“Walking Where Laura Walked”
Review of Plum Creek

Type: Other
More attraction details
Owner description: Site made famous by author Laura Ingalls.
Walnut Grove, Minnesota
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Walking Where Laura Walked”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I visit this site often and it is beautiful every time. You can access Plum Creek at two locations: Ingalls Dugout Site ($5 per vehicle) or Lower Plum Creek County Park (FREE)

Visited June 2012
2 Thank nikzig1773

• Korean first
Middleton, Wisconsin
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Must see for any Little House on the Prairie fan”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Great experience! Just like it was described in the book. Nice to see the creek in person. Also you can see where the original dugout was.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Kristi S
Long Beach, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A Great Opportunity for Laura Ingalls Fans”
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I think it's awesome that the folks who now own this land have opened it up to the public. It's so neat to be able to wade in the creek, walk through the prairie, and see the dug out site. When we took our little hike we saw butterflies and LOTS of frogs and beautiful little dragon flies. Grasshoppers too. It was fun.

Visited July 2011
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Plum Creek site is okay, make sure to go on Pagaent Weekends”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Visited the Plum Creek Laura Ingalls Dugout site on the first pageant weekend in July. This is a private site, maintained by the farm family that owns the property. The dugout house as collaspsed overtime and basically it is a whole in the ground now. They do have nice markers about where the house was, where the spring is that feeds water into the creek and the big rock that Laura wrote about.

I can see how the previous reviewer wrote about being disappointed, the town is pretty small and quiet on non-pageant weekends. I would not make a special trip unless I was planning to drive through already or going for the pageant weekend events.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank amy1510
Asheville, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 2 June 2011

In May, 2011, me and a few friends visited Walnut Grove, MN during a road trip. My sister and I are big fans of the Laura Ingles Wilder stories. We were extremely excited about having lunch at Nelly's Diner, shopping at Oleson's Mercantile, visiting the museum and the dugout, and swimming in Plum Creek! But, the town was a ghost town! Everything was run down and poorly maintained. I was very disappointed! It was NOTHING like the website made it out to be. We had planned on camping at the campground near Plum Creek, and it was ok (nothing to write home about). However, the weather was not suitable. We then had to drive another 45 minutes to find a decent place to stay. We had planned to stay for two days here. Instead, we decided to continue our trip the next morning and drive straight to Tennessee (approximately 19 hours). We didn't visit any of the sites during our visit because it simply wasn't worth our time! Sadly, I don't have any pictures. But, trust me; it's a long stretch of road leading to a whole bunch of nothing!

Visited May 2011