“I was disappointed and felt mislead.”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Moon Twp PA
“I was disappointed and felt mislead.”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I booked late so I didn't have a lot of options available at a reasonable price.
While I expected to pay more for a room this time of year, I feel I was mislead. The rooms are classified lake view or courtyard view. No lake views were available so I took a courtyard view room. It turned out to be a parking lot view with hwy 61 about one hundred yards away. It would have been nice to have the window open over night but the traffic noise was too annoying. I really didn't come all this way to hear traffic!
Had I known, I would not have come here. My husband did ask about other rooms in case of a cancellation but nothing was available without spending another $100/night. We already were spending around $140.00/night. No good bike trail access either. I was told to ride 2 miles on the shoulder of hwy 61 to the state park. I've got small kids so that was out of the question. (Blue Fin Bay will drive guests to the trails).
Food was fine overall. The North shore sampler appetizer was a rip-off though. Don't bother with it. My husband's steak was good and the kid's food was fine too. I didn't care for my salad and as it turned out, there was a hair in it! The manager did comp it and gave us 1/2 off the rest of our bill so I felt that was fair.
Overall, not the fun resort experience I had expected.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank AAshcroft
GrandSuperiorLodge, General Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear AAshcroft,
Thank you again for your feedback regarding the room type you booked, the only way we can understand how we are doing is from feedback like yours so I assure you we will consider how we describe the rooms that do not face the lake. I am glad you were able to move into a Lake Home where you will be able to leave your window open and hear the splashing water on the rocks. As I said in my note to you directly, please do not hesitate to contact me via my cell phone which is on my business card. I truly hope you enjoy the rest of your time on the North Shore!

Nick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Vadnais Heights, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The worst stay ever.

When you pay $200+ per night you expect some things like good service while buying a sub-par $30 entree or a $10 glass of wine, instead you get awful service, an attitude from the staff and poor food and drink. You expect your room to be stocked daily with fresh towels and linens, instead you get nothing and when you call the front desk they say that they don't do that and it's the guests obligation to call for that, so they send someone to knock on your door and drop off a garbage bag of towels as they run off. The only good thing is the location. I will never come here again and will make it my life's mission to make sure nobody I know goes here.

• Stayed June 2014
7 Thank Disneydad63
Dear Disneydad63,
Thank you for sharing some of your feedback and first of all I do apologize for not meeting your expectations. Not knowing exactly what you reserved or what room type you stayed in I can only speak to our general policy here at the resort regarding housekeeping, which is; in our Lake Homes and Log Cabins for stays under a week we do not provide stay-over service meaning we do not come and clean every day but are happy to come replace towels (and no they should not simply drop them and run as you described) and take out your trash. This is actually the way a lot of our guests like it as you are not being bothered by housekeepers every day and you can enjoy the privacy of your separate buildings in peace. For guests who do like more of a hotel- like feel the Lodge Rooms do have daily service and I can tell you many leave their DND signs out as they too like the privacy. Regarding the meal service again I do not have your facts but I do know we had a surprise hit of business at the end of this weekend and the staff did respond somewhat, also the manager on duty was able to provide some appropriate compensation for any trouble our guests experienced. Thousands of guests come here (many every year) and enjoy their experiences, I am sorry you did not and you can feel free to contact me at nick@grandsuperior.com if I can be of any further assistance but thank you for the feedback nonetheless. Best wishes,

Maple Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Right on the shores of Lake Superior, overall, the Grant Superior Lodge is a very nice resort on Lake Superior. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. It's nice having a refrigerator and microwave, as well as a whirlpool in the room. The beds are not 'heavenly beds' like the Westin has, but are comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The King Suite on an upper floor was nice and quiet. I've stayed in the one bedroom lake home before, upper level, and those are spacious and nice too. They have spa services available as well as an indoor pool, hot tub and exercise room. The resort is very close to Gooseberry Falls and it's just a little over an hour drive to Grand Marais. Will definitely be back to stay again.

