“Dirty and smells”

Coates Plaza Hotel
Coates Plaza Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Virginia
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Hallway smell of old cigars. There are many better places to stay in the area. They need to do alot of updates.

• Stayed: October 2011
There are newer reviews for Coates Plaza Hotel

Reviewed 16 August 2011

We tried to find a room in Duluth and everything was booked. Therefore, we drove to Virginia. The Coates seemed to be the only hotel with rooms available between Duluth and the Canadian border.

The room was clean; however, the hotel appeared dated. The curtain liner had a hole in it. The pool looked nice although we didn't use it. I had a hard time using the in room wireless and the hotel did not have a computer by the front desk for guests to use. It should. Everywhere else seems to.

The price seemed a little high but not unreasonable for the time of year and the lack of availability. The hotel did not furnish a breakfast and it should if it wants to better compete.

The hotel is located downtown, and there is parking behind the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2011

First--the good. The hotel location can't be beat. It's right downtown so you can park and walk. Most places are closed by 5pm, with the exception of the numerous bars along Chestnut Street.
Now, the hotel. The hotel is understaffed. It took 20 minutes to check in because there is only one person working at a time. While checking in, she was interrupted countless times to answer the telephone and address an issue over the phone. The check-in process also seems inefficient.
There is no air conditioning in the hotel that I could see. The rooms have an overworked air conditioner, but the lobby was stifling and humid. We reserved three 'standard' non-smoking rooms and were told they would all be on the same floor. Two of us were on the second floor and one was on the first floor. We asked if we could be moved and that request seemed to overwhelm the desk attendant. It's not a big deal so we told her the existing rooms would be fine.
The 'standard' rooms have been 'upgraded' according to the website. They cost more as well. After staying at the Coates Plaza, I feel there should be a time limit on how long you can advertise a room as 'recently upgraded.' The decor was dated, bathroom sink was rusted and it seemed tired and worn out overall. More accurately it should be touted as 'recently in need of an upgrade' instead.
I have zero tolerance for smoke smells and always request a non-smoking room. The first thing I noticed when we opened the door to the room was the stale smoke odor. It wasn't a fresh, recently smoked in odor. It was more of a smell that comes from the carpet, furnishings and walls being steeped in the smell over time. I requested a smoke neutralizing spray to use in the room. All she could find for me was a disinfectant spray. Turning the room air conditioner on helped some, but my smoke-smell induced headache was unbearable by morning.
There were only two towels and they were quite threadbare. I requested more towels from the front desk. Housekeeping isn't staffed in the afternoon so I needed to go to the desk to get the towels. This was another 10 minute wait because she was busy answering phones.
There was a bracket for a hairdryer in the bathroom, but no hairdryer attached. I called the front desk AGAIN and asked where the hairdryer was located. I got a very 'teen' response...."on the bathroom wall" with attitude. I informed her the bracket was there, but no hairdryer. That seemed to overwhelm her more than the request for three rooms on the same floor. However, I did actually have a need for a hairdryer. I briefly considered shopping for one, but we were traveling on motorcycles and my packing space was limited. I checked hotels before we left to verify each one did, indeed, have a hairdryer for use in the room. She said she would have to look for one. I showered the road grime off and since I hadn't heard anything, I walked down to the front desk to pick it up. She hadn't had time to look for one. While I waited, she went to the basement to try to find one. About 15 minutes later she returned empty handed. She remembered obtaining a hairdryer for another guest who was also missing a hairdryer and tried calling that room to see if they were done with it yet. I felt that was quite unprofessional. I told her to call her manager to see what could be done about a hairdryer. Her response was, "Like, right now?!?" I assured her that she could make the call when it was convenient for her. It wasn't her fault it was missing and she didn't appear to have had a break at all.
There is a bar attached to the hotel lobby where the rest of the group had been waiting. I met up with them after leaving the front desk. An hour later, the desk attendant tracked me down in the bar to let me know she located a hairdryer and some Febreeze and asked my permission to enter my room to leave the hairdryer and to spray some Febreeze. That was the one shining spot in the entire stay. Sure enough, there was a hairdryer in the bathroom when we returned to the room.
The smoke smell diminished some, but was still noticeable. The king sized bed had two undersized, flat pillows. It was very comical looking, to be honest. They looked like throw pillows on the bed. The bed itself wasn't horrible. I've slept on much worse.
The shower water was hot. There is only shampoo--no conditioner available in the bathroom.
I didn't use the pool area. One in the group tried to use the hot tub. She said there was one good jet.
In the morning, when I was checking out a woman was standing with her two children, waiting near the reception desk. They stood there while two parties in front of me checked out. Before I was helped I pointed her out, still patiently waiting. The man at the desk then acknowledged her. All she wanted was a few towels for the pool. It seems silly to have those towels so far from the pool and so difficult to obtain. I have no idea how long she had been waiting as she was there when I got to the lobby.
Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to anybody. They have great potential, but the detractors are significant enough to keep me from ever going back.
I did take the business card of the manager to tell her about my experience. I have yet to hear back from her.

