“I brought my son here for his 15th birthday.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wabasha
Turning Waters Bed, Breakfast and Adventure
Ranked #1 of 2 Wabasha B&B and Inns
Ramsey, Minnesota, United States
“I brought my son here for his 15th birthday.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

Everything was great! Breakfast, nice place to sleep and close to everything you need in Wabasha. Everything is within a 5 minute walk, food, drink, bowling and the Eagle Center. Richie, Michael and Patsy took very good care of us and we really enjoyed our stay. The best part for my son and I was the kayaking trip. It was awesome and my son said it was his best birthday ever. I would have never thought I'd go kayaking in November in MN. But we did and we both really enjoyed it. Richie guided us across the Mississippi into the backwaters on the WI side of the river. Excellent job! We really enjoyed our stay at Turning Waters.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012 via mobile

My wife and I are in a Minnesota for a few weeks so that I can undergo medical treatment at the Mayo Clinic. We decided to take a mini-vacation for the weekend to see the Mississippi River Valley. After we saw the rave reviews for Turning Waters in Tripadvisor, we called and were lucky enough to find a vacancy. The place is charming and expertly run by Richie, Michael, and Patsy, three twenty-somethings who turned out to be some of the best bed and breakfast operators we have ever met. We instantly felt at home. After a glass of wine, we took a walk through the town's main street that run's alongside the river. It looks like a movie set from an old western. Breakfast was amazing, including fresh eggs from the chicken coop out back. This is a place I would strongly recommend for a wonderful weekend escape.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Saint Peter, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

When I first met Richie, who along with his friend Michael run Turning Waters, I thought, could someone this young manage all the details of a B&B? I soon found out the answer to that question was a resounding YES! From taking on the house's pre-B&B renovations to cooking the delicious and substantial breakfast, all the details are superbly covered. The real highlight though was how open and welcoming not only Richie and Michael were but their charming, small group of friends who add to the warmth and pleasure of this place.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

We visited for a night in the fall and every moment exceeded our expectations. The house is gorgeous, an old memory restored to beauty. The bed was incredibly comfortable and piled high with downy blankets. All of my favorites within walking distance - coffee, ice cream, the river. Thanks for a great getaway! We'll definitely return soon!

St. Paul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

Had a wonderful 28th anniversary celebration at Turning Waters. What a wonderfully inviting and finely appointed place where no small detail goes unnoticed. Our room had every possible convenience, comfortable bed, docking station with music playing on our arrival, an inviting hot tub, light dimmers. And I haven't even gotten to the creative, wonderful breakfast. We will definitely return, hopefully when the weather is warmer and we can try out Mississippi backwaters kayaking!

Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

Is there a higher rater than excellent? Turning Waters is the epitome of Rustic Chic. Even the name is right; it sounds at one with nature, but acknowledges that the turning of the waters means that the river (it's near the Mississippi) is never the same river twice. This place has that quiet but full of life feeling.

The home is appointed in a layered, textured way that makes you look and look again -- at the framed picture of Teddy Roosevelt on a bookcase, or an art book opened to a Vermeer laid on an old trunk. Communal rooms have furniture with sinkdown comfort and touch me fabrics; everywhere a place to put a drink or a soft throw to warm yourself are at hand.

The beds would suit The Princess and the Pea, and each uncluttered room has distinct character and charming details. (Not a teddy bear on every rickety chair and bowlfuls of dusty potpourri details.) Everything works, both literally and decoratively.

Tantalizing aromas drift up glossy oak banisters in the morning, and coffee -- good coffee -- is set out early enough to prevent meltdowns in early risers.

The innkeepers, Mike and Richie, are masters of working very hard to make it all look effortless, and convey ease and warmth with everything they do. I broke a mug and Richie told me the house rule is that if you break something, you have to drink a shot. I did, Jameson. At breakfast. And what a breakfast. Foodie style, local and organic, but not seaweed and wasabi finished with a reduction of eye of newt weird. Just wholesome food, imaginatively prepared and artfully composed.

Richie guided us in kayaks, and as novices we felt safe, even venturing into the main channel of the river. His knowledge of river lore and passion for nature made the trip more memorable. An idyllic spot any time, but especially to mark an occasion. Bravissimo!

1 Thank Rebecca C
Ames, IA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

We spent three nights at the Turning Waters Bed, Breakfast and Adventure; it was excellent in every respect. The house is a turn of the century home built by a lumber magnate and the house reflects this fact, with rich wood finish throughout - floors, doors/windows and frames and wainscotting - all beautifully restored. Some of the hardwood flooring is new however, but still wonderfully done.

We stayed in the River Room, which is a recently-created two room suite. The bed was very comfortable, the jacuzzi was great fun and the overall decor was restful. But the biggest surprise was the breakfasts that Richie and Mike (they alternate) put on; they are truly gourmet and definitely not run of the mill. Almost everything is made from scratch, or purchased from a supplier that makes it from scratch, so the tastes and textures are truly memorable. Everyone attending was taking pictures and searching for the next best superlative to describe the food. Food was in abundance, so you save by not having to buy lunch!!

Richie and Mike are great hosts and supply complementary wine and beer for an evening break. The common areas are very restful with comfortable chairs and sofas.

Richie offers kayak trips along the Mississippi and into the backwaters. We were very happy we took advatange of this. We visited in late October and saw at least 2 dozen eagles - in trees, in the air - some were juveniles and some were adults. Richie is a patient teacher - I had never kayaked before - and is very knowledgeable about the flora of the river. We had a great 5 hour outing at a very reasonable cost.

If you are looking at other activities in or about Wabasha, I highly recommend the National Eagle Center in Wabasha, which puts on a great 1-hr presentation about Eagles - complete with a real eagle - at 11, 1 and 3. And for dinner one evening, we ate at the Habor View Cafe in Pepin. Excellent, excellent food from a menu that changes weekly; just remember they take only cash or checks. Anbd most people leave with a doggy bag; the portions are delicious and generous.

And of course, the drive around Lake Pepin is a real treat as well.

It was a memorable weekend, and one I highly recommend to others

1 Thank chillin51
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wabasha
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Lake City
Cobblestone Inn and Suites Durand, WI
Willows on the River
Willows on the River
#3 of 3 in Lake City
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Wabasha

Been to Turning Waters Bed, Breakfast and Adventure? Share your experiences!