“Disappointed”

Sakatah Lake State Park
Reviewed 28 June 2014

No staff at the entrance and a map that was not at all accurate. I'm sure the scenery is great. Unfortunately we were there during the wettest June on record. Still we expected mud and water so that wasn't surprising. But having no one to help guide us on which trails might be drier and then having a map that was obviously not accurate did not help. We did not get to Minneopa, but Nerstrand was much better even though it too was muddy and some trails were completely underwater. Note that the Sakatah TRAIL is very nice. But that's another thing, you would think that if there was a State Trail going through a State Park there'd be trail access with parking there. You'd be wrong.

1  Thank nellie00

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I came here this last summer for hiking. The hike we set up was about 6.5 miles long. from the very start me and my friend were pulling woodticks off of our legs. I would say for the 3 hours we hiked here we pulled about 25 woodticks off each. Aside from the bugs the area was really nice. Part of the hike went along the edge of the lake and the breeze was really nice it helped keep the mosquitos away. Even with maps my buddy and I got lost out there for a little while. We ended up getting help with our bearings from two wildlife photographers dressed in bee keeper suits to keep the insects off of them. The hikes thru the woods were really insect infested. Between biting gnats and mosquitos it wasn't the most fun. The hike ended up by the lake again and there were some real nice hills to hike up and down in that section. It was a really nice hike with lots and lots of birds when we went. I would go back earlier or later in the year to avoid the woodticks.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is a very nice park. It's a beautiful setting with the woods all around you. We were there during the week and it was so peaceful. Wonderful bike/hiking trails. The campsites are not on
the lake but the lake is a short distance away. It has a real nice pier to fish off of. We caught a variety ( bluegill, crappie, perch to name a few). The mosquitos were horrible but that isn't the
parks fault. I especially enjoyed listening to the song birds during the day and owls at night. We will be visiting there again.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

I actually live in this town, so I may be biased. But, especially in the fall, this park is gorgeous. It's quiet, peaceful, and full of wildlife. I've walked the trail several times, and it's always well-kept.