“Nightmare!!”

Eastwood Inn of Wadena
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Wadena
Reviewed 4 February 2013

First they lost my reservation....the lobby was hard to find and had NO heat. Then finding our room was a challange-wish we wouldn't have found it!! The room was flithy, smelled like a cat box and there were dead bugs all over the bathroom. It was horrible-I will never consider staying there again...no matter how desperate for a room I am. Also, the add says that it was updated in 2010-that's a crock-maybe 1960!! Health inspector should make a stop here!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank marcy1979
eastwoodinn, Manager at Eastwood Inn of Wadena, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

We like to thank all the people who have commented for Eastwood inn of Wadena, we read all the reviews and take them into our consideration to make things better, we have committed ourselves to provide our guests with better service, we have improved our staff and did room renovations. We have looked at the comments of people complaining about the Parking lot, it’s now paved and fixed. Some people have commented about the pool and the tub we have created a garden instead of the unpleasant look of the pool and the tub that was destroyed by the Tornado. We are trying our best now to make sure we provide our guests with the best service possible and we appreciate the feedback to make us better. We have resolved all the issues mentioned in the comment posts by the previous guests and will continuously try and make things better.

Reviewed 7 November 2012

We did not have high expectations staying in Wadena for deer hunting but the integrity of the ownership is displayed in every aspect of the hotel. First, posting room rates for $53 a night online and charging $30 more for both rooms we had and all 3 nights just because it's deer hunting weekend and we needed a place. We had to plug in the lights, no wake up calls, no fitted sheet on the bottom so you could turn and end up sleeping on the stained mattress, worst off no maid service for the 3 days. (no new towels, made beds, garbage anything) Actually they did not have anyone in the office or working their after the first day. The place is just a dump with it apparent that the owner does not care about it or worse the customers at all. Do not stay here and help run it out of buisness. The mexican restaurant next door is decent. That's where we had to go for ice and had a couple decent meals.

Room Tip: All noisy and crappy. Want a good room? Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank nate c
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I stayed here twice in July 2012 because unfortunately they're the only reasonably priced game in town.

In almost every other city I stayed in (I had about 40 nights in hotels the summer of 2012), I could find a decent room for around $50 or less per night. When I found Eastwood Inn Wadena on Expedia for $43 with tax, I thought I'd give it a try.

My first visit I was asked to pay $12 more than I had reserved the room for because of their issue with Expedia. Thankfully they fixed it and told me that they would honor the lower rate on my next visit. When I finally got to my room, it smelled like smoke, the mattress was mounted on an angle, and the tub backed up. There was also no WiFi, contrary to the listing for it on their website. It was not a good stay, but luckily it was only for one night. I hoped the next time would be better, and again, the price was the best I could find in the area I needed to stay.

So a few weeks later I arrived for my next stay. The first thing I had to do was wait 10 minutes for the desk clerk to show up and check me. A sign on the front door directed me to call a number if the door was locked. This was 8:30 PM on a Sunday night, and I was locked out. Once I got in, I was told by the same clerk I dealt with a few weeks back that the "boss" had a problem with my reserved rate and I'd need to pay full price, or $12 more per night. Again, I was able to talk the desk clerk out of it, but it didn't make for a very welcoming experience.

Thankfully, this stay I got a different room that did not smell like smoke. However, there was still no WiFi. And, the first night I didn't get maid service. And perhaps worst of all, the phone did not work, so I had to waste cell minutes calling my wife rather than having her call me at the hotel. It also made me think, what if there was an emergency and my cell phone was dead? No front desk, no 911. Not good. When my wife called the hotel to ask for my room, they told her I was aware that I had no phone, but they never told me - I found out on my own. So on top of all these other items, they lied to my wife, as well.

I stay in a lot of hotels and read a lot of negative reviews. In most cases, I'm reading about isolated incidents. In this case, I have two separate stays for a total of four nights where I can speak to the overall quality of the hotel. It's not worth the $43 I paid, and absolutely not the $55 they were asking. I will be avoiding Eastwood Inn Wadena in the future to be sure.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Mike S
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Where do I begin? On a night where all of Wadena was sold out, my reservation was "lost" by the hotel. "Luckily," I was told that one room was available, albeit with a smaller bed and a higher price. No owner or manager was available to address my concerns. The room itself was disgusting. Next time I will drive the extra 15 miles each way to avoid this terrible excuse for a hotel.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SelvinAndrade
Reviewed 21 July 2012

This place is a neglected run down dump. The swimming pool and hot tub were partially filled with swamp water. Parking lot is crumbling. Exterior light over our door was missing the build and the cover. Lights in room had burnt out bulbs. Check in staff did as little as possible.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Magnum539
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Right off the bat, they muffed my reservation! I made reservations a few days ahead of time and got a confirmation number to boot. So check-in goes like this: Finally found the "lobby" which had a sign on the desk to call this cell phone #. Weird. When our clerk, the sole employee at this establishment arrived, my reservation was non-existant but she was helpful and got us checked in. When I contacted her on her cell, she asked if I had a reservation - which I think now is odd since the parking lot was empty then, and remained that way through the night - looks like we were the only people to check in! Room was old with old, very dusty broken furniture. No big deal, the sheets were clean and bed was adequate. Bathroom, although small was clean enough as well.
The depressing: It appears that the owner is not at all interested in re-investing in this place which, I think still holds potential. Everything about this hotel is tired and worn with no sign of even the slightest effort to perk it up. The Eastwood Inn of Wadena is sorely mis-represented on their web site. I can tell you our room looked nothing like the room on the web site. The winter photo of the building is pretty accurate - thats why I say it has potential. We spied a pool and hot tub out back with a bunch more (empty) rooms. The pool and hot tube were abandoned with the normal gross polluted water on the bottom.
One bright spot is the semi-attached Mexican restaurant. The food and sevice were excellent but, the furniture is all tired and duct-taped as is the carpet. One table in there is actually a utility folding table so, it appears to be the same owner - just taking and no reinvesting. Depressing.

Room Tip: Ask for the "room in the picture" from their web site.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rodeguys
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I arrived in Wadena @ 10:30 PM and completely drove past this place because there were absolutely no lights on to see that it even existed. I saw lights on at the Mexican restaurant and went in to ask where the motel was. Was told to go next door and look for a phone number to call. I had a reservation (made by the organization I was traveling for) but no one was at the motel to check me in - even though their website says the "front desk is open Sunday - Saturday 2PM - 12AM"! I had to call 2 different phone numbers only to find out I had to pick up my key from a mailbox outside the front door! I had to find my room in the dark by driving around and shining my headlights at room doors.

Once I found my room, I was horrified at its condition. It smelled terrible (a musty odor like a cabin that had been closed up for years). The floor had "soft spots" that made me feel like I was going to fall through. The heater didn't work so I was pretty chilly. I couldn't bring myself to sleep in the bed so I put my Aerobed mattress on top of the bed. The bathroom was dingy with bars of soap that were discoloring (from age?) and 2 of the 4 white towels weren't white but had that "dingy gray" gray color that old towels have. I was the ONLY person at the hotel the night I stayed there and didn't sleep a wink because I was pretty scared at being the only person at a dark motel.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here! Their website makes the place look decent; don't be fooled by the photos on t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank PuzzleSadie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wadena
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#1 of 2 in Staples
Brookside Motel
Brookside Motel
#2 of 5 in Wadena
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Wadena

Been to Eastwood Inn of Wadena? Share your experiences!