“Overpriced, poorly maintained, poor staff & management”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Overpriced, poorly maintained, poor staff & management”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We got engaged here, spent our honeymoon here, and decided to make an effort to make an annual trip back. First, the location of this place is great. It can be very peaceful and relaxing, and was during our first 2 trips on non-weekend days. The negatives about all 3 trips are this place is absurdly overpriced, run down, and shabby. We stayed in the same room 3 years in a row, and every year mentioned several maintenance issues. After 3 years not a single issue was fixed including a door that didn't shut or lock properly, and rattled all day and night. Imagine the relaxing night of sleep you'll have when it sounds like someone is trying to get into your room every time the wind blows or someone walks by your room. You can tell the owners of this place aren't investing a dime in maintenance. Honestly, if not for the sentimental value we never would have returned. On our last trip we had the same issues as always with our run down room, but also had several new issues. The heating system was not working so the whole place was 80-90 degrees including our room, we had people partying outside our window until 2 AM every night, our hot tub and shower were full of dead bugs, the mattress was lumpy and uncomfortable, and we generally had a terrible stay. We mentioned all of these concerns to staff, and they did absolutely nothing to address any of them. After spending a ton of money for a long weekend get away we left exhausted, frustrated, and very unsatisfied. We asked the front desk person, a manager, and even higher up managers via email after we returned home what they would do to make it right, but they either did nothing or never responded. I was lukewarm on this place to start with because you’re paying a lot for a run down hotel with a view, but after seeing how they do not address customer concerns or attempt to make things right after they've ruined an expensive weekend I would never recommend this place to anyone. Problems happen, but a decent hotel would attempt to resolve those problems during and after our stay. There are better places to stay up and down the north shore.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel, but if you must stay here try to go during the week. We didn't have probl...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank James C
GrandSuperiorLodge, General Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear James C,
First of all thank you for telling us about your experience that I believe was last September, this is truly the only way we can know how we are doing. Given the timing of your visit I would start by apologizing and say that if you contact me directly at Nick@grandsuperior.com I will work to turn your feelings around. I would like to share some things that I do not want to come across as excuses but merely the facts; I am new but come with over 25 years of leading hotels and resorts so will be putting great effort into ensuring we are providing great value. In my first 30 days here I have heard very positive comments about the facility and the people, directly and via comment cards and places such as Trip Advisor, from nearly all of the guests I have had communication with. Secondly we are investing greatly in our resort as well as ensuring our individual owners are doing the same. Now lastly I would add that we know that we have some work to do on various physical aspects but we do believe we offer good value and will continue to strive to make sure we do so. Thank you!
Nick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Thunder Bay
Reviewed 9 May 2014

First of all, paying premium prices for an overnight stay, we found the mattress substandard.
There wasn't a good comfortable place to sit. The chairs were made to look like tree branches out of a manufactured resin. Fold out couch was an uncomfortable seating arrangement.
Lack of visible recycling and garbage bins, I like to clean up after myself.
Zero clothes closets, no where to put a suitcase. 3 hanger coat rack behind the front door, insufficient for rain gear and out door clothing.
No place to put outdoor footwear. Runners, hiking boots and rain boots were in the way.
Worn out Bar B Que wire brush.
TV speaker rattled at moderate volume.
We moved the coffee table aside to move the couch closer to the fireplace to enjoy the view out the front window.
The cabin should have been built 10 or 15 degrees to the south on property for optimal view.
Stairway to a void space, unbelievable design, waste of space.
Went to the bar Saturday afternoon for a cold one after hiking, no service person. Left after 5 minutes.
Carpet was worn with many burns from fireplace.
Enjoyed having The Bar B Que for grilling.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brian H
Dear Brian H,
Thank you for sharing your feedback about 508 here at Grand Superior Lodge. As the new General Manager I appreciate getting all perspectives as we look for ways to improve. Regarding some of the design comments, such as the direction the building faces we clearly can't change and the space above the living room is used by many owners to lock personal items so this is left to the individual owners to utilize as they see fit although we can make recommendations. Now with regard to the furnishings we are working with owners to ensure things are in good condition so I am reviewing the mattress, carpet and sofa as well as our ability to add some things to make it easier to organize ones things. I understand 3 hooks behind the door are not a lot of space for coats but it is a small one-bedroom cabin so quaint sometimes means not all the comforts of one of our lake homes or larger 2 bedroom cabins. Again thank you for your input and if I can be of any further assistance please contact me directly at nick@grandsuperior.com.
Best wishes,
Nick
Minneapolis
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Just north of Two Harbors and secluded-love the great north woods theme carried out thru the common areas and the rooms. Prices are competitive- off season has some great rates! DIning room is large with great views overlooking the lake walks out to a huge deck. Fun bar too! Been here several times, everything is very clean too! Lodge rooms and townhouse style.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
GrandSuperiorLodge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our property. We thank you for you continued patronage and look forward to welcoming you again in the not to distant future.

