“Decent but pricey”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Vadnais Heights
Chicago
“Decent but pricey”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Have stayed here on 2 occasions now with the most recent earlier this week. Despite the previous reviews, I would say the front desk gals were friendly and helpful. Thought the rooms were "OK" - they were clean! TV had plenty of channels. Bathroom was clean. Did not eat breakfast and did not use the workout room although it was much bigger than most HI Expresses. Attached restaurant - I'd call more of a bar actually is decent if you like sports bars. Drink and food prices are very reasonable.
Room AC unit was very quiet - a rare and nice feature.
Gave this Hotel only a "good" rating as $139 in my opinion is not only pricey, but in direct competition with some other upscale hotel brands within a few miles.

Room Tip: Ask for one. Location is relatively quiet. A front facing room might be quieter than facing the b...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
mgrmary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vadnais Heights, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear Kubzfan-
Thank you for your comments. We were glad to see that you returned after our renovation, and that you were able to experience our friendly and helpful staff. We feel the great changes we have made along with the excellent service we provide make our property a great value for our guests and set us above the rest. We hope to see you again soon!

Holiday Inn Express-Vadnais Heights,MN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ohio
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I stayed at this hotel in April 2013 on business. The hotel was clean and nicely equipped. The room was clean with lots of space. fridge in room and good wifi.. The hot breakfast was good and had a nice selection... There is an attached restaurant that has very good food. It is a sports bar type place with a good selection of dishes and drinks...

I would not hesitate to stay here again if I am back in St. Paul

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
mgrmary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vadnais Heights, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us. We greatly appreciate your feedback as our staff truly enjoys receiving it. We hope to see you again soon!

Kind Regards,
Holiday Inn Express Vadnais Heights, MN
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 March 2013

My family stayed at this hotel for one night. The rooms and the hotel were clean and comfortable but we had a very poor front desk experience.

After returning to the hotel from a late dinner walking through the front lobby with other families we greet the front desk, which they barely greet us back as our greeting interrupted their conversation with each other. We continue to walk down the hall towards the elevators with the other families when suddenly the front clerk chases my family down the hallway harshly demanding for our names and room numbers. All the while letting the other families walk by without being harrassed for their information. There were no polite pleases or excuse mes just being stopped and demanded our information then being told to wait there as she verifies our information in the computer. The only difference I could see between my family and the others was that my family is minority and the others are not.

We were in touch with the general manager Mary and she offered her apologies but the impression has already been made.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tim C
mgrmary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vadnais Heights, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear Tim,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. As we are a busy hotel that is attached to a restaurant and bar our staff is responsible for making sure all guests are registered in the late evening hours. I greatly apologize that you felt you were not approached appropriately by our staff member who was verifying this with you. We have discussed this with our staff and are confident that your shared comments have strengthened our service. Please contact me directly if you would like to further discuss your stay.
651-484-2400

Travellers are raving about these Vadnais Heights hotels

White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I decided this time to get a jacuzzi room. Didn't even use it, I spent $50 more for this room than a regular room for a bathtub size jacuzzi. It's unfortunate that they don't advertise that there is room for only 1 person in the jacuzzi at a time, quite a disappointment. As far as the condition of the room goes there were 5 or 6 tiles missing around the jacuzzi which didn't do much for the looks. The bathroom was dirty, the toilet seat looked like it had a years worth of urine that collected and dried on the underside pretty disgusting. The ceiling tiles in the bathroom were all droopy and water stained like they had been collecting water that leaked through the ceiling for quite some time. The room we had was right next to the breakfast area so in the morning we were woken wuite early by people gathering in the hall outside the room and by banging on the wall in the breakfast area. This places is less than 10 miles from my home so typically I wouldn't stay at a hotel so close by. The restaurant attached is the only reason we stayed here again, cheaper getting a room than getting a DUI. Next time it will be a taxi ride home.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
mgrmary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vadnais Heights, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and your comments have been passed on to our ownership. Cleanliness and service are our top priority. We value your business and would love the opportunity to speak to you futher about your stay.

Holiday Inn Express Vadnais Heights
651-484-2400
Reviewed 3 February 2013

My family is staying in one of their two-room suites with my cousins and aunt and uncle. There's PLENTY of room for all 12 of us in the suite and the fact that we're given a full kitchen and table that can seat 6 is great! The decorating and wall paper is nice, modern, and newly renovated and the 3 TVs seem brand new! The entire hotel seems very clean and well-kept and the pool area is very nice and a great place to relax. The breakfast area sits many and is also very modern and appealing to the eye. Not to mention, the complementary breakfast is delicious! Make-Yourself pancakes, cinnamon rolls, biscuits and gravy, sausage, muffins, cereal, yogurt. There are several options for food here. I'd prefer a couple more HEALTHY alternative food options, given health and good diet is a main concern in the lives of many people nowadays. I think all hotels shall start serving healthier food choices for those who are dieting or striving for a healthier lifestyle.

The workout room was also very nice and I used it a lot, however by the end of our second day here, all of the treadmills sopped working. Not sure of the cause.
The meeting room was a great place for the hockey team's "Potluck" and the bar (for the parents) and convenience stores ring connected directly to the hotel was convenient.

Now, on to the down side of things:

The hotel had no main sitting area in the lobby. Fortunately, there was plenty of space to relax in the breakfast room along with a TV and chairs so perhaps that was the place intended for "lobby-chilling".

