“COMFY & COZY”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Reviewed 10 April 2014

For eight years we had celebrated my wife's birthday in Hawaii. Then the next two were in Winnipeg, Manitoba. When I casually remarked that it seemed time to try something, and someplace, different, a family member suggested the North Shore. So reservations for four nights were made at the Grand Superior Lodge. We were on the second floor, in a very comfortable and cozy room, facing Lake Superior - our view was of a vast frozen over Lake that looked beautiful in moonlight. We would highly recommend this Lodge
We drove into Duluth to watch a grandson play basketball; enjoyed area restaurants, including the dining room of this Lodge; my wife got to do some snowshoeing and even squeezed in an eight mile long dogsled ride.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
GrandSuperiorLodge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us at Grand Superior Lodge. We were overjoyed to read your positive remarks and were glad you were able to enjoy the amenities onsite as well as offsite that we offer. We may not be able to provide the year long weather that Hawaii has to offer but hope to welcome you back in the not to distant future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Our family goes up to Grand Superior Lodge each year for a weekend, compliments of my parents. It's always a great time! The view is great, the kitchen is stocked with anything you need (plate, bowls, pans, etc..) It's warm, cozy and relaxing. In the past, we always get the 4 bedroom unit on the very end. Which we have never had problems with. This time, they had us in the 430 unit, even though we did request our normal unit, and there were a few hiccups. The main floor bedroom didn't have heat, so when I woke up Saturday morning FREEZING. Maintenance came while we were out at dinner and claimed there were 3 windows open (we never opened the windows, why would they be open?), but when it happened again the next night, I had to wonder. There were spider webs and a spider in the towels by the jacuzzi tub in the main floor bedroom. And I found a web in the kitchen too. Gross. In the main level bedroom, the jacuzzi tub is by the window and the curtains were shut but bubbling open (and I wanted to take a bath in private) so I tried adjust the curtains and the whole unit came crashing down on me, along with a bunch of dust in my face. It took us 10 minutes to get it back up cuz the one side was goofy. The wifi was spotty. The coffee pot would randomly shut off. When we came back from dinner Sat night, the water wasn't working, so we went to call the front desk to find out the phones weren't working. So I called on my cell phone and they explained they were working on it. The water went off again early the next morning. Again, great place, great view, cozy, relaxing, but this time was just a fluke. With the price my parents spent for the weekend, it seems like some of these hiccups shouldn't happen.

We ate dinner at the Rustic Inn down the road and we all had excellent meals. The Wild Rice Meatloaf was the BEST! And the ribs and burgers were great too.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NatAnn14
GrandSuperiorLodge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

We are sorry that your experience at Grand Superior Lodge did not meet the expectations of your previous visits. We are currently in the midst of completing Spring Cleaning on all of our units on property to ensure that all rooms are deep cleaned from ceiling to floor in order to enhance the cleanliness of all our homes, cabins and rooms. Furthermore, we have had a passed the messages on to our housekeeping and maintenance teams and they are in the midst of rechecking all appliances in units and also undergoing a more strict inspection routine; to be enforced by all members of the departments to keep any unwanted visitors away (spiders). We would also like to apologize for the spotting of the WIFI and we have been in talks with our provider to try and eliminate the unpredictability of the service that has been provided, however, due to our location this may not be something that can be completely solved. We do have a complimentary computer in our library which has a wired connection.

We really hope this stay does not deter any future stays here at Grand Superior Lodge, and we look forward to welcoming you for an 8th year!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed in King suite lakeside. The room was fantastic, the hot tub worked great and the service in bar was excellent, the chef was kind enough to make me a Caesar salad after the 9:00 pm close.. And the snowmobile trails are across the street.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank You for taking the time to write such a positive review after your stay here at Grand Superior Lodge. We really enjoy hearing about guest experiences which surpass expectations, furthermore, we are glad you had such a delightful dining experience at 'Splashing Rock Restaurant'.

We hope to see you again in the near future and hopefully you can head out on the snowmobile trails before the snow has completely melted.

Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

After reading some poor reviews, I was worried I had made a bad choice for our spring vacation. This was definitely not the case! We rented a two bedroom lake log home, and were astounded by the space! I absolutely loved the log walls and "north woodsy" decor. The hotel does not have wifi which I liked (it made us "unplug") but you should be aware of that, since I think it advertises wifi. Pool are was okay, but it had a great view of the lake. I would definitely say this resort has the best views of the lake I've found in a resort so far!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank emmythebear
GrandSuperiorLodge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time you write your response following your recent stay with us at Grand Superior Lodge. We are glad that you were able to formulate for yourself a great experience rather than relying on the reviews of others. We hope that we can welcome you back in the not to distant future and truly thank you for your patronage.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