Room Tip: It was nice and quiet in the Lodge on the top floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear MRB447,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write back to Trip Advisor about your stay with us, many times we find it is merely those who do not feel they received what they expected that take the time to write so we truly appreciate it and will be sure to share with our staff. Summer is just starting to kick into gear, we have had about 7 weddings that have had hundreds of thrilled (many first timers to the north shore) guests and some even used the term "dream wedding" so we are just thrilled to be able to be the place where people go to celebrate life's great moments or to simply "be" with their friends and family. All the best to you in your travels!

Chanhassen, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here a few years ago and it was great but we were curious to see what else the area had to offer. We booked a room at different resort but ended up leaving that resort within hours of seeing how poorly it compared to the The Grand Superior Lodge. Matt at the Grand Superior Lodge was able to get us a room last minute and completely saved our weekend. After being here twice I will continue to come here for any future north shore trips. The food is good, the rooms are private and romantic and the service was excellent. Thank you Matt for the exceptional service!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
GrandSuperiorLodge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Hello Chris,

Thank you for taking time let us know about your recent experience with us at Grand Superior Lodge. It was my pleasure to accommodate your weekend with us. It is the ability to create memorable experiences such as the one you had that makes me enjoy what I do. I on behalf of the entire staff here at Grand Superior want to again thank you for your continued patronage and look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Best Regards,

Matt
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband and I were not sure what to expect at Grand Superior Lodge but had very high hopes as we had checked out early from another local high-priced resort after a very disappointing experience. We were pleasantly surprised to find the GSL staff very friendly and helpful, the room we stayed in light and airy (and CLEAN!) and the beds comfy. Because we didn't need/want a room with a fireplace or jacuzzi, we feel that we paid a reasonable price for our room at $139. We had a nice view of the lake and loved being able to keep the window cracked open for fresh air. The fire outside on the patio at 7pm was great and we enjoyed making s'mores while chatting with other hotel guests. We did eat in the bar for dinner as the restaurant area was not open (it was a Monday so not real busy). Luckily, we only wanted to eat something light so we ordered a couple of appetizers to share. I say this because all of the menu entrees were around $20 or more....pricing that is a little steep for the north shore. To clarify, the menu items aren't your typical fare of pizza, burgers, sandwiches and salads thus the higher pricing. But we, probably like most visitors to the north shore, fully expect to eat the usual fare and pay less than $20/person/meal. Had we wanted an actual meal, we probably would have gone elsewhere. Overall, though, our stay was very pleasant and we will return in the future.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. We’re happy to hear that you found your accommodations to exceed your expectations. We are proud to be able to offer our guests the luxuries of home while relaxing on the water’s edge of Lake Superior. Thank you for being our guests, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Elk River, Minnesota
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We have loved Grand Superior Lodge and decided to have our wedding there. All of the staff involved were very friendly and helpful in accommodating all our wishes. Family traveled from Iowa and they all loved it! The wedding went off without a hitch! The food was amazing and everyone had a fabulous time! Thank you Grand Superior Lodge for a fantastic and unforgettable day.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I'm glad that you noticed the integrity of our staff and willingness to help you enjoy your stay on the shore to the fullest. We look forward to welcoming you back. Thank you for being our guest!

Best Regards,

Elk River, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 June 2014

WOW! What a beautiful lodge and hotel! A special Thank you to Kelly and staff for accommodating this wedding and reception, from start to finish! All weekend long!
Check in was a ease even with guests traveling from Iowa, And late night arrivals. Guest were able to choose from lodge or hotel rooms, to which fit there comfort levels, style and family needs.
The morning of the wedding, staff was available and prompt with any request and needs.
From the time pictures started till reception ended, Kelly made sure anything needed was handled with ease and efficiency.
I have been to Grand Superior before on several occasions and all have exceeded my expectations. Thank you Kelly and other staff for making these visits wonderful

Room Tip: I have stayed in both lodges and hotel rooms. Would recommend either to people depending on what the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you for your continued patronage with our resort. Customer service is a key value that we hold and I will be sure to relay your praises to Kelly as she has been a staple of our resort for years. We hope to welcome you back in the not to distant future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Two Harbors
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Silver Bay
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors

Been to Grand Superior Lodge? Share your experiences!