“Wonderful Memorable Stay at Larsmont Cottages” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior

Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Northern MN
“Wonderful Memorable Stay at Larsmont Cottages”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2007

We booked a one bedroom lakeside cottage for a one night stay, and I was sad leaving this place. It was like heaven on earth. The room looked EXACTLY as the photos shown,except I thought the whole place was even cozier than what the photos showed. I was glad i spent the xtra money for the lakeside as we were really close and had a wonderful view, although the lakeview rooms really are only set back about 40 feet or so, and still have great views as well. The one bedroom is basically a 3 bedroom cottage that has the upper level locked off, so there may be someone above you in a suite room or basic room upstairs. We did have people in the rooms above us,during our stay, but we barely knew we were there. We could hear their jacuzzi tub filling with water, but that is all we heard during the whole stay. Knowing what the suite room looked like from the website photos, I did have a hard time knowing that gorgeous room was so close but not included in the one bedroom. I did ask at the front desk for a tour of an open suite, but they were all booked up which was a bummer!!

The whole resort is just beautiful- the lodge and the restaurant, pool room, sauna, massage cottage which offers hot stone massages...everything is just awesome. The shoreline is incredible with the rocky/cobblestone beaches. There are free smores nightly up by the lodge at the campfire, or you can gather around one of the firepits by the shore and just sit there and listen to the waves crashing against the shore. There is not a firepit in front of each cabin however due to DNR regulations. You share one with your neighbors, and there is a stock of firewood right by each one, and adirondack chairs. The firepits were pretty quiet during our stay, we only saw 3 other people the entire night. I could have sat there the entire night with a glass of wine just watching the beautiful lake and their were no mosquitoes at all!

When we arrived, we noticed we only 2 towels and there were 4 of us, so we asked a worker who was riding around in a little golf cart with loads of towels to bring us more and she said she would, be we never did get those towels, so we had to run up to the main lodge the next morning and get some, but other than that small inconvenience, the staff were all very nice..especially a young man we we encountered a couple of times who literally went out of his way to help us out and make us feel welcome. I wish I had caught his name.

Some neat things i enjoyed...they have minnesota cookbooks sitting on the counter by the stove that had some good recipes...there is a nice larsmont cottages guestbook so you can write in your experiences, and read about the other people that have stayed in the cottage.There is a telescope in the cottage for you to look in the distance for ships etc. There are no mowed lawns behind the cabins, it is rather just grassy areas with trails from cabin to cabin and down to the shore. Very rustic. The patios have a nice table and chairs, and a love seat type rocker, and of course a gas grill. The restaurant has grill packages available with meat and veggies etc... if you want to grill but didn't bring any groceries with you. The kiitchen had basically everything you need to cook except for cooking spray and the actual food. They did have salt and pepper and sugar etc..however. Don't bring any guests to dinner however lol because there were exactly 4 forks, spoons, etc and that was it!! The total cost of our room was $272 including tax, and we cooked all our own meals to help justify the cost of the room, and really enjoyed eating that in front of the cozy fireplace.

If you are thinking maybe a place like this is out of your budget, i can say that it really was worth every penny because you just don't get this kind of experience in a motel room. It's not just somewhere to sleep..it is serenity, and peaceful, and cozy, and you feel like you are at the ocean..and we all dream of staying in a home by the beach. My actual home is on a lake, but it is nothing compared to being on Lake Superior.

All in all, a wonderful experience in a beautiful place..so beautiful that I stayed up until 2 in the morning just soaking it all in...staring at the beautiful decor, and ambience....like i said...I was in heaven. I am trying to talk my hubby into becoming an owner!

• Liked — Views, Beautiful cottages
  • Disliked — Cost, no laundry facility
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank Tammy B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2007

We just returned from a four night stay at the Larsmont Cottages. While there were some minor flaws (hence the four star rating), overall it was an excellent experience.

Our cottage: We stayed in a three bedroom lakeview cottage (330 to be exact). You can be assured that the cottages look exactly like the pictures on their website. They are not misleading in the least. The entire thing was lovely, and quite spacious for our family of four. My kids were thrilled that they each had their "own" bathroom. The bathrooms for two of the three bedrooms were HUGE and had jacuzzi tubs and separate showers. The third bathroom was considerably smaller, but still had a tub/shower combination. The cottage had a decent lakeview from the dining room, living room and one upstairs bedroom. On the downside, the floor in front of the island in the kitchen was a bit sticky, so I used a paper towel to wipe it up. In the process, I discovered that the floor was quite dirty, despite it's appearance of being "clean." I suspect the cleaners are not quite as thorough as they should be. To me, this was a relatively minor thing...and I wasn't going to let it ruin the overall experience for me. One other minor point is that the cottages have washer and dryers, BUT they are not available to hotel guests...they are in locked rooms within the cottage, and available only to owners (all of the cottages are privately owned). I'd prefer to have use of a washer/dryer, but because I knew in advance I wouldn't have use of one, I simply packed accordingly.

