet and comfortable. We were enjoying ndthe "Jack Frost" special which meant a good rate and included a twenty-five dollar gift card. We used the card when we dined in the Splashing Rock restaurant, but culd also have used it in the Gift Shop
Appreciated having access to a computer in the lobby. We were able to check weather and road conditions before heading back to our northwestern Minnesota home.
Will definitely choose to stay here again, and gladly recommend Grand Superior Lodge to all.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louis H
GrandSuperiorLodge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We are delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for the kind feedback! It is wonderful to hear from our valued repeat customers and appreciate your continued patronage. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Grand Superior Lodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Soon to be Medford
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed at Grand Superior Lodge with 3 other couples for a 3 day snowmobiling trip. They were running a great deal, stay 2 nights, get the third free!! Can't beat that. There was a big storm coming and we had to head there early to beat the storm. We arrived around 10am and they were great to deal with and allowed us early check in.
Rooms: We stayed 2 couples in each room. We had the Courtyard 1 bedroom suit with 2 queen beds in the main lodge. Perfect for 2 couples. The bedroom has a sink and mirror in it. This makes life easier for two women in the same room. Room was clean and beds were very comfy, or we were so exhausted from sledding that they seemed that way. ;-) (Oddly, we only had housekeeping come once. Not a big deal) The room has a fridge, coffee pot, microwave, tv, dvd. If you bring your own coffee, bring small filters for a 4 cup pot, otherwise they will get more coffee for you at the front desk.
Staff: Overall, everyone was very friendly. Front desk was very helpful and always had a smile on their face. The manager seemed to be there 24 hours a day, she was very nice.
Lodge: The main lodge is nice and cozy. Fire place with an area to sit right as you come in the front door. Stone and knotty pine decor. Typical lodge style. They have DVD's that you can borrow and free snow shoe rentals as well. The view of the Lake is amazing.
Splashing Rock: We ate there twice. Breakfast-The waitress was sweet but a bit forgetful. She wasn't the fastest or the best however, I have had worse. I will take a slow waitress over a rude one any day!! I had the smoked salmon on a bagel. The smoked salmon was AMAZING!! Dinner-Our dinner waitress was a blast. She was very witty and outgoing. We had all 8 of us there after a long day of sledding and she handled all of us well. The food was really good. Again, I had the salmon however; I had at least one bite of everyone's. I highly suggest the salmon, trout and walleye!!
Pool/spa: After 90 miles of riding in one day it was awesome to be able to go sit in their hot tub. We were expecting it to be packed since they were at 80% capacity for the lodge....it was empty!! The hot tub is HUGE!! A few people came in and out but, most of the time we were there, it was just our group.
Snowmobiling-The trail was beautiful. They got about 10 inches of fresh powder our first night there. The lodge is right on a trail that leads you to The North Shore Trail. You have to go about 20 miles by trail to the closest stop, which is Dixies. Make sure to hit The Tressle Inn. That is about 40 miles away. Great riding trail!!
Overall we really enjoyed our trip and do recommend Grand Superior Lodge.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for spending the time to give us a kind feedback on your recent stay. It was nice to read that you found the location of our resort and its access to the snowmobile trail met your expectations and that you noticed our friendly and helpful staff. Certainly we have passed this on to our employees. Again, we thank you for your wonderful review and we look forward to serving you in the near future.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We have stayed here a few times before and loved it each time, it's absolutely beautiful!
I had talked with my husband today about making reservations within the next couple weeks so we could check out the Blu Ice Bar and do some snowshoeing. I checked out the room rates this afternoon and found there was a special for the Blu Ice Bar that was 20% off and a $25 gift certificate to Splashing Rock Restaurant good through March 1, 2014, I thought it was a great deal! To my disappointment, I got home to talk it over with my husband and checked out their specials again to find that the Blu Ice Bar special had been removed from the website. I then called the lodge and asked the receptionist about it and was told that if it's no longer on the website that means corporate pulled it due to high occupancy and we wouldn't be able to get that special. No disrespect to the lodge because I think it's a great place but I'm very disappointed that the special was just pulled from the website 3 weeks before it had stated on the website.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HD3KK
GrandSuperiorLodge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you for your recent visit with us at Grand Superior Lodge. We do apologize that you were unable to take advantage of our Ice Bar Package this year. The package itself is built around our booking occupancy and a disclaimer on the bottom line on each of our specials states, "this special may be discontinued without notice." Since the special had been discontinued the night before you called we were happy to offer you the specials discounted rate however, we could not offer the dining card due to the special being discontinued.
We thank you for your interest in our resort and look forward to accommodating you in the future. Our specials are posted for the most part six months out so for future reservations, take advantage of the specials as soon as possible.

Warmest Regards,

Faribault, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

We spent a great weekend at the lodge. This is a great lodge and we have really enjoyed our stay. We had a standard lake view room with two queen beds. The pool area was nice and the hot tub was huge but the pool was kind of small bit still very nice. My only complaint was the construction they were doing on the ground floor where the pool is located and the only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5. I wish we had more options for dinning outside the hotel but overall it was an awesome stay.

Stayed February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review following your recent stay with us at Grand Superior Lodge. We do apologize for the construction taking place on our newly remodeled ballroom during your visit. We recognize this may be an issue and construction is to be completed by March 1st.
We hope to welcome you back in the not to distant future. Perhaps during our summer months when we will have our complimentary canoes and bikes along with fire pits along the shore of Lake Superior.