In reading the various reviews on this spot before we went we really didn't know what to expect because the reviews were all over the place. We chanced it anyway and were not disappointed. I guess it's all in what you expect. We stayed in one of the cozy little cabins #506 and loved every minute of it. Granted there was nowhere to hang clothes but on hooks, but we didn't care. The spa bath tub in the bedroom worked fine and we sure liked that item. The kitchen was well stocked with utensils and cookware. The big stone fireplace (wood) was blazing continuously and they were happy to keep up supplied with wood upon request. The front desk personnel was very friendly. There is a restaurant in the main lodge. The food was fair, but we hit either a tired waitress or just not too good of a one. Other than that, we loved the solitude, the quiet, and the cozy quarters,

Room Tip: If you want more solitude a cabin is the trick.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our property. We really appreciate the positive comments and the kind words. Our staff work very hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and satisfied with their stay. We look forward to your next visit to Grand Superior Lodge and want you to know that we truly value your business.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Our room, a two room suite, in the lodge was spacious and clean. There was plenty of space and the location was mostly quiet.
Good things were the comfortable bed, lots of windows, well stocked bathroom and robes (even though we didn't use them). There is a big jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, a nice shower and plenty of counter space. The small refridgerator and microwave are nice extras. The resort offers movies on DVD to check out to guests. The bar and dining area are clean, pleasant and have great views of Lake Superior. The gas fireplace was on at the flip of a switch.
Not so good - very dusty window shades and no place to hang coats. There is a tiny closet in the bedroom area with barely enough space to hang a couple pairs of pants and shirts so we piled coats (which are needed year round in this area) on the floor. There is only one lamp in the sitting area and it is a 3-way lamp with a 1-way bulb. Barely bright enough for reading and certainly not enough for 2 people to read. There are two TVs - one in the sitting area and one in the bedroom. Neither have much of a selection of stations and the remote controls don't work very well, but watching TV isn't the reason to vising this area.
We had a few meals in the lodge restaurant then gave up on that. The front-of-house staff is so disorganized and/or untrained that it became distracting. Durning one breakfast I think I heard the servers say "I'm sorry" to each nearby table almost every time they stopped. Three different servers came to our table and none of them could remember to refill our coffee. The food is average but needs attention to details. At one dinner I ordered a sandwich, which was good, with a side of their "cooked in house" chips which came half-cooked/chewy/cold. At one breakfast I ordered an omlette and even after asking about the wild rice on the menu, it was completely left off my order. I didn't ask about it because I was afraid I would wait another hour to get my order corrects. The day we left we checked out and went for breakfast down the road. I've worked as a server and know that it is hard work, but I also know that it can be organized so the customers are well servered and happy . . . which leads to more generous tips
Overall I'd say this is a nice place that tries to sell the idea of luxury but what you get is a bit folksy. Arrive with a sense of humor and a big dose of patience and all will be fine.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ReCycle958

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this extensive review of our resort. It was nice to read the postive review and please except our sincere apologies for the poor housekeeping service you had while at our resort. Since your visit we have added a new executive housekeeper and have made waves in the process of inspecting rooms so that issues such as yours will be eliminated.
As for your dining experience, I do apologize for the poor service you received. We are currently undergoing a training program to ensure staff are more knowledgeable with our menu and more confident with customer service.

We look forward to your next stay, and want you to know that we truly value you as a our guest!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Very poor experience here from start to finish. Came for a 5 year anniversary.

Like many places, the focus here is on taking as much of your money as possible while providing you with the cheapest experience. The food quality is extremely poor. Despite advertising great views, the views were very average from the rooms. The rooms are extortionately expensive. The rooms are dirty - we found numerous stains on the toilet and some food from a previous occupant in the room. One night there was shouting outside our room. Despite calling the front desk 3-4 times, nothing was done. Eventually the people outside went to bed but despite promising to help, the front desk staff did nothing. At checkout, the staff had tacked on extra charges that I had to argue to have removed.

Last time I came to the North Shore, I stayed at Blue Fin Bay. Thats where I'm headed next time. This place was probably the worst hotel experience I have ever had and I travel quite a lot.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank jerrywesterby

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments in regards to your stay with us. We are disappointed that you didn't have more positive remarks concerning our property. As a destination resort on the shores of Lake Superior, we pride ourselves on being the closest resort on the North Shore of Lake Superior offering our guests views from 50 feet away from the shoreline. We apologize that you did not feel that you received good value for your money. We spend a great deal of time in comparing prices, adjusting room rates and positioning ourselves in the market, in the most competitive way. I wasn't able to find your reservation so I can only take your word an apologize for not responding to the noise issue sooner and rectifying the issue.
We truly do value you as our guest, and I would be pleased to make your next reservation personally the next time you visit Grand Superior Lodge.

Matt

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Silver Bay
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors

Been to Grand Superior Lodge? Share your experiences!