The setting: The Larsmont has beautiful frontage on Lake Superior. We enjoyed walking the rocky beach, and my husband and son both went in the lake for several short swims. The entry into the lake was tricky though, and not the best. But, really, the lake isn't warm enough to be truly swimmable. We happened to catch 4 days of unseasonably warm weather though, so swimming was possible as a means of cooling off. For three of the five days/four nights we were there, we were not bothered in the least by insects. But, on the third night, we had a brief rain shower and the next day the biting black flies were out IN FORCE. They made it virtually impossible to walk the beach without being covered by flies. I wish we had bought appropriate insect repellant! So word to the wise....come prepared! I liked that the Larsmont is so close to Duluth (20-25 minutes), and the Twin Cities. Easy three hour drive...in contrast to Lutsen and some parts farther north which add 2+ hours to the drive.

Ledge Rock Grille: We had two dinners and two breakfasts at the Grille, included as part of our package rate. The food was, for the most part, quite well done. The one item we found lacking was the bagel and lox served at breakfast...it came without any of the usual items (onions, capers, etc) and was boring and bland. Just a toasted bagel, some standard smoked salmon and a hunk of cream cheese. The asiago walleye, however, was outstanding and highly recommended. Service was also excellent. I will fault them, however, for having an unreasonably late opening time (9:00 am) for breakfast...even during the week. I could *maybe* see that hour for a weekend breakfast, but during the week? I would have appreciated an opening time of 7:30 or at the latest, 8:00. As a special note to parents, the children's meals were a true bargain...especially for a resort on the North Shore...ranging in price from $4-6, including a beverage. The wine list is small, but contains interesting items priced reasonably.

Other amenities: My children were beyond thrilled with the smores served each night by the bonfire in front of the Lodge. A simple thing, that brought much pleasure. The swimming pool was nice...although a bit on the cold side for an indoor pool (I'd guess it was less than 80 degrees?). The outdoor hot tub needed to be warmer...it was no more than 100 degrees. We also enjoyed a rousing game of horseshoes on the lawn, and saw other families enjoying croquet. My daughter and I took out a couple of bikes, and those were also of nice quality. Helmets also available. None of these cost additional. They also have kayaks and canoes...there's a modest charge of $20 per two hour period for these. Lots of books, DVDs and board games are available in the Lodge for guest use.

• Liked — Spacious, well-appointed cottage
  • Disliked — Cleanliness left something to be desired
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank mnrose1
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2007

We had a great stay at the cottage back in May. We stayed for two nights in a lakeside cottage. How great is it to wake up and walk out the back door to the largest of the great lakes! The place was spacious and very clean. We went to the local grocery store and bought food and cooked dinner for ourselves. We also checked out movies they had available in lobby.

My only complaint was that there were quite some bugs in the bathroom. I must have killed at least 6 of them. And there was one floating in the tub when we were draining out our tub after a late night bubble bath. Ick...not good.

Other than the bugs, we had a good stay.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shopgirl7466
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2007

We have stayed at many nice North Shore spots over the years, including Bluefin Bay, Superior Shores, Grand Superior Lodges, and Dodges Log Lodges. A 3-day trip to Larsmont Cottages was my birthday present this year-- What a lovely treat! Similar in many ways to its Big Sister, Grand Superior, the Larsmont layouts are familiar, but the resort sits much farther from the main road. Also, the Larsmont has a more Scandinavian feel, whereas Grand Superior is log-styled.

We rented a lovely, airy Lakeview Cozy Suite which included a comfy Queen bed, gas fireplace, mini-kitchen with microwave and refrigerator, flat screen TV with DVD, and large bath with whirlpool tub. (Total cost per night about $172, summer weekday rates) Our only
criticism of the room itself was the postage-stamp sized deck, which barely fit two camp chairs (be aware that deck chairs are not provided--we brought our own!) This mini-deck directly overlooked the
patio of the unit below us--luckily, the unit below was empty that night, but it could have been an issue. Also, we didn't realize that a Lakeview room was so far from the water--be sure to reserve a Lakeside room if you wish to overlook the rocky shore.