Warmest Regards,

Burnsville, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed at the lodge for my close friends wedding on New Year's Eve. We arrived in -13degree weather at 8:30 in the evening with two very young and very tired children.
Immediately we were not impressed by the size of our room. It was tiny! Not only was it cold outside but our room was cold as well. The room couldn't have been much over 55degrees. When my husband called the office about this he was spoken to as if he were a child and never used a thermostat before. They finally agreed to address the problem. We had to call the front desk two more times because by 10pm I was huddled under all the bedding with our 8 week old baby and our two year old son. The maintenance man finally came in at 11pm to check our thermostat and did indeed work through the night to fix the heat.

The next morning I went to open the shade on the one window facing beautiful Lake Superior and it was broken. We finally propped the shade open so we could enjoy some of the beautiful lake view.

Also our room was never visited by a cleaning crew or maid service. We stayed two nights and filled the tiny trash cans in the bathroom and living spaces. They were never emptied during our stay. The toilet paper, towels, and tissues were never replenished and we had to go to the front desk to get them!

Later my friend informed me that she had numerous problems with the planning of her wedding and communication with the lodge. They forgot to reserve her bridal suite for the wedding night!

Finally upon check out we mentioned all the problems with our stay and were offered nothing. Not a discount, not a free stay, nothing more than a very weak apology. The service and the price of this lodge definitely do not match. Our room was $220 a night and we got bargain basement service!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank PrincessFooFoo
GrandSuperiorLodge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your response following your recent stay with back in December. I am sorry that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. I am glad that maintenance was able to resolve the heating issue to allow you and your family to sleep peacefully.

As to the daily housekeeping, this is presented to every one of our guests on their confirmation letter that you would have received. "To ensure a most relaxing and enjoyable vacation, we strive to interrupt our guests as little as possible; thus we do not provide daily
housekeeping service to our town homes and cabins. We have supplied each unit with an adequate number of towels. If you would like additional cleaning services we have a listing of services available in our guest service directory and at the front desk." This was also printed on the back of your registration card that you signed upon arrival as well as on the welcome letter presented to you at check in.

Again we do apologize for the unfortunate circumstances and lack of clarification following your stay with us.

Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I just returned yesterday from an incredible weekend at the Grand Superior Lodge, and I really am so sad to have had to leave. Grand Superior is a beautiful rustic resort perfectly located just a quick 10 minute drive away from Two Harbors (good for groceries and other needs), 5 minutes from Split Rock Lighthouse, 15 minutes from Gooseberry Falls State Park and about 40 minutes from Tettegouche State Park. Having visited the other resort near Two Harbors (Superior Shores) for dinner, I am SO happy we picked to stay at Grand Superior, because it had a much more charming feel to it, beautifully and tastefully decorated, where as Superior Shores was not at all my style - decked out to the max in hunting spoils, moose heads and taxidermy animals everywhere (blegh). We had a lakeside suite for 3 nights right next to the lodge and the view just couldn't be beat - I woke up every morning in time to catch the sunrise and the steam off Lake Superior and kept our window open every night (despite -20 temperatures) to hear the waves crash as we fell asleep. The room was very well heated (and the flannel blankets super cozy) to the point where our window was halfway open and it never got chilly. The jacuzzi in the room was one of the nicest parts of the trip too - I felt so spoiled!! One night, we stopped at the grocery store in Two Harbors and picked up some strawberries, chocolate dipping sauce and champagne to have by the jacuzzi and blazing fireplace, while watching a movie (which you can check-out at the front desk w/ complimentary popcorn!) and it made for a very romantic night in. We thought the Splashing Rock Restaurant was delicious too, I ordered the Apple Brie Chicken and my girlfriend got the Fettuccini Alfredo with drunken duck bites added as a side - we were both very happy! Sometimes there is a bit of a wait on Saturday nights, but we used that as an excuse to make some s'mores out by the campfire and grab a drink at the Ice Bar, which was great fun. We both got one hour relaxation massages too which were enjoyable - I had never had a professional one before, so I can't rank quality, but I definitely felt great after. Other than the fantastic resort grounds - take advantage of all of the amazing activities around you! My main disappointment was that I didn't think to call far enough in advance to book a dog sled experience - I would recommend booking it about two weeks ahead to make sure you get a spot, as there aren't as many companies near Two Harbors as there are by Lutsen and Ely. Also enjoy the daylight at the three beautiful state parks nearby which have great views year round! I bought a MN State Parks Passport & Hiking Club kit at the Gooseberry Falls Visitor Center and had so much fun filling it up while I was there, and am looking forward to so many State Park adventures now. The hikes and scenery up at the Northshore State Parks though are hard to beat. If you're in Two Harbors, be sure to grab breakfast (or at least a pie to-go that will last you all weekend) at Betty's Pies, also there is a small little drive thru coffee hut that I'm blanking on it's name but the chai tea was to die for, and I recommend everyone grab a cup during their visit!

With all that said, I was immensely happy with my stay. Everyone at the front desk was very friendly and accommodating. However, my only complaints were the slow/lack of maintenance and cleaning services. We had a minor problem with our window that we reported our first day and they promised maintenance would arrive in a few hours, but they never showed the whole weekend. It wasn't something serious that affected our enjoyment - we more just reported it to let them know that the window crank had some damage to it, but still we noted that there was no response. I also don't know if this is part of the "leaving you alone for a private romantic weekend" but there was no room cleaning service the whole weekend which surprised me. It didn't upset me like it has some others on this page, as we had plenty of towels to last us and didn't make a mess, but it would have been nice to come home to a cleaner room each day. Overall - if you're in Two Harbors, stay here. I will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so glad you found us to be above average and recommendation worthy. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Beaumont, TX
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is a wonderful resort on the north shore with beautiful rooms and plenty to do (even in the winter months). They have a great selection of free movies to watch, the pool area is really nice, and the views can't be beat!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Silver Bay
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors

Been to Grand Superior Lodge? Share your experiences!