“Best hotel in Winona...but could use a tune-up on a few things”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Winona
Reviewed 31 March 2013

This is my second time staying in this hotel, once when they opened a few years ago and this past weekend. Let me start by saying this is by far, the nicest hotel in Winona. Clean, nice staff, decent free breakfast, nice pool area. The only items I noticed on the most recent stay were just a few things that with a little more care and deep cleaning, could easily be fixed to make it really shine.
The items being:
- we had a room with a suite and table with chairs, one of lightbulbs were burned out above the table, making it darker in the room
- I noticed that ALL carpet edging and corners in the hotel (rooms, halls, etc.) are dusty or dirty and have not been vacuumed for some time
- It may have just been our room, but the sleeping pillows were HORRIBLE. I am assuming the originals from a few years ago--based on them being bumpy, disformed, not really even what I would even define as a pillow. An "F" grade on the pillows.
With just a few tweaks, this hotel could really shine again and warrant the prices they charge and probably score an excellent.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 March 2013

My mother was in the hospital in Winona. She was not going to make it and I was exhausted. My husband got a room at the holiday inn express in Winona. It was 11 AM when we went over there. I had been up all night. The desk staff was great about finding me a room we could check into early. I so appreciated that. The room was great, bed comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Holiday I, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2013

Dear JLTTKS 111,

Thank you so much for the kind review. We were happy to help and hope all is well with your family.!

Reviewed 7 March 2013

The room was clean, spacious, and comfortable with flat screen tvs in the bedroom and bathroom. Granite counter top small counter/bar coffee area. Great bedding that was comfortable and clean. The cheeze wiz eggs on the complimentary breakfast have become something of legend for my husband. There is an Italian restaurant across the parking lot with pretty good food and yummy wine.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We stayed here on Wednesday Dec 5th for a funeral. We were able to check in at 2 pm and the front desk staff was pleasant. Apparently the maid forgot to dust our room because there was dust everywhere and for the price that I paid for the room I would expect superior service. The beds were very comfortable. The next morning when we went to breakfast at 8:15 am - breakfast from 6:30 to 9:30, the pancake machine was out and the orange juice was out. I mentioned to the woman working there that the orange juice was out. She glared at me and then started slamming the cupboard doors and then got out a new juice carton and then was throwing the juice top and the empty carton around. After this display, I did not even mention the pancake machine. Later she was out cleaning the tables and the floor and had the same bad attitude slamming the chairs and the vacuum into the tables.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

Dear Laura C,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept my sincerest apology for the service you encountered that affected your stay negatively. I am also sorry for the issues you had with our breakfast servings and any inconvenience you may have experienced. Rest assured, your feedback will be reviewed and be forwarded to the appropriate parties to take actions accordingly. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 8 December 2012

Nice hotel. Very friendly staff, especially Allan at the front desk. Comfortable room with nice bed.
Outside street noise a bit loud in the morning will wake you up before your alarm. The price of $155 including tax for 1 night is realy way too much and out of line for a Holiday Express for a 1 night stay in Winona MN. Would stay here again only if the prices get real.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We really like this hotel. We needed a room to sleep 6 comfortably. We stayed in the 3Qn Suite. It was perfect! The room was large. It was very clean. Two beds in one seperate bedroom and another bed in even another seperate room. Each room had their own flat screen tv, including the bathroom. The Suite had a seperate living area as well, with a fold out bed. We had plenty of room. It also included a mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker and table and chairs. The beds were very comfortable. The Free breakfast was wonderful...it included scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, pancakes..muffins, rolls, cereal..etc... I would gladly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Charlene H
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Pleasantly surprised by how comfortable the bed were! I was in a King Suite and normally, the king beds are not the best in Holiday Inns. This one caught me by surprise! The TV in the bathrooms was a nice touch also! The cleanliness of the hotel was very good. I did not use the pool, but I walked through the pool area and it looked great. The breakfast is better than most, especially the pancakes! The hotel was very quiet; I never heard anything from the hallways or other rooms. Staff was attentive and friendly!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winona
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Winona
The Plaza Hotel & Suites
Days Inn Winona
Days Inn Winona
#5 of 7 in Winona
Express Suites Riverport Conference and Event Center
Hampton Inn & Suites La Crosse Downtown
AmericInn Hotel & Conference Center La Crosse - Riverfront

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona? Share your experiences!