Speaking of shore, there is plenty of it, dotted with numerous firepits and comfy Adirondack chairs. At night, guests simply choose a firepit and call for a light--someone from the lodge will show up a few moments later to light the fire and make sure there is enough kindling and firewood. There is also a nightly bonfire with S'mores right outside the Ledge Rock Grille.

We had dinner at the Grille one evening and found the ambience pleasant and prices pretty reasonable-- A glass of good wine was $5. The food was somewhat uneven---ranging from the BEST cream of mushroom soup I've ever had in my life---to a very mushy, tasteless walleye cake, which is a resort specialty.

There is lots to do at the resort and in the area. One morning we borrowed a couple of complimentary Trek bikes and cycled the 5 miles into Two Harbors for coffee; another morning, we just walked to the Mocha Moose coffee shop across from the resort on Scenic 61. On weekends, you can take the excursion train into Two Harbors for lunch
and shopping--it stops just across the road. There are also kayaks and canoes available for guest use.

There are many restaurants within a short drive. The Nokomis is pretty new (used to be the Shorecrest supper club) and is a lovely place. It's just a few miles south of the resort. We sat in the Garden overlooking the Big Lake and had drinks and appetizers. Lovely views, friendly staff, small portions, big prices. A very small appetizer (not big enough to split) was $9 and a glass of wine about the same. The Scenic Cafe is just a short drive south of the Nokomis and has a similar feel and similar prices.

There is also a new restaurant on Homestead Road near Knife River called the Lighthouse--it just opened and looks like a nice place. Hopefully someone will try it soon and post a review! Sadly, Emily's in Knife River has closed and now sits forlorn and empty.

We very much enjoyed our stay and hope to return again soon. Larsmont
is a nice North Shore getaway, within 3 hours of the Twin Cities.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, views, helpful staff, lovely decor
  • Disliked — Small decks
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Katrina208
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2007

We stayed at the Larsmont for Grandma's Marathon weekend. This was our first time to the Duluth area and the entire staff made us feel welcome and right at home - "Minnesota NICE"

We felt like we were at an adult luxury summer camp. We got to 'play' by the lake and sit in adirondack chairs front of a fire and make s'mores...all with a extremely comfortable bed, warm fireplace, flat screen TV and whirlpool waiting for us in our room. Not to mention a good restaurant with yummy adult beverages and food right on the property.

We finished the marathon and had a wonderful relaxing weekend at the Larsmont. If you are looking for a place to just relax and get away from it all, check out the Larsmont.

Overall +'s
+ service - most the staff went above and beyond esp. front desk Laura and Dexter and bar/waitstaff Jay and Jon and ops Jake
+ view - great views and real quiet / relaxing
+ rooms - good size with great amenities

Overall -'s
- price is a little higher than I'd expect for the area
- some kinks still being worked out
- a little far from the Grandma's weekend festivities in Duluth

• Liked — Staff / Service
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank w0rkhardplayharder
Northern Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2007

I heard a great offer for rooms on the radio, so I decided to take advantage of the deal before it ended. I started by renting one guest
room for my husband and me, and by the time Friday night arrived, I had rented an additional two rooms for our children and spouses. We saw the inside of a cottage; it was beautiful! I hope to go back and rent one someday. My favorite part was the outdoor hot tub!

• Liked — Besides the hot tub, the scenery and the friendly, competent staff.
  • Disliked — The mud and seeing the dumpster as you exit the main lobby.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank MNAnnie
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2006

Larsmont Cottages is hands-down one of the best experiences I have had in the Duluth area. The cottages are so comfortable, I was actually sad to leave the resort!

Instead of taking a cruise this year, we decided to save some money and try a local resort. I am happy to say we were pleasantly surprised. My husband and I enjoyed many a glass of wine on the shoreline during sunset only to retire to our wonderful one bedroom cottage complete with a fireplace, kitchen, and hot tub.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone who is looking to de-stress and "get away from it all"!

• Liked — The accomodations
  • Disliked — I felt the food at the resort could have been better
  • Tips/Secrets — Pack those things you'd like to do but never have a chance to get around to
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
South Pier Inn on the Canal
Park Point Marina Inn
Park Point Marina Inn
#1 of 33 in Duluth

Been to Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!