In our suite, we found it strange and unnecessary that there was a window from our room looking down into the main check-out area below on floor 1. At night, my sister and I slept on the pull-out couch and the light from the lobby shone through the window and it was very hard to fall asleep. We had to improvise by putting a sleeping bag over the window, for the curtain was witw and transparent. This is an easy fix. At least consider providing a curtain that can block some of the light.
Another complaint about our suite: It is VERY hot! There are heaters and air conditioners in the two bedrooms, but out in the living room, we find it hard to fall asleep, for the fans meant to blow cool air from the bedrooms into the living room do not work. Well, one does, but it is far too loud to have on at night. Also, the TV remotes break easily.

Another complaint: The service was absolutely horrible. I was told the service was fan so experience what I have is quite shocking. First of all, turns out anyone under 18 can not even step foot in the hallways at a certain point in the night without a parent. We were told this by one of the grumpy front-desk ladies. However, another worker proceeded to tell us that we couldn't be in the hallways at all even when we were walking up to our room... with our MOTHER!? She also told us she'd "throw us out" on our "second warning", which doesn't make any sense for we literally were causing no mischief nor were we even running in the hallways, just walking from point A to point B. The front desk service was poor. Both ladies lack charisma and respect. They try to be professional but fall slightly short.
Also, at around 10:00 PM, when all the little kids were out of the pool area, some of my friends and cousins went down to stick our feet in the hot tub. One of them was 18, and the rest of us were mostly 16, the youngest being 14. We were wing utterly quiet and respectful and weren't even in the pool nor the hot tub, we just had our feet in and yet we were kicked out. We were told someone of the age of 18+ had to be there to watch us, though we did have an 18 yr old there. But we were still kicked out. I'm all for listening to instructions, but the rules seem a bit abbrasive and should be tamed down, I believe. The sign hung up in the pool area strictly states, "Under 14 must be accompanied by an adult" yet we were all over 14 and still had to leave. I found the sign to be a but misleading, therefore.
I understand they are doing everything they can to avoid a possible lawsuit but, c'mon, the odds of us hurting ourselves by sticking our toes in the hot tub water is very unlikely and we'd definitely not sue, most likely. But I guess, they have rules an they must be respected. Regardless of how ridiculous they may seem.
Also, the maid service wasnt the greatest, but I have no intention in sounding like a high-class Primadonna.

All and all, the hotel is beautiful and welcoming and high-class, but the low-par service I've experienced on this trip has faded the hotel's successful potential to a tint.

I don't wanna sound rude, for I know its no easy task enforcing rules given and keeping thugs in order at a nice hotel, but the behavior of a couple of the frot desk workers should be evaluated. They aren't necessarily mean, simply overly strict and unnecessarily demanding an cold-faced. Please, let our parents do the parenting as long as the behavior of the children doesn't affect the sasifaction of fellow costumers.

Beautiful venue, service could use some slight improving. But thanks for the over-all amazing stay! :) God bless!

-Rob

• Stayed February 2013
mgrmary, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vadnais Heights, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Thank you for your review. We welcome all comments and feedback that we can use to strengthen the service and facilites that we provide to our guests. At times our staff is challenged with regulating rules for the security of all guests to ensure a quite and comfortable stay. We are glad to hear you were able to experience our newly remodeled property and would love the opportunity to welcome you back again on your next visit to the area!
Minnesota
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I've been staying at this hotel for a number of years when I am traveling for work and am always pleased with the stay. The rooms are big and the facilities are very nice. The breakfast is always great and has a variety of food which was different each morning. I gave the sleep quality and average rating as you can hear doors opening and closing in the hallway.

Jimmy's restaurant/bar is connected on the east side of the hotel and always seems to be packed. I'm thinking this is because they almost always seem to have 2 for 1 drinks. It's a good place to unwind with coworkers after working all day. The only problem with having Jimmy's next door is it can get pretty loud where the smokers hang out in between there and the hotel.

The front desk staff are very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on the west side to avoid noise from the outside smokers at Jimmy's.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to hear that we are your hotel of choice while you are away from home and that our staff has delivered great service during your stays. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next stay even more comfortable. We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

I was traveling to the area for business meetings. The company hosting the meeting recommended this hotel. I called the hotel asking for their best rate. They told me $168. I asked if the company hosting the meeting had any group rates. They said no. I said are you sure this is the best rate you can do? They said yes. So I hung up and called the company asking why were they recommending this overpriced hotel. They said because they give a $99 corporate rate. I stay in hotels 30 nights a year. If you have a corporate rate and I tell you I'm traveling on business, tell me about it the first time I call. I don't have time or like jumping through hoops to get it.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
mgrmary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vadnais Heights, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
We greatly apologize you encountered difficulty booking your companies specific rate for your stay. We do continuously load company and group rates and it may not have displayed in our system at the time of your call. We do hope that your stay was enjoyable and will ensure your rate has been loaded for future stays. Please feel free to contact me directly with any further concerns.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vadnais Heights
Fairfield Inn & Suites St. Paul Northeast
Fairfield Inn & Suites St. Paul ...
#2 of 3 in Vadnais Heights
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Paul Northeast
Best Western Plus White Bear Country Inn
Hyatt Place St Paul / Downtown
Best Western Plus St. Paul North/Shoreview
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Shoreview

Been to Holiday Inn Express Vadnais Heights? Share your experiences!