Room Tip: There isn't a good room to get in this hotel. Just reduce your expectations and open your walle...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I stayed at the Coates while in Virginia for work. The location of the hotel is perfect! Right on one of the main streets with shopping and food within walking distance. The lobby of the hotel seemed somewhat outdated, so I was nervous at first. My room was clean and very comfortable. I stayed in a room adjacent to the pool. My room had a king size bed, fridge, microwave, desk, couch, and chair. The building seems to be well insulated. I did not hear any noise while I was there. Staff members were friendly and helpful. The room rates were more than fair. My one disappointment was in the breakfast that was provided. There were two types of sweet breads and coffee, so I brought my own food and had breakfast in my room. I will never stay at another place on any future trips to Virginia!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank angelmr
Kim H, General Manager at Coates Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your stay at Coates Plaza Hotel. As the Operations manager it's great to recieve any type of review. Reviews give us the oppportunity to make changes or keep on track of what we are doing right.. I appreciate your time and hope to meet you on a future stay.
Kim Hamann
Operations Manager

Reviewed 13 July 2011

They act completely unprofessional for one thing! We had our boys' birthday party there and the charge with tax came to 103.00. I checked my account this morning and was wondering why they charged us an extra $50. I called and the manager said they charged us because food was dug into the carpets and they had to clean the carpets. Ok I am a VERY neat and clean person. Yes, we had a birthday party with food, but at NO time before we left that hotel room was there food DUG into the carpets. I was on my hands and knees even picking up wrappers and dirt and whatever else I could find to MAKE SURE the hotel room was left better than when we even checked in! SO then the manager tells me they had to steam clean vs shampoo which is more expensive (not true, I worked in a hotel for 3 years). 2nd things she did, was laughed and said you can try taking us to court when I asked what else I can do to fight this. I feel they are out to just collect the almighty dollar as the business already seems like it is struggling. Besides our room, the whole hotel couldn't even put on air conditioning on an already hot humid day. Walking thru the halls it was like 100 degrees!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank NikkiMung
Reviewed 8 July 2011

The Coates staff could not be nicer. There's free coffee in the lobby in the morning. The pool is clean. My room and bathroom were (mostly) clean; the shower curtain liner had mold and when I advised the desk clerk of this when I checked out, he thanked me. The bed was comfy. Lots of channels on the TV and free wi-fi.

I was hoping for a bit of charm, but none to be found as the hotel needs work. Carpeting needs replacing. Walls need painting. Efforts made to dispel smoke smell but it's ever-present, esp. when elevator doors close. No smoking on the 5th floor where I stayed. I was looking for a quiet and clean place that wasn't too expensive and the Coates filled the bill, but if you want bells and whistles, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: No smoking 5th floor was reasonably priced compared to chain hotels on highway
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Samcat1
Reviewed 5 October 2010

The location is ground zero. Right on the main street and within yards of bars, restaurants and shops. I was worried about my Lucy (Harley Road King) as they have no parking lot. But she was OK as I was told reception is 24 hour. Reception was fine....my room wasn't. It was far too small, in fact tiny, and dated. This was about the smallest room I have stayed in in the States. Breakfast of any kind was not included so the rate was not good value for what I got. This hotel badly needs updating. Painting and carpet steam/chemical cleaning would be a good start and these are cheap to undertake.. Every hotel/house/building needs regular modernisation/updating. This hotel is no exception and needs it badly. I ate and had a few beers across the street at the lights and it was veru good.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Virginia
Holiday Inn Express Suites Mountain Iron
#1 of 4 in Virginia
Super 8 Eveleth
Super 8 Eveleth
#1 of 2 in Eveleth

Been to Coates Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!