Roseau, Minnesota
Reviewed 10 April 2014

For eight years we had celebrated my wife's birthday in Hawaii. Then the next two were in Winnipeg, Manitoba. When I casually remarked that it seemed time to try something, and someplace, different, a family member suggested the North Shore. So reservations for four nights were made at the Grand Superior Lodge. We were on the second floor, in a very comfortable and cozy room, facing Lake Superior - our view was of a vast frozen over Lake that looked beautiful in moonlight. We would highly recommend this Lodge
We drove into Duluth to watch a grandson play basketball; enjoyed area restaurants, including the dining room of this Lodge; my wife got to do some snowshoeing and even squeezed in an eight mile long dogsled ride.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GrandSuperiorLodge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us at Grand Superior Lodge. We were overjoyed to read your positive remarks and were glad you were able to enjoy the amenities onsite as well as offsite that we offer. We may not be able to provide the year long weather that Hawaii has to offer but hope to welcome you back in the not to distant future.

Warmest Regards,

Superior, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Our family goes up to Grand Superior Lodge each year for a weekend, compliments of my parents. It's always a great time! The view is great, the kitchen is stocked with anything you need (plate, bowls, pans, etc..) It's warm, cozy and relaxing. In the past, we always get the 4 bedroom unit on the very end. Which we have never had problems with. This time, they had us in the 430 unit, even though we did request our normal unit, and there were a few hiccups. The main floor bedroom didn't have heat, so when I woke up Saturday morning FREEZING. Maintenance came while we were out at dinner and claimed there were 3 windows open (we never opened the windows, why would they be open?), but when it happened again the next night, I had to wonder. There were spider webs and a spider in the towels by the jacuzzi tub in the main floor bedroom. And I found a web in the kitchen too. Gross. In the main level bedroom, the jacuzzi tub is by the window and the curtains were shut but bubbling open (and I wanted to take a bath in private) so I tried adjust the curtains and the whole unit came crashing down on me, along with a bunch of dust in my face. It took us 10 minutes to get it back up cuz the one side was goofy. The wifi was spotty. The coffee pot would randomly shut off. When we came back from dinner Sat night, the water wasn't working, so we went to call the front desk to find out the phones weren't working. So I called on my cell phone and they explained they were working on it. The water went off again early the next morning. Again, great place, great view, cozy, relaxing, but this time was just a fluke. With the price my parents spent for the weekend, it seems like some of these hiccups shouldn't happen.

We ate dinner at the Rustic Inn down the road and we all had excellent meals. The Wild Rice Meatloaf was the BEST! And the ribs and burgers were great too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank NatAnn14
GrandSuperiorLodge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We are sorry that your experience at Grand Superior Lodge did not meet the expectations of your previous visits. We are currently in the midst of completing Spring Cleaning on all of our units on property to ensure that all rooms are deep cleaned from ceiling to floor in order to enhance the cleanliness of all our homes, cabins and rooms. Furthermore, we have had a passed the messages on to our housekeeping and maintenance teams and they are in the midst of rechecking all appliances in units and also undergoing a more strict inspection routine; to be enforced by all members of the departments to keep any unwanted visitors away (spiders). We would also like to apologize for the spotting of the WIFI and we have been in talks with our provider to try and eliminate the unpredictability of the service that has been provided, however, due to our location this may not be something that can be completely solved. We do have a complimentary computer in our library which has a wired connection.

We really hope this stay does not deter any future stays here at Grand Superior Lodge, and we look forward to welcoming you for an 8th year!

Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed in King suite lakeside. The room was fantastic, the hot tub worked great and the service in bar was excellent, the chef was kind enough to make me a Caesar salad after the 9:00 pm close.. And the snowmobile trails are across the street.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank You for taking the time to write such a positive review after your stay here at Grand Superior Lodge. We really enjoy hearing about guest experiences which surpass expectations, furthermore, we are glad you had such a delightful dining experience at 'Splashing Rock Restaurant'.

We hope to see you again in the near future and hopefully you can head out on the snowmobile trails before the snow has completely melted.

Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

After reading some poor reviews, I was worried I had made a bad choice for our spring vacation. This was definitely not the case! We rented a two bedroom lake log home, and were astounded by the space! I absolutely loved the log walls and "north woodsy" decor. The hotel does not have wifi which I liked (it made us "unplug") but you should be aware of that, since I think it advertises wifi. Pool are was okay, but it had a great view of the lake. I would definitely say this resort has the best views of the lake I've found in a resort so far!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank emmythebear
GrandSuperiorLodge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time you write your response following your recent stay with us at Grand Superior Lodge. We are glad that you were able to formulate for yourself a great experience rather than relying on the reviews of others. We hope that we can welcome you back in the not to distant future and truly thank you for your patronage.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Two Harbors
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Silver Bay
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors

Been to Grand Superior Lodge? Share your experiences!