“Amazing Pie”

Ranked #2 of 4 Dessert in Two Harbors
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 21 August 2014

After sitting down and trying to decide on one piece of pie, we quickly decided to each order something different and try 4 different ones. Each was fantastic. Perfect Peach. Chocolate, Apple, and a blueberry. We can't wait to get back for more!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,058)

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stopping at Betty's Pies is a tradition for my wife and I whenever we travel the North Shore. They are known for their pies, but also have a menu to please most everyone. It can get crowded at the height of the tourist season so you may have a wait, but it will be worth it.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were staying in a nearby lake home for the weekend with a full kitchen so we got two pies , Carmel apple and blueberry peach. All of us felt they were very ordinary, nothing special. They certainly have a large selection to choose from. The wait can be long if you want to eat there. Given the huge quantity of pie they produce each day, it is almost impossible that they would have that delicious homemade taste.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

The 40 minute wait was well worth the time to get my blueberry pie. My wife had the 5 chocolate pie and she said it was out of this world. In fact the stop is so worthwhile and so close to our B&B that we had to go the second time.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

My wife and I and our 3yr old grandson stopped here on our way home from Duluth one Monday afternoon, recently. I have always wanted to stop and this was the best time for us to be able to do so. Now that I have been, I will not ever have to again.

I wanted apple pie. They had none. Nor peach or cherry. Not that either were even on the menu. What kind of 'pie place' doesn't have the staple pies?? What they did have, however, were some funky mishmash berry pies and several different cream pies. So, I had no pie. I opted instead for a burger on rye with swiss and grilled onions. If you choose to get a burger, don't. The patty was so compressed that every bite was like chewing on a soft knuckle. The 'rye' bread was nothing more than dark wheat toast. The onions were a small mess of 'grilled' chopped onions; I would have expected grilled rings of onions. And the grease. Oh, the grease to turn your tum! The waitress was friendly enough, even if she did 'up-sell' me on the greasiest onion rings that you have ever had, instead of fries. Had I known that they were an additional $2.75 I would not have gotten them.

My wife had a 'rumbleberry' pie. She said the filling was pretty good, but that the crust was tasteless and thick. Not at all flaky and light as you would expect from a 2-crust pie. She worked at a pie restaurant and has made homemade pies for many years, so she knows her stuff.

Our grandson had some chicken strips and fries. Basic strips, nothing fancy. The fries on the other hand were like sticks of greasy fried mashed potatoes. Literally. I am glad I got the nasty onion rings over the fries.

And then my wife took our grandson to the bathroom. She said that it looked well enough, until you had to lift the seat on the toilet. She said the amount of filth and blood on the toilet was almost enough to cause her to wretch up her pie. Of course we told the waitress about this, but she didn't seem to really care overly much. There was one woman behind the counter that looked to hold some air of authority but she had a scowl on her and eyes that scanned the room like a prison warden so often that I was afraid to approach her about the subject.

The overall atmosphere was pleasant enough. It has a blue and white decor in an older diner setting; while a bit outdated, it was nice to see. Kind of had a fun feeling to the place. Would I ever go again? No. Would I recommend it? If you're a tourist, yes. If you're a local living anywhere on the arrowhead? No, wait 'til you get home.