“Dissapointed”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have visited this place on several occasions including Christmas Day, and have always had an enjoyable meal, but on the last two occasions have been very disappointed, the first meal a chilli was absolutely tasteless, and there was an abundance of rice, this week 18th May, had a lasagne, which again had no flavour and was a very strange colour, didn't look homemade!, I ordered the meringue with Summer Fruits, ha ha, the meringue was hard , the fruits were either frozen or tinned and there was a dollop of cream on top, I didn't eat it !!, I asked the waitress if there was a different Chef, and she said yes and was very apologetic about the food, when I went to pay I mentioned to the Barman about the food and he was very offhand and not interested, so much for customer service, will be a while I return, and I'm not the only one complaining

3  Thank fussy66

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We ate here Sunday 11th may and ordered the roast , it wasn't the best for £10.95, tasteless beef cut with a laser beam, gravy like water, smallest Yorkshire pudding, veg very hard, cleverly served on large plates so looks like you getting more, service was really good, but wouldn't return for the roast. Eaten here before and loved the steaks so next time it'll be steak !

1  Thank arquett
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Went here on Easter Monday for lunch when the place was very busy. We were informed when ordering that there would be a wait for food. I ordered the sweet chilli chicken noodles from the specials board which said it came with garlic bread and salad. When the food arrived there was no salad. I pointed this out to the waitress who said "sorry, we've run out of lettuce". I wasn't too impressed with this and felt that a discount should have been offered, something else provided in its place or we should have been told when we ordered. The food was all very basic. The garlic bread was the frozen type you buy in the supermarket and there was nothing extra in the noodles, it was just noodles, chicken and sauce. My Mum had a salad (they obviously hadn't run out for her!) but this was just lettuce, tomato and cucumber. Saying this, the food was nice but don't expect anything fancy; its very home cooked style. The portion sizes are good and the menu is varied with something for everyone. Its a lovely setting by the river, very relaxing.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Extensive choice of food and nice meals. Good views and location by the river. Service polite although was a little erratic at times.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Well I was advised by family and friends, that this would be a good place to bring my family for a meal and a few relaxing hours next to the river. Since it was my sons tenth birthday today and he decided he wanted to do such a thing, we visited Five Miles From Anywhere.
Now admittedly, as I am very ill I wasn't wearing makeup, but I was still clean, tidy and polite, same as my husband and children. We turned up in our old 4x4 as that is the family car - there's 6 of us and we don't all fit in the nice smart saloon car. The children were behaved too.
So we walked in there, ordered a round of drinks and were offered the menus, which we took to peruse. The girl behind the bar asked if we wanted a tab, we accepted.... Until the other woman said to her she had to keep our card to do so. The girl took it and pocketed it for a minute or so, then put it in a glass in clear view of everyone at the bar, numbers visible and everything. So my husband said if that was where his card was to stay, he would pay the drinks bill there and then, not to worry about the tab. He then got given his card back, but not a word off the girl apart from the amount he had to pay.
This made us uncomfortable. We took the menus and sat outside with the children. But, we were being stared at, maybe it was because I was walking strangely (my illness affects my mobility), maybe it's because we had pulled up in an old, but not scruffy, truck.... But the general attitude of the staff made me feel more and more like we were being judged.

So if you're going to visit, might want to make sure you look middle class! Then I'm sure you'll get a lovely reception off the staff... Being ill with 4 young children and visiting on a Thursday in a Shogun is obviously a no-no.... We won't be going back!

Also, the play area was bad, there was an unsecured slide that could've caused an accident, the beer tasted weak apparently and my archers and lemonade had a strange Milton like smell and taste to it...

5  Thank Ria B